Why get KL4 when you can get KL1?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
The new KL1 is half the price, drastically out-throws the KL4, and has twice the runtime. I could care less that it puts out less flood and a bit less overall light.

So why would anybody get a KL4 when you can get a KL1? Surefire sure did a good job of making one of their products obsolete.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ONLY thing I like about the KL1 is the price.

I don't like the optics (I've never seen optics that can match beam quality of a good textured reflector), and I don't like spot beams (a beam without sidespill is IMO useless, except at far range). My current Surefires with optics (L1s and KL3s) have extremely disapointing beam quality. Also, the reviews on the NEW KL1 suggest its a spot beam with almost no sidespill, which I find useless.

If the KL4 has the same excellent textured reflector as the L2/L4, I'd definitely prefer this configuration. I love the beam quality on my L2s, no artifacts and wonderful transition from hotspot to corona. Plus, it lights up a whole room in all directions, as opposed to a spot beam that only lights up a small area but very brightly.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
The new Inova XO, T1, T2 and T3 lights should out throw the KL1 for even less money. Along with many other brands now being sold.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I love my KL4 wall of light! It was great when I recently went to a cornmaze and had to find people hiding in the corn. It lit up absolutely everything in the area. I wish is was a little closer in price to the new KL1 but I still think it has great uses and I won't be swapping it out anytime soon.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 puts out a nice wide beam that is very useful and packs enough punch to light things up far enough away for me. My girlfriend has my prized L4 now, and she uses it more than I do!

If I want to see something farther away I have a L6 and soon a x990!

I think the KL4 is one of the most useful out of the KL series. I belive the only slight flaw of the KL4 is runtime. If Pk can get a KL4 have the runtime of the original KL1 on 2x123s (4hrs) I will drive to Fountain Valley and buy him a beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
The new KL1 is half the price, drastically out-throws the KL4, and has twice the runtime. I could care less that it puts out less flood and a bit less overall light.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, fair enough, I'll put you down as one person who couldn't care less that the KL1 makes less light than the KL4, and focuses that ouput into a laser like "spot" beam with no sidespill.

[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
So why would anybody get a KL4 when you can get a KL1? Surefire sure did a good job of making one of their products obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people would get one because it produces a bright, beautiful flood of light that is unavailable in anything else in its form factor. The KL4 is unsurpassed in evenly lighting up an area with a "wall of light", without having to wave your light around.

IMO, nothing has been made obsolete with the new style KL1. I do think they will become a very popular platform for reflector mods.

Peter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
redcar said:

The L4 uses the KL4 as its head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so that is good news as it has the excellent reflector of the L4.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
...So why would anybody get a KL4 when you can get a KL1? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The real question is how will you use the light, what is its purpose and how much are you willing to spend? Once you answer those questions you will have answered the thread title.

Brightnorm

supes

Enlightened
I was about to buy the L4 now this new KL1 comes out. Decisions! Does anyone have beam shots of the new KL1 and the KL4? Thanks

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
supes said:
...Decisions! Does anyone have beam shots of the new KL1 and the KL4? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a photograph of the two flashlight's beams together.

l4vskl1.jpg

KL4 is on the left, new-style KL1 is on the right.
Flashlights were ~5 feet from an off-white wall for this photograph.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:

IMO, nothing has been made obsolete with the new style KL1. I do think they will become a very popular platform for reflector mods.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even the old KL1? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Not even the old KL1? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends, if you want more flood out of your KL1 and possibly runtime.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm surprised SF didn't come out with a whole new name for the KL1-Lux3 since it is completely different from the KL1-Lux1. The Lux1 version is a long runtime flood light, the Lux3 version is a not-so-long runtime throw light.

The only similarities at this time are the battery configs supported by both and the fact that they both use optics - although completely different optics.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a new KL1 yet, but it seems to me that it is territory that we've already covered. From what I've read on the forums, the KL1 performs likes many KL1's already do. That is, those that have been modified to run at 700mA and have a Fraen LP.

I suppose I'll have to grab one and see for myself.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Does anyone know the current draw for the new KL1, and the approx. runtime with 1 and 2 Cr123's?

I'm hoping for better than 90 min. on 1 CR123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you don't likw it, I'll take it off your hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(same goes for anybody with a new-style KL1 Lux3 in like-new condition they don't want - it's only a PM away from a new home..)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
frankly ... what will you do with a weak light (the new KL1) that has a spot beam? Won't throw that far anyway and is useless in close quarters with a blinding spot and no spill.
Sure, it sounds impressive, but ... what will you really do with it?

Take an L4 ... click it on and see *everything* in your backyard ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Take a larger light with a spot beam to see really far ... that tree over there .. that sound ...

Take the new KL1 and ... have to move the beam around to see a fraction of your backyard or point it at that tree ... seeing just a faint glow ...

bernhard

P.S.: of course I do not have one all this is pure speculation on my part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... and the look of it is stunning, I admit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
i dont understand people who love lights with mcGizmo-prt heads or let tune the KL1 to have it brighter and a spot like beam. these people now say that the KL1 is useless???

the new KL1 is the light i waited for. i like it and will buy it when available.

Latest posts