Acceptable/Unacceptable Opalec Beam Color

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got mine recently and I have a question. I'm wondering if it's OK that the *hot spot* is blue-ish. (The area around the hot spot is closer to white)
I thought it would be reversed.

When I point it at the ceiling in a dark room, everything gets a blue-wash.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is perfectly normal, an unfortunate chracteristic of just about all of today`s bright white LEDs. They are noticeably blue tinted when compared to a regular incandescent bulb (getting bluest at the centre).

Or maybe it should be the other way round- the incandescent light is noticeably yellowish. The colour of the light emitted by white LEDs is much closer to natural daylight than an incandescent bulb.

Too bad they havn`t sorted the colour tint variation out in the small ones yet or they`d be just about the perfect low power light source.

grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wim Hertog:
I was wondering why they use D rank LEDs in the opalec?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your Opalec has D rank in it, it would have a pale yellow color to it with very little blue. Mine isn't like that at all.
More likely, they're using one of the C ranks.

Blikbok

Enlightened
LED: I've been searching for info on LED ranks. Where can I find this?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Craig, actually meant C rank !
PS: don't have an Opalec (yet
grin.gif
grin.gif
)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by achoo:
I got mine recently and I have a question. I'm wondering if it's OK that the *hot spot* is blue-ish. (The area around the hot spot is closer to white)
I thought it would be reversed.

When I point it at the ceiling in a dark room, everything gets a blue-wash.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, thats horrible! No...it`s not ok at all! Luckily have have an empty drawer here in my home to contain such misguided led`s/flashlights...better send it over right away
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Completely normal for the center to be a bit in the blue range. Don't forget that white LEDs are, in fact, blue LEDs with white-making goop on them.

Latest posts