vortex - kc1 vs Nuwai III

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a nuwai III 2 days ago and now I find the kc-1 is ready for pre-order. http://www.vortexvision.us/

Does anyone know how these two lights compare ? Maybe the only way for me to compare them would be to buy the kc-1 too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

sylvestor.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I have and like the kc-1,but I'd say it's no comparison.The Nuwai III is a 3watt high dome and the kc-1 is a 1 watt low dome.I've been meaning to update my review of the kc-1 because although I like it,it's not very durable.Seeing as the Nuwai is $49.99 for a 3w and the kc-l is about $59.99 for a 1w low dome,it's a "no brainer".

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KC-1's not even out, so it's going to be hard to compare... but just looking at the specs, it's going to be hard to compare them.

The KC-1, IIRC, uses a collimating lens at the front to focus the LuxI's light into a relatively tight spot, while the Quantum III uses a textured orange-peel style reflector around a Lux III for a medium-sized hotspot with a lot of spill. The Quantum III isn't a far-throwing light, but it'll do about 50 feet without real problems and have fairly usable spill.

Basically, at this point, the Quantum III is bigger... and brighter, and cheaper. The regulation's not really there, but it'll get a decent runtime (an hour and a half at full brightness, if you got a light from a batch that used a K-binned Lux III, with decent tint.

mapson

Enlightened
Yes, that KC1 is so small, isn't it like 2.5" by 1" or something? It is a bit pricey at almost $60.

suppin

Newly Enlightened
I have the Q-III and have compared it to the KC-1 in person (a store here is already retailing it), and personally, I'll go with the Q-III. The Q-III gives a lot more sidespill than the KC-1, which gives a squarish spot beam due to the optics used. The Q-III is also brighter and has a more useful beam in comparison to the KC-1 IMHO.

The KC-1 also uses a CR2 battery instead of a 123 cell, which probably allows it to be smaller than most CR123 lights.

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight, Sheares is selling it, sticker price is either 90 or 98SGD. The sticker is a bit worn and it's been there for a week at the very least.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:
Flashlight, Sheares is selling it, sticker price is either 90 or 98SGD. The sticker is a bit worn and it's been there for a week at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's $98 SGD, then that's around or just below the pre-order price of $59. How much does a Micra 5W head cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Heh Haesslich, unfortunately that place does not carry Longbow products /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's $98 SGD, then that's around or just below the pre-order price of $59. How much does a Micra 5W head cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

suppin, thanks.

Haesslich, try sending a PM to s2k for Longbow stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mapson said:
Yes, that KC1 is so small, isn't it like 2.5" by 1" or something? It is a bit pricey at almost $60.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kc-1 is EXACTLY the same size height wise as an arc ls with twisty.Plus, in the long run th ekc-1 will be more expensive to use because of the cr2 batteries.123a's are only $1 a pop at BatterStation.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

suppin, thanks.

Haesslich, try sending a PM to s2k for Longbow stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh - don't own a Longbow, but I figured their prices could be decent if they managed to meet the Vortex price overseas...

Besides, my current love is the Aleph series. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
coachbigdog said:
[ QUOTE ]
mapson said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The kc-1 is EXACTLY the same size height wise as an arc ls with twisty.Plus, in the long run th ekc-1 will be more expensive to use because of the cr2 batteries.123a's are only $1 a pop at BatterStation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have rechargeable Li-on CR2s (unprotected cells) but not sure if they'll work on the kc-1 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
Just checking if any forum members have purchased a KC1 recently and if they can post some feed back on this flashlight.

thanks,

sylvestor

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
sylvestor - I don't think anyone's seen one outside Singapore. Heck, at this rate, you're better off picking up one of Waion's LuxIII AA-lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

suppin

Newly Enlightened
sylvestor, if you're really interested in getting one, I can help get it, then forward it to you at no extra charge (other than shipping that is, I'll send the reciepts as well). I *should* be able to get it below the store's sticker price as they offer discounts to people they know, drop me a pm if you're interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif