Arc AA (RGB BB500)

Jets22

Enlightened
Well, With the Holidays around the corner, and been feeling kind of depressed with all that has been going on down here. I decided to mod something different. This looks like a stock Arc AA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif..It now has a modded head and battery tube. The head now has a Red green Blue LED and is powered by a BB500 and a lithium AA battery. It functions just like the rare factory version.. Does everything but sing "Jingle Bells".. You can't help but smile when this thing runs through the spectrum of colors.. Anyways, made me smile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thought you guys might like a look. VERY cool in a dark room

web page web page web page web page web page web page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
What the heck? You're putting 500 mA through the rgb led?

Jets22

Enlightened
yes I am....I built 1 other that has been running for a Loooooong time just like this one. Been working fine ever since the first set of batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Jets22

Enlightened
andrew..lithium 1.5V ,Cycles through all the colors..Seems fine on the heat. The one I built for another forum member has been running for a long time with no problems at all.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
There ain't no way you can be stuffing half an amp through a 5mm RGB LED! Hope one of the EEs can step in and figure out what is goin' on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hey Brock, wasn't a shot at you or the mod! I am really curious as to how the thing can work, since it does! Even an 8mm package will be hurtin' to dissipate that kind of current. (Conclusion: That kind of current isn't being dissipated, and run time should be bitchin.) Again, hopefully one of our not-electrically-challenged types can explain what's goin' on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Jets22

Enlightened
Heck no buddy,,didn't think you were. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...Typically these are direct drive off of 2AA's...this one is single AA and regulated with the BB.. Works like Santa at Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don't no body send Jet22 a junior chemistry set for X-Mas!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

PeterB

Enlightened
Nice mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !!
I think the solution to the EE/heat riddle is, that the BB500 is in "moon" mode at 1.5V and pumps much less current through the LED.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Peter.. the BB won't be putting out 500mA at say 3.5V (1.75W) from 1.5V source.. that would be like 1.5A from the battery.. guessing.. not too likely. In any event.. any mod that is fun and cool fulfilled all the requirements.. kudos. fun and cool.

-awr