Advice for Newbie re: Best Combo

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a new guy, and have really enjoyed all the great info. on CPF. I have a small ranch in central Texas, and we spend a lot of time outside at night, poking around, viewing all the nocturnal critters (a Great Horned Owl last Saturday night!), etc.

I need a small LED flashlight for illuminating the foot path, etc., and a strong, probably incandescent, flashlight to spotlight the critters at a pretty good distance. I want to keep size small on both (to fit unobtrusively in pockets). The Surefire A2 combo looks like a good choice, but the price is high, even on ebay. A Streamlight Twin Task was more reasonable, but the incandescent looks too weak.

I'm willing to go with 2 different models, one for each function, and am leaning towards either a Surefire E2E or a Pelican M6 lithium for the spot, and maybe an "Xnova" 5 LED pocket light for the close-in light. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from the knowledgeable members of CPF, including best places to buy.

Thanks very much.

Slonie

Newly Enlightened
My re-initiation into flashlight addiction came in the form of a County Comm X5T-HA and a Surefire 6P Original (with P61 bulb). They are both good for different purposes...But that P61 (high output) bulb is really overkill for the runtime...The good news is the X5 will take batteries that drive a surefire dimly and still give full (or at least acceptable) output. It does feel a bit silly (though not so much to most members of this board) to have two flashlights on me at once, though.

The 6P is pretty much overkill for anything close-up, which is where the wide pattern of the X5 is handy. They go well together.

The A2 is pretty trick though, I have to admit. If you only want to carry one light, that might be the ticket. It just occured to me that the Pilas (the lights, not the batteries) have LEDs on the tailcap for dual-purpose usage as well. Never seen one in person though.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, i will dive in!

that sounds like a great combo. the E2 looks like a wonderful light...but still a bit pricey. i really yearn for one!

standardizing on 123's sounds great (the xnova takes 123's, right?). when the E2 or M6 is through with the bats, the xnova would probably run ok on them at least the inova version does--according to reports.

when walking at night, i usually bring my uk4aaled and a stronger incan like the tec40 or incan uk4aa. i really like the idea of a 2-123 light for super-bright duties.

Bob

Slonie

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, the X5 takes 2x123 so you can drop "dead" ones in from the incandescent lamp (which will happen quite quickly if you use the P61, har har har).

I wanted an E2D myself, but the lower price and availability of a 120-lumen lamp put me to the 6P. Now, in retrospect, the HO lamp's runtime makes it a bit inconvenient for real-world use (at least on a battery budget), but the price issue still remains...

That's the worst part, I bought a 6P for "cheap" and now eventually I'll probably still get the E2D...Damn you Surefire!

The G2 is good too for even cheaper if you don't mind a non-metal case. There are some LED lights now that (depending on who you ask), have these lights beat while having all the advantages of LEDs (like the Inova T3).

I'm sure people will have some other suggestions too, I'm a noob to all this customized and upgarded this and that when it comes to lights.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
The E2e and X5T combo is a good one. The standard lamp on the E2 is plenty bright enough for spotting critters at a (reasonable) distance and the X5 is a great weak flood for closeup work. It's perfect for illuminating a path.

The fact they both use 123s is a definite plus. And as everyone on CPF is fond of saying, the X5 will run for what seems like an eternity on a "dead" battery.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
some of my favorite combinations (dim + bright):
#1) Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED + Princeton Tec Tec40 with xenon replacement bulb
#2) Petzl Tac Tikka Plus + Elektrolumens FT3C
#3) Petzl Myo 5 + extra batteries/bulb

why i like those combinations:
#1) 'cause i don't like to focus on lithium batteries. i can't afford to buy them in bulk whenever my supply dwindles, and they're too expensive in stores around here. i like to use lights that could use lithium AA's or AAA's if i need them in the cold, but i try to avoid aquiring too many lights that run on CR123's.
#2) i like very long runtimes. this is in fact, my biggest concern when i set out to do anything. i feel much more confident knowing the lights with me can put out light for a very very long time, in case the sheet hits the fan.
#3) i'm not too bothered by size, as i usually have a backpack with me. even for a walk in the woods out back. so i don't mind carrying something as large as the Elektrolumens FT3C that runs on three C batteries (but for the record, it's the shortest 3-C flashlight i've ever seen). there are sheaths available that make carrying larger lights much more comfortable.
#4) in addition to these lights, i always have either my Inova X5T-HA or my Arc LS hanging on a lanyard around my neck. that makes any combination i use all the more effective. i think you should look into an EDC (every day carry) flashlight too. it'll happen sooner or later anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dsl

