KL3 and G2

davidra

Enlightened
Tried my best to find out somewhere, and thought I remembered seeing a few photos, but....
will a KL3 head go on a G2? It seems clear the KL1 will not. What other options are there to mod up a G2 with LED'S?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure it would be a wise idea even if you can make it fit. A plastic body won't provide much heatsink. I suppose the 1-watt KL3 doesn't get too hot, but still there is little ability to cool it off without body to heatsink.

Now, if it is so underdriven that a heatsink is not necessary, then I'd be interested too. I have a G2 on order.....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
KL3 will definately fit G2. However, my KL3 is in a box in my truck, trying to get sent to Tony (Chop) to make it a 3W with reflector.

As it exists, the KL3 I had was tinted PINK. And I have seen the advantage of refectors now too!

So anyhow, yes it fits, but I hope you get to test for beam tint before you buy!

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
The KL3 & KL5 fit and work on the G2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the KL5 lose lumens quickly on a plastic body? The 5-watt LEDs get very hot quickly, and are easily damaged by heat.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

In theory, yes. In practice I don't think it would matter.

I don't run my KL5 on a G2. Mine is a L5.

I only mentioned it because it's a option. I prefer an aluminum body for use with an aluminum head, but that's just personal preference.

My KL3 is on a C3. This looks better to me because of the size of the KL3 and it gives me another light with long runtime.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KL3 fine on the G2/G2Z...
SureFire%20G2-BK-KL3-HA%2064.jpg

There is no data that I'm aware of that point to the G2+KL5 being a "killer" combination. Metal body would be better for heat-sinking though.

Al

redcar

Enlightened
I run a KL3 on a G2 and have left it on for up to an hour. The KL3 sometimes gets just barely warm, like you have been holding it in your hand, and sometimes it does not get warm at all. I run it on SF123A's and also a B65 battery and AN14 extender and Z48 clickie. Thanks to Al for sending me photos and setting me straight on what to order. Previous posts are correct, it is a huge piece of kit with many 'cooling fins' so heat would never be a problem with the KL3.

Sorry, don't have a KL5.

davidra

Enlightened
Thanks. Man, that is a big head (got to be careful how I phrase that). Too bad the KL1 doesn't fit; it is smaller, isn't it? Redcar and 15S, what kind of runtime do you get, and how is the output?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Chop modified KL3 on a G2. It is bumped up to 1.2 ah
and has a Lux III with a Pelican Reflector. I have not had any type of over heating problems. I ran it for a half hour the other day and it just gets warm. Unlike the KL4 or McLux PR heads which get hot in that amount of time.

Even though it is bumped up to 1.2 ah it still works very well with a Pila 168S. Nice flat output and really not that much dimmer than 2 or 3 Cr123as.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I've used the KL3 on a G2 and it is fine. The head is so big and well cooled that it never even gets slightly warm.

My KL3 is 19 lumens of dark purple light that spreads so fast that it is almost useless beyond 15 feet unless it is pitch black outside. I've personally encountered very few situations where the KL3 served me well. That being said, there may be a lot of applications where a highly diffused purple or pink light comes in really handy, I just haven't experienced many of these situations.

I recently sent mine to Chop to modify with a Lux III and reflector driven at 1.2A. Should be sweet but it ought to be considering the price of a modded KL3.

Good luck.

redcar

Enlightened
davidra,

It is rated for 19 lumens, I have no way to verify this except to compare it to other flashlights I have and their advertised ratings. 19 would seem to be about right. I have bought two and both are fairly white spill with a bluish center. Runs about 4 hours on two batteries before starting to dim. My wife uses hers on 3 batteries and has not ran hers a lot yet.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:

Mine is a L5.

I only mentioned it because it's a option. I prefer an aluminum body for use with an aluminum head, but that's just personal preference.

My KL3 is on a C3. This looks better to me because of the size of the KL3 and it gives me another light with long runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure Hoghead, Sure!!!

It is going to cost me enough to get my KL3 Chop'ed that an aluminum body may as well be unobtanium!

I'd love to run my KL3 on a C3 or some such. But the G2 is just gonna have to do!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Surefire will "Fix" the KL3 ala the KL1 soon. A three watt luxeon, reflector (or new KL1 collimator) and triple the mah would do the KL3 some good.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Playboy Joe Shmoe,

I think you're going to love your modified KL3 whether it's on a G2, C3, or any other body it'll work on.