Pressure tolerence of a C3

Size15's

Flashaholic
Take before what?

Take before the push button pressure switch no longer has momentary on/off capability?

Take before it leaks?

Take before it stops functioning?

Take before it becomes damaged?

What do you want to do with the average C3?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not you just remove the lamp assembly and batteries if you go diving the next time. That is if you do go, otherwise I don't see why you need ask such questions.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
i used it on a self made pressure chamber and it can definately withstand 35PSI (more that 20 meters) and my pressure gauge reached 40 PSI sometimes... no leaks although i feel like 40PSI is the pure limit!
The E2D cannot withstand 35PSI... Quite a few droplets went in... Both of my SureFires have the O-Rings well greased with telfon before testin...
Actually i thought the E2D is more Resistant cuz if its 1/2 filled with water, the AIR pressure inside will be greater than the C3 if its 1/2 leaked in...
What my therory is is that more air volume in torches, the easier water can go in as the air pressure takes longer time to increase to that of an area of lesser air volume's half... Correct me if i m wrong but its juz a stupid therory of mine...

AtomSphere

Enlightened
tested water pressure on the c3 today till my pressure chamber broke and leaked badly when it reached 40psi... bought another one and it can only hit 35PSI but good enough to indicate pass 20metres of depth... the e2d has water entry again but the c3 has non again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif tis time i tested it out with batteries and lamps inside and knowtise something unexpected but possible... at 15PSI, my C3 lights up followed by 30psi for the e2d! lol forgot bout pressure when i saw the lights... after testing, both lights still lights up outside the water chamber even though there is water in the e2d...

AtomSphere

Enlightened
momentary mode thats y high pressure activates the torches... i want to simulate underwater usage and u wouldn't be wanting to use it in locked out mode right?

AtomSphere

Enlightened
lol i juz thought of a silly idea... use your torch to tell you the pressure to depth! lets say a torch lights up at 19psi which is bout 20meters of depth! cool idea eh?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
AtomSphere
Man your brave! Lithium batteries dont like water and explosive results are possible if they are subjected to water, especially water under pressure! Whilst I can see the attraction to knowing how far you could 'theoretically' go depth wise with your Surefires I am amazed you would want to risk damaging your lights this way? Surefire do have a program to pressure test lights (for a fee) but AFAIK that is for lights which will be used by the military and other demanding specialits users. In your case my suggestion is why not get a dive light? Oh just a thought but I hope you dont expect Surefire to fix any damage caused by your experiments on your lights. The warranty is for malfaunctions....not abuse. IMHO (and no offense intended) I wonder how many warranty repairs are due to this sort of behaviour? If folks start trying to do this to lights and then ask for repairs SureFire will put their prices up to compensate and everyone will end up paying more!
Sorry to sound harsh but it beats me why anyone would contemplate doing this to a good light!
Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
AtomSphere
Man your brave! Lithium batteries dont like water and explosive results are possible if they are subjected to water, especially water under pressure! Whilst I can see the attraction to knowing how far you could 'theoretically' go depth wise with your Surefires I am amazed you would want to risk damaging your lights this way? Surefire do have a program to pressure test lights (for a fee) but AFAIK that is for lights which will be used by the military and other demanding specialits users. In your case my suggestion is why not get a dive light? Oh just a thought but I hope you dont expect Surefire to fix any damage caused by your experiments on your lights. The warranty is for malfaunctions....not abuse. IMHO (and no offense intended) I wonder how many warranty repairs are due to this sort of behaviour? If folks start trying to do this to lights and then ask for repairs SureFire will put their prices up to compensate and everyone will end up paying more!
Sorry to sound harsh but it beats me why anyone would contemplate doing this to a good light!
Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
what u say is true but the batteries are not in high presured water... they got a bit soaked in a higher pressure atmosphere air but not too great... Its nice to know the limits of your torch thats y i do this... no worries the torch wouldn't spoil... i mean i can't think of a way it could spoil with water except short circuit??? but there is very little water seaping inside the e2d so = no worries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
AtomSphere
I understand that the M2 is also pressure tested (However I could be wrong, in which case I apologise) I hear your reasons for why you do this to your lights but the analogy I would use is similar to taking a car engine over the red line to see how long it lasts!
Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
There aren't many "-N" models you can buy and the 6PN is one of the only flashlight models that is even close to being "standard". Sometimes SureFire may make more of a specific model then they need for a special order and have interested Dealers snap them up.
I guess this is more common with WeaponLights.

There are a number of switch options from SureFire's Classic WeaponLights that you can order to increase the depth at which the momentary function does not come on... If you are interested I could outline them.

Al

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
There aren't many "-N" models you can buy and the 6PN is one of the only flashlight models that is even close to being "standard". Sometimes SureFire may make more of a specific model then they need for a special order and have interested Dealers snap them up.
I guess this is more common with WeaponLights.

There are a number of switch options from SureFire's Classic WeaponLights that you can order to increase the depth at which the momentary function does not come on... If you are interested I could outline them.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i could get the c3's clicky tailcap? looks like it can withstand alot before momentary activation.... the tailcap i m currently using is the C3's default tailcap, anyway i think i can get extra O-rings to fit in the C3 cuz looks like both ends still has extra groves for O-rings

Size15's

Flashaholic
Here are most of the Clickies SureFire make:
Al-swts.jpg

I don't see how they will help though.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
the z49 is the one i m getting... it looks promising... Anyway i found my e2d clicky getting pretty easy to get stuck in the on mode.... i poured oil inside the tailcap and knowtised oil stains on the other side(the outside of the torch) near the rubber... i used a jack knife to move the washer like thing and found that its loose! i immediately tightened it well and fix the clicky with grease and it all worked out well...

Then i went home from camp and pressure test it at 35PSI and vuala!!! NO LEAKS! i m so damn happy man... i remembered when i 1st bought and tested it, it can take it but my results are not reliable that time so when it leaked a few days ago, i assumed it cannot take it in the 1st place... if only i got a better way to pressure test it, i can bring it up to 45PSI