"X5 to the rescue" inspires comparison test with Opalec Newbeam and Attitude

brightnorm

Flashaholic
"X5 to the rescue" inspires comparison test with Opalec Newbeam and Attitude

Last night I was trying to find a small electronic part that I suspected had slipped down somewhere behind furniture or some temporary piles of books and luggage my girlfriend had stacked up in my living room. There was a rage sitting on the sill but I decided to use an LED instead. I hauled out the Opalec Newbeam and searched; great light but too dim for what I needed. Then I tried the Attitude; brighter but still too dim. Finally I dug out an X5 and VOILA! There was the part, easily illuminated in that brilliant beam. At this point I decided to do a runtime/brightness comparison.

CONDITIONS:

Instrumentation: "eyes only"
Observers: Two (my girlfriend and I)
Test intervals: Once hourly
Test target: 10'high white ceiling

PERCEIVED BRIGHTNESS:

HOUR(S)------INOVA------OPALEC------ATTITUDE
0----------------1 --------- 3 ------------2
1----------------1 ----------3 ------------2
2----------------1 ----------3 ------------2
3----------------1 ----------3 ------------2
4----------------1 ----------3 ------------2
5----------------1 ----------2 ------------2
6----------------1 ----------2 ------------3
7----------------3 ----------1 ------------2
8----------------3 ----------1 ------------2

NOTE: Each hour number represent results at the END of that hour. Example: Hour 3 = perceived brightness at the end of the third hour.

Test was stopped after eight hours. Although
non-instrumented, our agreement was 100%. Objectivity was maintained by our writing separate observations and comparing them only at the test's completion. We both agreed that as the hours progressed, choosing between the Opalec and the Attitude was complicated by the Opalec's different color temperature. This added to the fact of non-instrumentation makes these results far from definitive.

I hope they may prove helpful despite their limitations.

Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: "X5 to the rescue" inspires comparison test with Opalec Newbeam and Attitude

Good info, but does you GF think your completely nuts now
wink.gif
If so your job is done
smile.gif
My wife knows I have gone off the deep end with my flashlights.

But seriously, I would be really amazed if the Attitude is still brighter then the Opalec after 1 hour. But you got me to thinking, so I guess I will have to set the light up and to a runtime test on the Attitude. I will start Sunday night since I have to use the camera elsewhere to tomorrow.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "X5 to the rescue" inspires comparison test with Opalec Newbeam and Attitude

Brightnorm,

Nice post!

As a fan and owner of all three of those lights, I agree with your initial observations. I have not let the batteries run down in all three of my lights at the same time, so I can't comment of the comparitive run down times.

The X5 SHOULD be brighter than the other two. 5 LED's and 6 volts of lithium power, I would be suprised if it did not come in first.

My personal experience of he Attitude is also similar. While taking the smaller AAA's, it has 4 which is 6 volts, vs the Olapec's 2 AA's or 3 volts. I have found 20-30 hours at full brightness with the Attitude.

I'd love to see Olapec make a 5 or 6 LED light for some 4 AA light or a 2 3 volt lithium light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Good info, but does you GF think your completely nuts now
wink.gif
If so your job is done
smile.gif
My wife knows I have gone off the deep end with my flashlights.

But seriously, I would be really amazed if the Attitude is still brighter then the Opalec after 1 hour. But you got me to thinking, so I guess I will have to set the light up and to a runtime test on the Attitude. I will start Sunday night since I have to use the camera elsewhere to tomorrow.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My girlfriend always knew I was nuts. I'm looking forward to your results because you're capable of more objective tests than I am.

BTW, all the alkalines were fresh RAY-O-VAC Maximums. The X5 had fresh Surefires

Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic

OK, I am back and off to start the test on the Attitude. I will post the results here.

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuddTX:
Brightnorm,

I'd love to see Olapec make a 5 or 6 LED light for some 4 AA light or a 2 3 volt lithium light.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, i would very much like to see some more products from them, given that the newbeam seems to be by far the best regulated light on the market. Just not bright enough for some uses.

