"Extreme condition" flashlight

d'mo

Enlightened
My wife is from The Philippines. I frequently send/take lights to my in-laws, but since batteries can be expensive and the environment is VERY unforgiving cheap flashlights don't fare well. I've seen the salt air dissolve UN-anodized Aluminum, tin, cheap stainless steel, and corrode fresh batteries, all within a few days. I've even seen mold to grow INSIDE video cassette housings over night and fire ants get inside "sealed" containers. The heat has caused many a battery to leak, killing dozens of Mags. I've been searching for the ideal flashlight for extreme conditions, but have yet to find one.

The Arc-LS might do well due to it's ability to accept commonly available AAs, durability, finish and light output. Another possibility is the Free-Light, but it's lack of a constant-on switch and lack of waterproofing is unfortunate. Because the housing is black, it might also warp when exposed to the direct equatorial sun (no joke, I have video of a thermometer struggling to go above it's 125 degree limit).

So far, the Arc-AAA and Free-Light are the top contenders. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The criteria:
-Cheap, commonly available batteries or solar (preferred).
-Casing that won't warp when exposed to extreme heat.
-Casing/components that won't corrode, even when expose to salt water.
-LED (no maintenance)
-Waterproof.
-Small size.
-Bright enough for minor trail negotiation.

Thanks!!

Brock

Flashaholic
I will second the Attitude. It is completly waterproof, I have taken it to over 50 feet without any problems. The Attitude is also brghter then the Arc. If you want smaller then the Attitude the Arc can't be beat.

d'mo

Enlightened
The problem with any incandescent is that the bulb will eventually need to be replaced. Finding a spare bulb in the rural Philippines is unlikely, leaving me to ship one. Since the cost of shipping the bulb will likely be greater than the bulb itself, I'd really like to stick with an LED.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with my usual suggestion, the PT Attitude. The plastic waterproof housing is durable and should hold up well in the humidity. The three LEDs are run off of 4 AAA batts w/o any circuitry (except for the resistor). I'd be reluctant to use a regulated flashlight in your environment unless the ciruit was totally potted. Only $20 and fairly bright. Why risk a $100 flashlight unless you really need the power of an LS.

RonM

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d'mo:
So far, the Arc-AAA and Free-Light are the top contenders. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The criteria:
-Cheap, commonly available batteries or solar (preferred).
-Casing that won't warp when exposed to extreme heat.
-Casing/components that won't corrode, even when expose to salt water.
-LED (no maintenance)
-Waterproof.
-Small size.
-Bright enough for minor trail negotiation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would go with the Arc AAA. The Freelight wouldn't do well for trail negotiation. With the glare of light coming from the sides of the LED, the Freelight destroys your night vision. The Freelight seems better suited for such things as finding keyholes and up-close momentary tasks.

The PAL lights might be another contender.

d'mo

Enlightened
What are your thoughts about installing a grommet around the Free-Light LED to prevent light leakage and encasing it in something waterproof?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I like the PT Attitude, but will the plastic casing handle the heat? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't imagine the heat will be any problem at all for the case. I think if it were hot enough to damage the case, your flashlight would be the least of your worries.
blush.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
Yes, the heat really is an issue. If you've ever seen what happens to a CD or video tape when you leave it inside a car with the windows closed on a hot day, you know what I'm referring to. It's so hot, I've seen asphalt liquefy and automobile tires get VERY soft. Quite literally, you can fry an egg on anything black that's been left in the sun only for a few minutes.

Practically speaking, it would be best not to leave anything in the hot sun (except drying laundry), but there's always a chance it will happen. This is why I'm looking for something built like a tank.

Thanks for your suggestions!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d'mo:
Yes, the heat really is an issue. If you've ever seen what happens to a CD or video tape when you leave it inside a car <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I didn't test this on purpose, but I have 3 P/T attitudes, and I have left them inside my truck, on the passenger seat, sitting in the Houston TX June sun and heat for many days (all day with no breaks for turning the AC on; it was parked all day while I was at work), and there is no problem with the "plastic". So I would say that the Attitude will hold up just fine.

