Rechargeable 123 in LS-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Gents, I currently have my LS-2 in mothballs but have been wondering how well it would work with R123s @ 4.2v off the charger. It seems to me there was some advice against this, but I haven't been able to find any posts to this effect.

I know the Arc4 can handle them, but any advice about the LS-2 would be appreciated.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well. My LSH-P handles them fine. But i dont recomend it. Only reason i put it in my LSH was that i wasn't too concerned about blowing anything up since the emmitter isnt that great anyway. If you value your LS2 then dont to it. Or, do so at your own risk.

Shane

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cliff,

I have used them for several months now in my ARC LSHF-P and have had no problems. ARC warned against using them because at 4+ volts the unit is in (or close to) direct drive. Some of the LED's may not like that, and you risk damaging the converter board. Once the voltage drops below 4 volts, I don't believe there is any problem.

When I pressed Peter a bit more, he told me that there "might" be a problem with the cells "hot off the charger," and he told me they were better suited to the ARC 4. The discussion then changed to the low voltage protection offered by the ARC 4.

This is when we were testing the first batch of R-CR123's and were adjusting the chargers to put a full charge on the cells. By limiting the chargers to under 4.2 volts, he thought we could get away with it.

At any rate, with the cells charged at 4.195 volts they quickly drop below 4 volts as soon as you turn the light on.

I continue to use the cells in my ARC because I have proven them in it. I don't think there would be a problem using them in your light, but there is risk involved.

I suppose the question is: If it goes poof, can I get it repaired (or improved...)?

Tom

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it may be worth a try, and if things go "poof" there may be some way to turn it into an improved version.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you do poof it i'll buy it from you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dtlent

Newly Enlightened
Any one try the new Juice Rechargeable Li-ion CR 123A 3.6V with A/C and D/C charger? It's also available as a CR2 rechargeable. $39.95

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I have in use (sold under another brand), just modified the charger (added an resistor) to get fully charged cells.
This was already covered in too many threads .-)

dtlent

Newly Enlightened
Got the link to adding resister to obtain full charge?

Thanks!

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got teh modded charger and 2 of the actual juice branded cells. they seem fine. Bought the cells from Fry's for $10 each. Got the charger and another cell from 4sevens in a group buy.

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.