Eddie Bauer 1 watt at Target vs. Rev1 ARC 4+

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from target a few minutes ago where I saw a 1 watt luxeon with an "eddie bauer" (who is this guy anyhow?) brand name. It was preloaded with batteries and could be activated while in the package. Very bright light and excellent tint. I looked at the light from two of them side by side each other (through the package!) and next to my arc4+ rev1. Both were whiter and at least equal in brightness to my Arc4+ on it's highest setting (say it isn't so!!!!).

These lights claim "90.5 mw opi" and it has a "power e-chip" in it. Maybe that means its requlated or something. They were 39.99 in Cumming, Ga. and it was about the size of a 2 AA light but it made no mention of what kind of batteries it ran on.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eddie Bauer is a sport/outdoor clothing company, they also do home furnishings. It's the name of the guy who started it many, many, many years ago.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
be a biger light im sure it is able to use a biger reflecter so it will have more lux. but thats just my opion i could bhe wrong

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie , it seemed to be using a optic set in a reflector , and yes it certainly did have a bigger head/focuser.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
It's made by Coast.The same light as a Ledlenser v2.Takes n cells.I have one.Mine is very bright,but mine has a lowdome and is blue in the center and turns green towards the outside.

McShawn

Enlightened
Yep, coachbigdog is correct, I have a couple of their light and all are really bright but don't seem as sturdy nor water-proof as other manufactures.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
isn't the v2 power chip the 2 watt nichia led ?

I have a panasonic headlamp with a 2 watt nichia led

E

EchoSierraTwo

it aint so (I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

coccolithophorid

Newly Enlightened
These two lights are not even in the same league, not even in the same ball park. The Eddie Bauer light may be an LED flashlight, but that's about where the similarities end.

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
coccolithophorid said:
These two lights are not even in the same league, not even in the same ball park. The Eddie Bauer light may be an LED flashlight, but that's about where the similarities end.

[/ QUOTE ] HAHAHA! one of my favorite movies.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The "Eddir Bauer" e-chip whatnot light is definitely a Coast/LED Lenser V2 luxeon - it uses a Fraen optic, which likely wouldn't work so well with a Nichia Jupiter SMD 1.7W LED.

Here are the downsides:
* Not water resistant
* No lens in front of the optic
* Laughable runtime due to use of N cells

Keep your Arc4.

I do find it interesting that they chose to use an optical power measurement - that sort of measurement is more commonly used for IR/UV LEDs or blue LEDs used for resin curing...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I showed Idleprocess and others my ledlenser v2 overdriven to almost 5 watts with battlepack nimh N cells at the DFW get together last month.
The 500 milliamp N cell nimh batteries last about 25 minutes before the light noticably starts dimming.
The optic's donut hole in the middle doesn't go all the way through, so it's watertight.
If you use epoxy to fill the little holes in the head, the light becomes water resistant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The rubber switch cover is the light's main weakness since it tears easy and there's only one replacement in the tail under the battery spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I had no idea that your V2 was overdriven - I just remember it being a heck of a lot brighter than all other V2s I've seen. NiMH would do it. I've heard that runtime on alkaline N cells is around 10 minutes of decently bright light followed by a longer period of "moon" output.

My rub on the optic is that it's going to get scratched without a lens in front of it.

I like the look of LED-Lenser lights; I just wish they'd address some of their shortcomings (wierd batteries, lack of many environmental protections).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Target finally opened up in this town a few days ago and I spent some time messing about in there with my daughter today. IT was SO crowded that you literally couldn't turn around, and she being 4 wanted to skip up and down the isles which was causing numerous collisions between people with shopping carts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (just to give you an idea, there were NO carts left. They were ALL in the store and people were standing around waiting for the guys in the parking lot to bring in batches)

So I pretty much abandoned the idea of waiting in line and purchasing anything in the first 30 seconds in the store. But I did make a point of walking through the section with these lights.

If it had cost $20 I would probably have walked out with one, but at twice that it's just not convincing me. For $10 more I can have something really nice from Electrolumans or somebody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif , so I'm passing on it.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
James said:

"If it had cost $20 I would probably have walked out with one, but at twice that it's just not convincing me. For $10 more I can have something really nice from Electrolumans or somebody , so I'm passing on it."

Well said! When I saw it my main thought was it can't be bright for very long on N cells. And my second thought was:

GEEZ! That's about half the cost of getting my KL3 "Chop" ed... NO WAY!

It is a VERY interesting light however!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
This company knows how to make a very attractive looking light and I have always wanted some of their products however have never purchased any.I kind of shy away due to the battery types they use.What is it about this company that makes them choose such weird battery combinations?....Is it maybe that this is the most available battery in the country where they are produced or even maybe just a personal preference of the makers.I really cant understand how such a great looking light could always fall short with weird battery combinations.I was dissapointed recently as I thought the Tactical version that used 3-AAAs with a 1 watt was available at Target and I had read the card on the shelf wrong.It was a space for the N cell 1 watt that was empty and I waited for weeks for Target to re-stock and all they have now is this N cell version.It seems that I have read many posts that complained about these lights and the battery choices.Why is it that they never make any with more acceptable battery choices?...I mean there must be a reason they continue to leave these lights as not water tight and with N cells.

tech

Newly Enlightened
Lenser makes so many lights... could you guys be more specific in what you saw at Target?
I just lost my LSH a couple of weeks ago, and need a replacement...

Thanks,
TK