Can anyone compare a M4 vs. Ultrastinger?

blackhawk

Newly Enlightened
I've searched but can't find any head to head comparisons. The M4 seems perfect for me but at $200 or so + the cost of lithiums it would get expensive for me to run. The Ultrastinger looks real good also, especially being rechargable. Anyone have any opinions? Or can anyone suggest any other alternatives?

Thanks.
Walter

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
I have one of each, and will test them against each other tonight for you. I have only had the UltraStinger for 10 days, and I must admit, I had not even thought of comparing them. If I find them equivilant, I am going to feel really, really dumb for having both. I am an LEO, and use the M4 at High Risk Vehicle Stops, and bought the UltraStinger for use as a bright rechargeable for general patrol use. I will let you know sometime around 0000 Central Time tonight.

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
I performed an unscientific test using the back of a 4 storey Lutheran Church a block from my house. The UltraStinger lit up the entire rear of the church, with a very white bright spot of about the same size as a car with the reflector set at its tightest,( the setting that it comes from the factory at) Turning the reflector causes the bright spot to go away, but there is still a lot of illumination going downrange.

The M4 on the other hand, is a different breed of cat. At the same distance, the M4 also lights up the entire church back. However, the bright spot is at least twice as large as the UltraStingers, and is also noticably brighter.

In comparison, the M4 is the much more powerful light, but the UltraStinger is nevertheless also a powerful light in its own right. One must remember, however, that the M4 was designed as part of the Force Option Continuum for Law Enforcement, and can easily considered a Optical Weapon. While the UltraStinger is not as powerful as an M4, I will say that is more powerful than the Alley Lights on my Federal JetStream lightbar. I would unhesitatingly reccomend the UltraStinger to anyone.

blackhawk

Newly Enlightened
Scott,
Thanks for the comparison test. That is just the type of info I was looking for.
If you could bother you with a couple of questions:

What lamp did you have in the M4?

Do you think the Ultrastinger could be used as a Optical weapon in a pinch?

Thanks again.
Walter

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
The test was run with the MN61 bulb in the M4.

I think the UltraStinger would perform very well indeed as an Optical Stun Device. My friend Scott Campbell picked it up last week, pointed it at himself, and turned it on, saying, " Is this bright?" Scott says he could only see a puple spot for almost a minute afterwards. Now you know why Scott doesn't get to pick up my HK USP45F. BOOM!!!

blackhawk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Scott for all your help. I think for right now an Ultrastinger will work nicely.

Walter

JB

Enlightened
Thanks for the comparison test Scott. I did think you'd have the MN61 in your M4. Any chance you could test the MN60 against the UltraStinger?

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
I am afraid that for some reason my M4 came with a MN61 in the light, and a spare MN61 module, so, alas, I have no MN60 to test. I fear this is a case of 'I would, if I could; but I can't, so I won't'. It does seem rather odd that SureFire would give me two of the high power bulbs, doesn't it. My guess is that a M4 w/MN60 = UltraStinger, at less than half the price. I did just trot out onto the porch, and tried the UltraStinger against my M3 w/MN10, and found them to be almost identical, with very,very similar amount of St. Pauls being lit up. Therefore, a M3/UltraStinger is probably a better comparison. I must qualify my tests by restating that my UltraStinger is only a week and a half old, and the owners manual does say that it will take several battery cycles for the battery to be functioning at full efficiency, so the thing may get slightly more powerful over the next months.

JB

Enlightened
What, you have the M3 as well? Now, I'm jealous
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire M4 came with two MN61 Lamp Modules to begin with because the MN60 was not ready.

I believe the latest versions of the M4 come with the MN60 and MN61 Lamp Modules, a Pyrex Lens TurboHead and a body with a "notch" for the LockOut TailCap to line up with.

Can anyone please take some photos comparing the UltraStinger with SureFires?

Thanks

Al