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this forum but have been a flashlight nut for years. But I gotta say sure fire personal lights just dont have the throw I think you are looking for. I would say a stream light TL2 xenon is the way to go, you can get one for about $40.00. It has a bigger head than an E2e but is about the same length. Use a streanlight Green trident headlamp to light the path. The green L.E.D. is better for retaining night vision and will not scare the "Critters"

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to ease yourself into this addiction (take it slow, it's much more fun that way!!!!) check out the Streamlight Scorpion as your long distance spotter - for the money it's really hard to beat (plus you get an extra bulb carried in the lamp assembly!)

And I'll add my support for the X5T, I've got one that puts out plenty of light (enough to read in a dark room) on batteries that won't even cause a xenon bulb (scorpion, for example) to glow. Also take a close look at the Peak LED Solutions 1x123 LED lights, the three or seven LED models should give excellent runtime and more than enough light to navigate a trail.

If you want to go all-out definitely check out the turnkey Aleph lights available from McGizmo - I have a similar light (Luxeon 3 at 1amp in a 27mm reflector) and to my eyes it throws a better spot farther than my E2e and Scorpion.

For big throw on a very tight budget track down the Mag 2C mods listed in the Modifications forums. It is a very simple modification to a Mag 2C that you can do yourself and the result will outthrow just about any 6v 2x123 setup at a fraction of the cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Finally, don't rule out headlamps. I never was interested because I thought they were, well, dorky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But I have recently purchased a Petzel Tikka Plus (GREAT light!) and can already think of about 20 situations in the last 12 months where it would've been of greater utilitarian value than all of my handheld lights.

Jon

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Slonie said:
The 6P is pretty much overkill for anything close-up,

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the side spill for close ups instead of the hotspot.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
What about a Pila, say GL3 rechargeable? It has LEDs on the rear end for walking illumination and also a xenon 130 lumen 50 minutes continuous front end incan. 3 hours for full charge.

I may be plugging my own favourite brand shamelessly but I honestly wouldn't make a recommendation I didn't believe in.

Tim.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dsl said:
I am new to this forum but have been a flashlight nut for years. But I gotta say sure fire personal lights just dont have the throw I think you are looking for. I would say a stream light TL2 xenon is the way to go, you can get one for about $40.00. It has a bigger head than an E2e but is about the same length. Use a streanlight Green trident headlamp to light the path. The green L.E.D. is better for retaining night vision and will not scare the "Critters"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dsl,

What SF lights are you referring to? Some of them have some amazing throw!

Red is the only color I know of that will help you retain you night vision. Check out some information here.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i have the Wolf-Eyes M90 Rattlesnake (same as the Pile GL4 but different brand name) and it works great in complete darkness outside(but with the moonlight of course) for a 2in1 light. the LED on the tailcap is good so it wont blind you up close. then you have the front light for distance. the best thing is that it uses rechargeable batteries or cr123a.

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, AFAustin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If throw and cost of the light are concerns, then I think the Pelican M6 Lithium will be the way to go. Having owned both the PM6 and the E2e, I think that the PM6 will out-throw the E2e. The PM6 is one of the longest throwing light for its size. The beam and built quality of the PM6 is not as good as the Surefire though, so you'll have to decide which is of higher importance.

The Inova X5T would be a good combo to go with an incandescent as it'll run just fine on depleted batteries from your incandescents. If you're just looking for a gentle to moderate flood light at close range, the X5 will be a pretty good choice. It's very sturdily built too, so you don't have to worry about dropping it.