- Pete

Brock

Flashaholic

Ok, here is what I have so far on the Attitude. I used 4 brand new duracell's. I always let the lights sit for 1 min before testing, and it started at 37 right away and by 1 min it was at 35

06:15-35 same as Opalec
06:30-32 big drop, as expected with alkaline
06:45-31
07:00-30
07:15-30
07:30-29
07:45-29
08:00-29
08:15-28
08:30-28
08:45-28
09:00-28
09:15-28
09:30-28
09:45-28

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Brock,

Is it possible that my observational results were somehow skewed by the different color temperatures of the Opalec and Attitude? What about the possibility of varying performance from one set of LEDs to the next?

Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic

I don't know for sure. I think the Attitude does have a "tighter" beam then the Opalec, making it appear brighter at a distance? Or maybe the batteries held up better in your Attitude, there is really a LOT of room for differnces in lights.

06:15-35 same as Opalec
06:30-32 big drop, as expected with alkaline
06:45-31
07:00-30
07:15-30
07:30-29
07:45-29
08:00-29
08:15-28
08:30-28
08:45-28
09:00-28
09:15-28
09:30-28 switching to 30 min
10:00-27
10:30-26
11:00-26
11:30-25
12:00-25
12:30-24
01:00-24
01:30-23
02:00-21
02:30-20
03:00-19
03:30-18
03:45-12 final last drop
04:00-5 it sat at 5 for about 5 more hours

Brock

Flashaholic

Here is the X5, I am surprised by the results. It stayed brighter longer then I would have thought, then fell off faster then I would have thought. The more I test these of other light the more I like truly regulated lights. Basically this light has about a 5 hour runtime. It is much brighter then other LED light, but cost way more to run. But then again I really like the size and feel.

1:00-98
1:30-95
2:00-95
2:30-95
3:00-94
3:30-93
4:00-91
4:30-89
5:00-85
5:30-81
6:00-75
6:30-64
7:00-43
7:30-25
8:00-20
8:30-16
9:00-14

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Here is the X5, I am surprised by the results. It stayed brighter longer then I would have thought, then fell off faster then I would have thought. The more I test these of other light the more I like truly regulated lights.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock,

Thanks for those enlightening (no pun) tests. The X5 has been my EDC since Kogatana first posted information about it. I suppose the quasi-regulated appearing results (down only 8% in 4 hours) are due to the lithiums, and I strongly agree with your preference for regulated lights. But in the case of the X5, would regulation really make that much of a difference?

Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic

I would guess if the X5 were regulated it would sit about 80 for 5 hours then drop like a rock. People who regulate LED's tend to drive them at their rating, while the X5 is overdriving the LED for the first 5 hours. So in this case it probably wouldn't be preferred.

Darell

Flashaholic

I'm still impressed with the Newbeam performance. But I'm also thrilled to see the X5 do so well for so long at the beginning. Man, if that thing were regulated, I'd be all over it!

rlhess

Enlightened

I haven't run timed tests like Brock, but I did measure using two sets of cells--one fresh and the other somewhat used:

X5 down 33% light output with the used vs the fresh while the Brinkmann LX was down about 8% with the same set of cells.

The good news, however, is that if we say the light runs 5 hours at full brightness, that's pulling 1.25AH out of the cells so it's using up the rated capacity more or less.

However, this reinforces that I want fresh cells in my X5 just as much (or more) than I want them in my LX and my E2e. The X5 is NOT a place to get rid of used 123s from the xenon incandescents.

By the way, is this the original or the new X5? White or blue? It's very bright.

Cheers,

Richard

Daytona

Newly Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> However, this reinforces that I want fresh cells in my X5 just as much (or more) than I want them in my LX and my E2e. The X5 is NOT a place to get rid of used 123s from the xenon incandescents. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn, so is it not recommended to run non-fresh batteries on LEDs?

And if that's true, then how are we going to deal with all those leftovers from a E2/LX?
smile.gif

Daytona

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:
.....However, this reinforces that I want fresh cells in my X5 just as much (or more) than I want them in my LX and my E2e. The X5 is NOT a place to get rid of used 123s from the xenon incandescents.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard,

I strongly agree. I never load used batteries into any of my "primary" lights, especially my EDC lights.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I would guess if the X5 were regulated it would sit about 80 for 5 hours then drop like a rock. People who regulate LED's tend to drive them at their rating, while the X5 is overdriving the LED for the first 5 hours. So in this case it probably wouldn't be preferred.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, thanks

BN

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

So, unless I'm mistaken, the ARC-LS is still the only light to use those used-up 123's from my E2E, M3 and M6. Correct?

Latest posts