Confused about Inova T-series?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifHi!

I have read mouch about the T-series from Inova and what is supposed to be the burn time for each of them.The most common burntime data for the T1 and T2 is 2 hours,but i have also read on some websites that the T1 and T2 has 5 hours burntime.

If it´s true that the T2 has 5 hours burn time,then i regret that i baught the XO which also has 5 hours burn time,except for that the XO is a 1 watter while the T2 is a 2 watter.I baught the XO because i thought it had longer burntime than the T2,but now i would like to know:

What is the correct burntime for the T2?? Does it have a strong 5 hours burntime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Some sites also claims that the T2 has a 175 feet range,while other sites claims that it has a 200 feet range. Which is the correct data?

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the T2 should perform just the same as your XO. I don't know where the two watt rumor came from, but the T2 is pretty much just the T-series version of the XO: 1-watt Luxeon LED, two CR123 cells. Burn time should be the same, 5 hours.

As for the throw, I don't know. I usually don't put a lot of stock in those numbers until someone here at CPF verifies them.

And like I said... If I'm wrong, sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i wish i can do runtime tests, hehe, my T1 is still on the stock CR123A. i think it may be 1.5-2hrs at full brightness, then it may go into dim-but-still-useable mode for another 3 hrs. i'll report when the batt runs out.

JML

Enlightened
I think most of the website confusion about the XO series and the T series comes from Inova's inconsistent pre-release information about both series of lights. Stuff seems to have been in flux, and there's little official word but for the packages themselves, which ,may not always be trustworthy.

The Luxeon III models were not revealed until Sharper Image sold the X03, which has a wider and perhaps longer TIROS module than the other lights. The T3 is apparently the same light as the X03, with the exception of checkering and the clickie, and that appears to have prompted them to change the prior statements about, and production of, what they named the T1 and T2 (the T2 was supposed to be a 3W LED, but it's obviously a 1W LED).

So the X0 and the T2 are the same, with a 1W LED and 2 CR123 batteries. The X03 and the T3 are the same, with a 3W LED and 2 CR123 batteries. The T1 is the baby, with a 1W LEd and one CR123 battery, and has no current X series version (I wonder if they're going to do that and replace the X5T). The throw ought to be the same for each pairing.

But even the mfr. literature might be "off." For example, the latest info on the X03 claims 82 lumens, and the T3 claims 85 lumens.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Just to clear up the confusion...I have all 3 in front of me and here are the specs:

T1 - "1.5 Watt, 35 lumens, 1.5 hour burn time (regulated), 150 ft effective range"

T2 - "2 Watt, 40 lumens, 5 hour burn time (regulated), 175' effective range"

T3 - 3.2 Watt, 85 lumens, 2 hour burn time (regulated), 250' effective range"

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

BBL

Enlightened
T1: 1.5W x 1.5h = 2.25Wh per battery
T2: 2W x 5h / 2 = 5 Wh per battery

does anyone know why there is such an extreme difference in efficiency?

and are'nt these lights quite overdriven? i mean, 1.5 and 2W from a 1W led?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
BBL: The T1 is a 1x123 cell light. The T2 is a 2x123 cell light.

You can see some reviews that Quickbeam wrote here at Flashlightreviews.com.

BBL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
BBL: The T1 is a 1x123 cell light. The T2 is a 2x123 cell light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats why i divided by 2... 1.5x1.5 vs 2x5/2

even if the T2 had only 1.5 watts, the 5 hour runtime would be more than 3 times of the T1's - with only twice the number of batteries.

btw: where did you get that nickname from?

Mark2

Enlightened
It might have something to do with the fact that a buck circuit is more efficient than a boost circuit, but this cannot explain the huge difference.

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone out there with a T1 or any of the new Inova series
have lens rattle [loose inside]? To check remove your battery and shake the light. It seems to effect my beam quality. If I point my T1 toward the ceiling I get a nice solid white spot,but if I point it toward the floor I get a black doughnut hole in the middle? It is only 4PM EST so I have to wait until dark to find out more. Hope it is not apparent in actual use outside. At any rate I will call Inova or E-mail and let the know as well as post here......William

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I visited Merididan tactical and read about their specs about the T-serires Meridian Tactical
Here they state that the T2 is a 2 watter with up to 200 feet throw.
I also visited knifecenter who states that the T2 is a 2 watter and that it has a 175 feet throw Knifecenter

So there are two sources that claims that the T2 is a 2 watter. Yet they both claim different burntimes and effective throws.

It´s many bids,that´s why i am confused!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i have a T1, and i actually did notice that my lens shifts as well. the only reason i noticed it was because i dropped the light and i noticed that the hotspot moved off-center from the concentric circles on the outside, not by munch, but noticabley. i just whacked it in the opposite direction and and it went on center again. hiss boo!

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Leeoniya....if nothing else you now know that your dropping it did not cause the problem. I was about to get the T3, but this
shifting beam and doughnut hole is a cause for concern....do we all have to have $$$$$$ to get Surefire or have everything custom mod....?....William

Leeoniya

Enlightened
the only time i get the donut hole is when i'm about 2 or 3 inches away from the wall, the optics do not focus it that closely. but any distance further than that i dont get a donut hole, and my optics dont rattle, but they do shift a bit if you give it a good impact on the side of the head. i dont see it as a big problem, although undesirable and a "what the hell, inova" kind of problem, my focus is not affected in any way. it's just annoying to look at a hotspot that is a bit off center from the rings around the periphery, the shift isnt much at all, and mine certainly doesnt rattle or give me donuts. but i assume if there is any room for movement at all, different batches may have different amount of space, maybe allowing the optics to rattle. i dont see how you can get a donut unless your optics throw off the focus, which would mean they have to move forwards and backwards, not side to side., i hope to god they dont make any with that much room front to back. it would completely redundanate(new word)(copyright me) the TRIOS system that takes up oh-so-much precious space...it better work damnit! thankfully, mine does.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not forget, too, that wattage is power consumption, not rating of the LED. Any of the Luxeons could be run at 1 Watt. The Luxeon I could be run at 2 Watts with good heatsinking, possibly even 3 Watts.

The T1, T2, and XO use a Luxeon I (commonly, but incorrectly, called the 1 Watt) while the T3 and XO3 use the Luxeon III (commonly, but again incorrectly, called the 3 Watt). The actual wattage will depend on how much current they are fed by the regulators.

jacques

Newly Enlightened
Not hijacking your thread, just want to share some experience of the T1 and T3. I am little bit disappointing of the T3 because it looks really YELLOW compare with other LED light I've got. The picture belows shows the beam shot of the T1 and T3, it look YELLOW does it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I thinks the photo actually enhance the light from the flashlight, any ideas how to do a proper beam shot?

DSC2449.jpg

DSC2448.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif