LED Christmas lights---Where?

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have a sugegstion on where to purchase strings of LED christmas lights?

I have poked around the internet and there doesn't seem to be to many places to purchase from!

Thanks,
Bob

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC Walgreens (or similar) had some last year. If you look on Craig's sight (the LED Museum) he has a review of some too.

-Mike

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
In years past, the conventional wisdom here has been that you should seek out the Forever Brights brand, since many of the other brands were dim, shoddy, or lacking in the full range of colors (especially blue and white). I don't know if that will still be true this year.

Darell mentioned ordering from Brookstone, which is where I ordered my light strings last year. These were Forever Brights, even though they were packaged as a generic or off-brand.

MrMom

Enlightened
My target "star" sets have been running outdoors, non stop, for over 17,000 hours. Ten cents per LED was money well spent. No blue or white though. I will check this years colors soon.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My Target "Star" set has been running almost continuously since late December 2003, and I have no problems to report.
I took them down Saturday or yesterday to pack them up, but intend to put them up in my new location within the next week or so.

Deanster

Enlightened
Just bought two 100-lamp forever brights multi-color at Costco in N. Seattle for $15 each this weekend. Didn't look like they had a lot in stock... probably going fast.

TheBeam

Enlightened
Mr. Potato, I remember that you had a problem with some LED Christmas lights a year or two ago. Do you remember which brand they were? Do you know if they ever fixed that problem?

DaveT

Enlightened
Correction on my earlier post - the ones I saw at Costco were "flame tip," not raspberry.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had problems with a Target branded string 2 years ago. It was of sub par quality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was in the worlds most crowded Target accidently here on opening day a week ago and while I couldn't actually walk up and down the isles I did slowly make my way through to that same isle again and didn't see that they were carrying them at all. At least not yet, or i couldn't find them.

The forever lights are the high quality ones. And it's possible that Target has worked the kinks out of their own branded lights by now.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Yep! Costco here in Ft. Worth has the Forever Brights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Both a multi-color set, and an all-red set too! C7 size I believe (the larger size you would use on the outside of the house).

They do exhibit some high frequency flicker caused by the 60 Hz in your home AC wall outlets. IIRC, someone posted a simple fix for this last year.

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
BROOKESTONE , bought some last year, no problems. I think I bought 10 strands of 70 lights of the color type. I did notice they had white , but not very many on a strand

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Costco has them as well. I also found them at Lowe's Hardware and Lowe's has them for around $13.00 plus they have different shapes avaliable.

P.S. My Costco and Lowes are next to each other

flashlite

Enlightened
I saw the Forever Brights at Costco over the weekend. They were the multicolored stings of 100 C7 size for $16.19. I had two boxes in my cart but I put them back. I thought the plastic "globe" would detract from the color brilliance of the LED's. Can anyone confirm that? Doesn't someone make them without a globe over the LED?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! I just bought four boxes of red LED xmas lights at Costco. They look great! Very bright and distinctive looking. And yes they do flicker. You notice it only when you shake 'em around though.

They were about $15 per box. 100 lights on a 67' cord and you can link up to 3 cords together. Use 80% less electricity, 20-year life so you don't need to worry about changing bulbs or dropping them.