Poorly Wrapped Miracles

Empath

Flashaholic
I've said on several occasions, "miracles come wrapped in reasonable explanations". Okay, you may have been needing to pay attention when I said it, or it probably slipped right past. Anyway, it seems for everything one person calls a miracle, another may prefer finding the reasonable explanation. Many of us may see the reasonable explanation all too easily, and overlook what may be a miracle. Occasionally, it seems, the reasonable explanation seems more hidden than the miracle.

The pacific northwest this week-end experienced what many will find to be a miracle, unencumbered by the ready explanations often associated. At least it seems to me that at such times the miracle seems reasonable, and the explanation appears to be the stretch. It seems this miracle came poorly wrapped in it's reasonable explanation.

There was a very happy family and congregation as this miracle became apparent.

Laura Hatch Found Alive

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I'm not sure if you're saying you believe this IS a miracle or not? Not going to argue either way.I will say this.I have NOT been a christian all my life,so this isn't coming from a "sheltered" view.I have seen many things that can be "explained away" and many things that can not.But just because something has an explaination doesn't mean God wasn't "in control".God uses "ordinary" people to do extraordinary things.There is an old saying that I believe with ALL my heart.It says,"There are no aethists in fox holes".So when people are in war and the bombs are blowing up all around them,all of a sudden they know how to pray.In other words if that was my daughter or your daughter,we'd be more apt to see it as a miracle than a coincidence.Either way,thank God she's ok!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I wonder if the police would be suspicious of such occurances. Would they not think there might be something to investigate, especially since the girls knew each other? The explanation doesn't wash with me. Forgive me for being suspicious.

oldgrandpajack

Empath

Flashaholic
Coach,
Miracles, it seems, come packaged within reasonable explanations. Some will seek the explanation, and some the miracle. I had two cats, Rom and Merlin. If Merlin was in a paper sack, and you were to flick your finger against the bottom, Merlin would swat at the disturbance within the bag. Rom would run out the bag and see what was going on outside the bag. Merlin accepted the miracle, while Rom sought the reasonable explanation. Neither cat's nature was flawed.

There is a determination by something more than intellect that brings a recognition and dependency on something higher, and a reverence toward a purpose or happenstance that seems favorable to our interests. Some will accept the miracle, while some will seek the packaging of reasonable explanation. Again, I can't judge either nature as flawed.

We all work miracles for someone or something, and we all enjoy the miracles from someone or somewhere. Some are content to enjoy the miracle, and some find pleasure in it's package.

"Come off it, Michael", said Lucifer. "That was no miracle. I know exactly how you did it."

"Lucifer, begone", said Michael. "The one for whom it was intended didn't have a clue, nor are they concerned with how."

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
We all work miracles for someone or something, and we all enjoy the miracles from someone or somewhere. Some are content to enjoy the miracle, and some find pleasure in it's package.
[/i]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wonderful words, Empath. Yes, we can work miracles. May I add that miracles don't need to be "big things" restricted to the religious context? They can also be found in the tiniest places, where they are often overlooked. Miracles don't need to be amazing things either. I see a miracle in my baby's laughter or in his twinkling eyes, for example. (On second thought, who said this was not an amazing event?)

It's all in the sense of wonder that we choose to experience in life. Miracles are wonderful things, but... wonderful things are not necessarily miracles. What is a miracle and how your perceive them depends on how you view the world. Is a miracle a grandiose, unexplained event "sent from the Heavens", or is it a simple thing like a rainbow after a storm?

Do I question some "miracles"? Sure, it is part of my critical being. Do I question the miracle of life and my being here? I'd rather marvel at it; and this has nothing to do with my scientific training and all of what I know about theories of life, it's origins, evolution, and extinction.

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
May I add that miracles don't need to be "big things" restricted to the religious context? They can also be found in the tiniest places, where they are often overlooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wonderful planet and it's incredible diversity of life is more than a minor miracle.

It is a true miracle that is not acknowledged by many religious types who feel that the earth and other creatures are a purely economic resource to be trashed and exploited as they work their way toward their permanent home in "heaven".