Are AAA batteries commonly available in the Phillipines?

I think AA batteries are more popular worldwide.

If AAA's are not readily available, consider the Olapec Newbeam, in a mini-mag conversion.

Also, a little more expensive, but very nice and much brighter than any 3 led light, is an ARC LS with the AA battery pack.

If you can get a Lambda or Daniel or Electrolumens (sp) mod, consider one of them also.

If 123 batteries are avialable, consider the Inova x5.

How about a Lightwave 2000-3000-4000?

In order, I would recommend:

1 (tie) ARC LS with AA battery pack
1 (tie) Lambda Illuminator
Both are bright, well built, and use AA batteries
2 (tie) Opalec Newbeam Mag-lite
Plus- AA batteries
2 (tie) Lightwave 2000
plus-uses AA batteries
plus-long run time (up to 300 hours)
3 Princeton Tec Attitude
Plus-Inexpensive
Plus-Long run time (but does fade but is still bright enough after 50 hours or so)
minus - uses AAA batteries
4 Inova x5
Plus-bright
plus small
minus-uses 123 lithium batteries
5 Lightwave 3000-4000
plus-uses c and d batteries
plus bright
minus heaver and larger than the others
plus very long run time (25 DAYS for the 2000, up to 30 DAYS for the 4000!)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Wanted to bump this back up. How big a concern are batteries, as in selection and cost? I don't have the Lightwaves but they sound good if you would find C or D batteries more obtainable. I don't know that I'd recommend any Luxeon based light, as it doesn't seem that BRIGHT light is what you are after and battery life will be shorter with any brighter light.
If you are in low a light environment the Infinity meets all of your requirements. I can use the Infinity, quite easily for walking, if my eyes are dark-adapted. You get a much longer runtime than the Arc AAA plus the more common (in the States) AA.
Having said that I EDC the Arc LE and Infinity (and Scorpion and Aurora) and the Arc is the one I find more useful overall. I have an Attitude (the light) and it would be good if you needed brighter and the AAA's are not a problem. I also like the PALight but don't think it would be rugged enough for this situation. Hope that helps you.

d'mo

Enlightened
Thanks to all for your replies!

Batteries are a major concern. AAAs and 123s are available, but only if you want to ride a bus for 2-3 hours to the nearest city. Akaline and lithium cells are scarce and quite expensive. Cs and Ds are available, but many are past their expiration dates. Believe it or not, many batteries sold in rural areas have been removed from their original packaging and are sold individually. AAs are available in almost every corner "nipa hut" store, even in the most rural places, unfortunately, they're mostly carbon-zinc.

Cost wise, AA carbon-zinc cells are the cheapest, so that's what most natives buy. In some of the less affluent areas, a single carbon-zinc AA battery can cost as much as 20% of ones WEEKLY income or more. I've provided in-laws with NiMh, NiCd and alkaline cells, but they don't last long due to the heat and humidity and several chargers have been fried by plugging them into the 220 volt mains without the appropriate step-down transformer. Shipping batteries is prohibitively expensive.

Witsend, you are correct; bright light is not my focus (no pun intended ; ) ). My primary concerns are durability, battery availability and operating cost.

So far, the contenders are:
Free-Light, Infinity, Arc-AAA, and Attitude. I have the first three, but will buy an Attitude before my next trip, take them all and do an evaluation.

If only I could find a Free-Light in a waterproof case....

arab

Enlightened
Dmo said <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> If only I could find a Free-Light in a waterproof case.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it already has a waterproof case! If you look at Remuen's original post on the Freelight, he said <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Free Light is waterproof (IP68) and not only water resistant<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A quick check on the internet defines IP68 as <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> IP68 is a waterproof standard providing protection against water ingress following immersion to a depth of 1 metre. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course, if you look over at myfreelight thread you will see - amongst all the fun - some proof of how waterproof a freelight realy is:
Freesurf.jpg

So if it's powersource is free and it's case is waterproof then is it not the ideal solution?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking Mini Mag AA outfitted with the Opalec Newbeam LED replacement and Kroll tailcap.