Edit: BatteryStation has a special pricing for the PM6 Lithiums at their CPF member's page, you can also get CR123s from them at $1 each. You can get the X5T-HA from Countycomm

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK 4AA Xenon is as bright and throws as far as an E2e.
UK 4AA eLED is the same body with a LED module. Will run regulated for 10 hours with really good path lighting ability. You can get both from Brightguy.com

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, AFAustin and dsl and PilaPower and PhantomZ, why don't y'all stay awhile!

If it's very dark (little light pollution) how about a CMG (Gerber) Infinity Ultra around your neck as the LED, with an entry level incan as the throw, Scorpion, G2, PM6. The two would run you around $50+.

If you want to invest more, you could move up the line, like to an E2e, or rechargeable Streamlight. And don't forget the Pilas, as PP recommends. The LED tailcap is probably bright enough for walking, and the incan on the GL3R, whooey!

If you move up the LED chain, the X5T, as advised by many, is a great light. It has some competition from the Gerber Trio (AAs). And anything with one of Don's two stage Aleph tailcaps is great.

Last stop, in the same price range as a Pila, is the A2. Of course it's lesser brethren the TwinTask line is a cheaper alternative.

welcome again, all
daloosh

alloy

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Pila Power.
I think WOLF-EYES 9TX may be one choice:
raider0401.jpg

# 15cm at lengh,can put in pocket easily

# 130 lumens,also has a tailcap switch with 5 lumens LED light

# price about $60+.But I don't know the price in USA.

9TX also have negative attributes:

# No clamp,no mount of lanyard.
I lost my WOLF-EYES 6T light once at night while got off the car,I found it in brushwood several minutes later by the help of my little LED light in key ring.I always put 6T in trousers pocket,so I eager to get a clamp or lanyard to avoid losing my 6T.
9T has the same negative attribute.

# In case, the lamp conk out,the tailcap LED light doesn't work too.Because there's electric current passing by lamp filament while turn on the LED light.So I advise you to take a little cheap LED light as *sidearm* if choose 9T.

Sorry for my poor English /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ,but I try my best to explain my advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I believe you can find nice lights for youself in CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

evanlocc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:
Welcome to CPF, AFAustin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If throw and cost of the light are concerns, then I think the Pelican M6 Lithium will be the way to go. Having owned both the PM6 and the E2e, I think that the PM6 will out-throw the E2e. The PM6 is one of the longest throwing light for its size. The beam and built quality of the PM6 is not as good as the Surefire though, so you'll have to decide which is of higher importance.

The Inova X5T would be a good combo to go with an incandescent as it'll run just fine on depleted batteries from your incandescents. If you're just looking for a gentle to moderate flood light at close range, the X5 will be a pretty good choice. It's very sturdily built too, so you don't have to worry about dropping it.

Edit: BatteryStation has a special pricing for the PM6 Lithiums at their CPF member's page, you can also get CR123s from them at $1 each. You can get the X5T-HA from Countycomm

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifYES, he is damm right! May be you would like to get a Q3 too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
PM6 and X5 would likely be my choice. I say this because after the PM6 is done with the batteries, the X5 is still very happy with them.

And the PM6 is one of three top throwing 123 lights. I don't remember if the others were 2x123 lights or not. But the PM6 is of a very decent size.

There are some 4AA lights that would do what you want too. That opens the door to rechargable AAs (for cheap light!). TEC40 (with a M*g Xenon 4 cell bulb with Alkalines, or a 3Cell Whitestar Krypton with NimH) is NICE! UK4AA doesn't put out as much light (more spot than flood) but throws pretty good. Pelican Stealthlight 4AA using NimH and a 3C Lamp Module is good too.

And one really must see an ARC AAA or Infinity Ultra AA in total darkness to appreciate them!!!

X33

Enlightened
I can recommend the Pila GL3R. The white LED cap puts out enough to navigate along tracks, similar to the X5 and with a press of the button you're on high output on the front end. Its rechargeable too. One of my favourites.