Klarus        

Thread: Why lights?

Default Why lights?

Ok let's face it, you're a flashaholic! You've been collecting lights for a while now, you've modded or assembled your own lights, whenever you see a new light anywhere you wonder what kind of beam pattern it has....so why lights? Why not cameras or butane lighters or cars?

Default Re: Why lights?

How about lights and cameras and butane lighters and cars, eh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

cars have lights.... cameras have lights (flash) and butane lighters have candlepower!... so all is lights! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] Cars DO have lights. Errr I put that there on purpose to see who's a REAL flashaholic. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif[/img] ....[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif[/img]

Why not?

You said the same thing in another post I'll try to look it up lol.

Flashaholic*

Okay this goes back! Once upon a time I was a lowly fishing rod builder with a patent on illuminated fishing rods and a man asked me to build him a fishing rod for ice fishing (barring military grade laser expense) so I started a search for the best measure I could make of an L.E.D. modification and I landed here!
    Night fishing fashlights well it all seem to fit.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Wylie

I have a small thing for bicycles too(specifically MTB). I guess in our case, the object of our obsession is flashlights and in other peoples' cases, it can be any other thing imaginable. eg fetishes, dogs, cats, drinks food, music... any dam thing...

(Am I on topic here?)

Why I Switched to Lights from Something Else...

10. Lights require less maintenance. Less debugging, too.

9. Lights did not come to us under the pretence of saving us work, then turn around and create more work for us when we are not looking.

8. Lights do not try to be 'user friendly' and be 'smart' to the point where they think they know what you want better than YOU yourself do.

7. Lights do not then try to do it for you without your permission believing that they are right and you wanted it anyway when neither is true.

6. Lights do not become obsolete the instant you buy them and then have their value depreciate to $0 in 2-3 years time. They have better resale value too.

5. A complete light costs 10 times less, too.

4. Older model lights still remain useful.

3. They're inexpensive enough to afford multiple models and therefore maintain a degree of redundancy.

2. The user interface does not require operator re-training with every new generation. In fact, we have trained multiple generations on the same interface.

1. Lights don't throw blue/black screens of death or Fatal Trap 12 messages at you for no good reason.

.. you can probably guess what Something Else is by now.

You can't fit a car in your pocket... duh!... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Because deep down we all just don't like being left in the dark. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Sasha said:
    You can't fit a car in your pocket... duh!... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not one you can ride in anyhow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Why lights? Well, if I lived in "The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave", it would be guns, knives and flashlights, in that order. Regrettably, I do not...

Cheaper than guns.

(OK, OK, you can never have enough guns, but I have more/better guns than flashlights now, so lights need to catch up.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I just worry about getting bit by the knife bug now...

Also if you don't smoke you get jealous of those guys playing with their fancy lighters and when their fidgeting with it gets irritating you can take out your flashlight and blind them and chuckle silently saying... oooopf I'm sorry about that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]
    The thing about cars is: if the lights go dim on them replacing batteries is a task compared to replacing a flashlight battery and you don't have to pay for a flashlight tag or insurance for liability on its use.... err yet, but maybe some of these modders should look into it in case they blind someone and they trip and fall . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    Also you don't have to fill up the tank of flashlights with $2.00/gal unleaded to get them going.

someone should mod a toy car as a flashlight to fit in Sasha's pocket.

It comes from the primal desire to manipulate one's immediate environment. The same thing that causes some of us to carry a gun and a knife along with a few flashlights.

best regards

Gadget factor
    "Hey it's a tool"
    Object of art
    Relatively cheap

I'd probably have as many radios and cameras if they were cheaper.

Flashaholic

I like things that make light. Most flashlights are relatively inexpensive. They are useful. And even though people look at you strangely when you tell them you collect flashlights, they don't look scared like they would if you told them you collect guns or knives or swords or snakes or pitbulls! I like books too 'cause I are a intelecshul![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]
    Kirk

Well My resons are as follows.
    I can take a flashlight out into a field or into the woods and "light it" with out people calling the police about that loud "boom" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    powerfull flash lights are easer to find then powerfull fireworks.
    If you did your homework, your new home brew flashlight won't go up in smoke. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Otherwise I do collect cameras and lighters (I don't smoke but instant protable fire is as important as light!)
    I don't generaly collect cars but their lights can be modded!

[ QUOTE ]
    KevinL said:
    Why I Switched to Lights from Something Else...

8. Lights do not try to be 'user friendly' and be 'smart' to the point where they think they know what you want better than YOU yourself do.

2. The user interface does not require operator re-training with every new generation. In fact, we have trained multiple generations on the same interface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you ever own an Arc4? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Dave

PS - another reason for me, is that it brings out the kid in me. My kids love flashlights as much as I always did (and do). Now that I'm grown old (notice I didn't say grown up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) its fun to have these toys that are practical, useful, not too big or expensive, and beautiful to behold. Mostly it's "because I'm a geek, I know it, and am comfortable with it."

All of my hobbies are considered equally odd.

They're cheaper to feed than guns (my weekly ammo budget was $80 in handloads for a slow week). My gun hobby also invited theories about owning a gun to compensate for 'inadequacies'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif[/img]

My handcuff collection is just as varied and interesting but invites theories about my nocturnal activities.

My wife still does not understand, but at least she does not worry about the kids being hurt by a flashlight and I don't have to sacrifice my personal privacy to own them.

Women don't understand us guys collecting stuff but they end up with dishes they never use, shoes, clothes, and handbags they never use and jewelry that sits in a box gathering dust.
    At least us flashaholics that don't have a flashlight for every day of the year *test* most of them now and then to make sure they work... or do they? Maybe someone needs to make designer Lux3 purselights and LED dishes for women so they can get *hooked*.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

Lights are cheaper than golf!

[ QUOTE ]
    Lynx_Arc said:
    Women don't understand us guys collecting stuff but they end up with dishes they never use, shoes, clothes, and handbags they never use and jewelry that sits in a box gathering dust.
    At least us flashaholics that don't have a flashlight for every day of the year *test* most of them now and then to make sure they work... or do they? Maybe someone needs to make designer Lux3 purselights and LED dishes for women so they can get *hooked*.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know first hand about that!
    You should have seen the vast amount of socks my mom used to collect, I belive it would have been safe to say She had over 100 pairs of socks in all kinds of diffrent colors!
    My dad belives thats one reson why I hate socks! EEvvviilll things! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I may be the wet blanket here, but my reason is that they are not an optimal design. Either one use has too little run time, does not put out enough light, too small/big, uses expensive batteries, and difficult to be in all areas at once. I smoke and carry 2 lighters with me, thats it. A bic for most of my lighting needs and a butane wind resistance one for windy days when its hard to get the bi to light. But i carry 3-4 flashlights and have many more at home.