While not bulletproof, the Mag AA is pretty well built. The Opalec Newbeam will not only eliminate the need for replacement bulbs, but suck good light out of bad batteries. The tailcap in addition to being handy would reduce stress on the on-off switch.

Est. total cost $45.

A possible additional improvement might be to pot the LED assembly in place ala McGizmo's Arc AAA "candle":
http://dmcleish.com/arcAAA-candle/index.html

I'd also say that the Princeton Tec Attitude, Arc AAA and Arc LS and Turtlelite II would all be good choices. The CMG Infinity would be good as well, but light output might be a problem.

The PT Attitude and Arc AAA have the issue of using the less available batteries.

The design of the Arc LS, AAA and CMG Infinity would probably make them the most sturdy. Their electronics are totally sealed and there are no springs, switches, etc. The LS may have issues with water getting into it's lens assembly which normally wouldn't be an issue, but might be in this case because of mold. You might be able to pot the lens assembly (ala McGizmo) avoiding this. The only real risk then is corroded batteries, which is going to be hard to avoid. These designs are probably much more likely to survive this type of insult as well. Removing a damaged battery is probably easier with a single cell light as well - you could always drill a screw into it and pull it out.

The Turtle Lite II takes AA batteries, is mostly plastic is sturdy and waterproof. It is a bit less bright than others tho, but has a long runtime.

-john

Maglite: http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.tpl?cart=102177088083070&sku=MAGM2A01H

Tailcap: http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=102177088083070&sku=KROAM2A666

Opalec Newbeam: http://www.opalec.com/

d'mo

Enlightened
Alan,

Thank you very much for pointing this out! I don't know how many times I read the Free-Light posts, but somehow that little tid-bit of information didn't permeate my concrete brain.

Now, if it will handle the heat, it'll be the top contender. I'll try it out by placing it in my car with the windows closed on a hot day... Not that we have many of those in up-state New York.

I'll let you know how it holds up.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the Princeton Tec LED lights are available in WHITE color, which should help with the concern about melting in the sun.

z3r0

Newly Enlightened
I have one word for everyone here, NIGHTSTAR

goto www.nightstar1.com and all your problems will be solved. i bought one of these flashlights, and it is awsome. never needs batteries or bulbs (uses an led), is made of polycarbonate which won't break or warp in heat, doesn't use a battery for storage, but a capacitor. and is powered by shaking it.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm adding some some of the posts on this topic from the SF board (posted while CPF was down).

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo writes:
==============================
John

Since batteries are expensive and the Philippine environment very hot and humid, my initial choice for a flashlight to leave with my in-laws was the Free-Light. It's fairly bright, has a long run time when fully charged, is small, waterproof to 1 meter, needs no batteries and didn't warp, even when left on the dash of the car on a 90+ degree day(much hotter inside the car). With Arab's "paper clip" constant on mod, it seems to be the most practical.

I've also considered several of the "shake-light" flashlights. Unfortunately, I do not have one of this type for evaluation, but many of the reviews I've read indicate they need a lot of shaking for sufficient light.

The CMG Infinity and Arc-AAA (waterproof, single cell and long life) are also possibilities, but since my in-laws are unlikely to be able to afford batteries, I'd like to try to stick with self-powered.

Other flashlights suggested by fellow CPFers were excellent, but I'm trying to limit the possibilities to waterproof, very durable and little or no expense to feed. Anything needing more than one battery just wouldn't be practical as I would end up having to ship batteries to them.

A few years ago, I shipped about a dozen AA Mag lights. All were thrown away within a month as the heat corroded the carbon-zinc batteries, causing them to become stuck inside. Sea salt ended up eating what was left in short order. No this is not a joke or exaggeration.

Any new thoughts?