Windows XP SP2 and Slow internet???

RH

Enlightened
I just installed service pack 2 for Windows XP on my laptop and now the internet is as slow as dial up! I disabled the Windows firewall but it is still very slow. When I type in a web address, it takes a log time for the "view" to change while on the bottom it says "opening wwww.yahoo.com" for example. Then, once it does come up, it comes up all at once. However, it is so slow, I might as well not even have a cable modem.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a setting besides the firewall I can disable? It's gresat my system is now more resitant to hackers...it's so slow, they'd probably give up!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has been slow the past three days and I don't remember installing a thing. In addition to overall slowness, I can't seem to bring up Hotmail, MSN or some other Microsoft sites. Logging on to Ebay took forever today.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had that problem after installing something with dsl a while back; it seemed the upload was inhibtited at 25% making surfing almost impossible.
I ended up reinstalling the system, which fixed it.
I'd try restauring the system backwards to see if it's sp2's fault.
Sorry I'm not of much help; I know just how much this is frustrating!

RH

Enlightened
I have now uninstalled SP2 and the speed is back to normal. I also installed SP2 on a desktop machine and that is performing fine. I don't get it but I guess Ill just leave it.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I didn't even do anything, I ran Spy-Bot and Norton. Neither one found anything ouside of normal. I shut the computer down for an hour and now it's running fine.

Lets hope it stays that way...

Stefan

Enlightened
I had a friend that sorta did the same thing. Apparently SP2 is one of those things that if SP1 is not running properly then SP2 will fix it. But if SP1 is running fine SP2 will slow your system down to a crawl.

In situations like this I like to believe, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".