Dead Man pays bills

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That reminds me of the guy who set sail for Catalina Island from LA, his boat became disabled and he was adrift for 3 months. A drug interdiction patrol aircraft spotted him near Costa Rica and he was rescued alive. Nobody ever missed him. Pretty sad.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Strange, it worked earlier... BRB....

Well, it's an old story; news.google.com comes up with nothing other than the link above. The story has either expired (too old) or it's, as they say on the page, currently unavailable. Oh well, you can have your money back, I guess....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So will he have to repay the 2 years worth of pension payments that he did not "earn" by being alive?

This also makes me wonder if there are people who would keep an older relative's death a secret so they can continue to receive their social security or pension checks indefinitely. Kind of creepy to think about.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
So will he have to repay the 2 years worth of pension payments that he did not "earn" by being alive?

This also makes me wonder if there are people who would keep an older relative's death a secret so they can continue to receive their social security or pension checks indefinitely. Kind of creepy to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, people keep grandma and grandpa or mom or dad in the attic or basement or back room long after they are gone to keep on collecting those checks. Some because of greed others because they can't make ends meet with out the checks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There is also people that have 15 dependants that don't exist and get money from the government on taxes they never paid because of earned income credit or whatever it is called. It isn't every month but still a chunk of change.

I somehow don't think they are going to take this guys skeleton to court to sue him. If he had an estate they could track they could go after that and possibly sue the people that would inherit. Otherwise can you prove fraud if someone unwillingly dies to unknowingly commit it or does fraud require a person to be living to commit it in the first place? We could take a deceased lawyer and ask him. LOL

Zigzago

Enlightened
I think there was a similar story out of Germany a couple of years ago. As I recall they found a guy sitting in his living room two years after he died and the TV was still on.