2W UV

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I was never going to post this light, but after giving away my remaining good stuff at Cambria, it was all I had left to offer for the Diesel Dave/disaster raffle.

About a year ago, I lucked into one of the Nichia 2W UV LEDs. I looked around in the junk pile and found some 3/4" 6061 tubing that I had knurled and had black, Type II anodized, and a Pelican reflector. (At least, I think that's what they're called.) I also had a loose BB500.

It was real Q&D- I bored the tube for 123 clearance and tapped both ends 11/16-24. I then turned and threaded the back of the reflector to fit the tube. (The reflector is the head.) I then knurled and threaded the tail plug/"switch."

Next came Arctic Alumina epoxy to mount the LED and hooking up the BadBoy. A machined phenolic tube served to space everything and keep it square. I tested it and it worked! Next came potting the sleeve with AA epoxy. It no longer worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif In retrospect, I probably had too much shoulder in the tube and disloged something. The fix ended up piggy-backing another BB500 onto the dead one. Fortunately the tube was still long enough as I had some really stoopid idea for a super-positive lockout that required extra tube length.

I could say that having no lense is to maximixe UV output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif The delrin lense cap does fit very snugly, and pulls a noticeable vacuum when you pry it off.

Not one of my better efforts, but it was intended as a personal tool for scorpion hunting. Not too long after building it, the group buy happened for the 6W's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

site1074.JPG

site1075.JPG

site1076.JPG

Larry

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
That's an interesting build. I would not have thought to use the pelican reflector as the head.

Why did you piggyback the second badboy instead of drilling out the first one?

It looks cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Daniel

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

Why did you piggyback the second badboy instead of drilling out the first one?

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

As I remember, the Nichia 2W can be a little challenging to solder leads to. I needed space to coil the leads between the BB and LED in order to be able to solder them to the BB and then press it into the tube. I was afraid I would damage the LED if cut it apart and it was in "moon" mode with the dead BB. I breadboarded another BB and it worked, so what the heck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry