20 LED Worklight

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Interesting light.... a bit tooooooo steep at 75.00 for
5mm LEDs and no battery pack at all. I figure there is about
5.00 worth of LEDs in it and 10.00 worth of parts they could sell it for about 49.00 or less easily with a rechargable pack and charger and still make a good profit.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is nice. I thought you were refering to the floor lamp that has 20 leds in a row like those third break lights. Its ment to sit on the floor next to your reading chair and used as a reading light. Either are more than I am willing to spend.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would consider ordering 100 leds from ebay and buying some resistors and a 10.00 4D *floating* flashlight with a big head on it and modding it with 50 LEDs instead. probably cost less than 50.00 with batteries and would flood the world with light.

Ratso

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Free said:
Interesting new LED light at Brookstone:

20 Led Worklight

I would love to see something like this with a bunch of Luxeons in it instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go :
Septalux.4.jpg

Septalux.1.jpg

That's 7 Luxeon III's.

Free

Enlightened
Thanks, I think I am going to order that one, since it is much more economical as well as practical.

I still want to know where I can get that multi Luxeon light. It looks like one of Wayne's creations.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one in Brookstone uses Nichia LEDs and produced by the same manufacturer of SL Septor and TT series. If the one on Sportsmansguide.com uses Nichia LEDs, it's steal at $30 not to mention its great design.

Alan

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That is a nice design for sure. If it does use nichias it is a good deal considering they want a premium for their 5mm LEDs in quantities less than a zillion. I haven't seen the flood of 20 5mm LEDs but I bet it is close to a 4 watt flourescent light but with better focused *beam*. It would probably be a great light to change a tire or work in the deep dark recesses of a car on a pitch black night. I would enjoy hearing your comments about that light if you get it.

Ratso

Enlightened
That is Wayne's SeptaLux light, which is over 500 Lumens of Luxeon power. Unfortunately, it is not for sale. I think he may plan to build the PentaLux in the future, which has 5 Luxeon III's, but I'm not sure. The closest thing is the Tri-Star Phazer, or the Inretech Helios.

Free

Enlightened
I have two of Wayne's Pentalux's and they are great lights (although I prefer his 4D Tristar).

I do remember that other light (Septalux) and looked back in the thread to see he was not going to sell it due to the heat issues. I wish he would though, because it would be a handy worklight configuration, even with fewer Lux's in it.

Free

Enlightened
Just wanted to update you guy's. I finally got the 20led worklight from sportsmansguide above, and it is pretty crappy. It is very cheap plastic, and the output is about the same as a streamlight 4aa 7 led light, perhaps a hair more.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That is curious, perhaps one is driven at considerably less current or the LED quality if poorer. I have seen too many LED lights on the market that look like a good idea but not priced what they should be worth compared to the cost of manufacture.

Free

Enlightened
I think it is Led quality. The 20 Led worklight has a very blue tint to it, so I don't think it is underdriven.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have seen several places *claim* they put nichias in their products in ads and online websites but NOT on the package and didn't have them actually in their product just to sell them. I have a rather blue dorcy and a cheap $1 keychain light that has a better color LED in it. Perhaps they are getting better with LED color and older stuff still in stock with supposedly good LEDs is now not as good as the cheaper ones made now.

As for the blue tint... all white LEDs are made from blue LEDs so it could be underdriven if they are really cheap and poorly made LEDs, the only way to totally sure is to measure the current draw if you can determine the way the LEDs are driven (parallel,series etc).