digital camera image transfer software for newbies

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will browse and ask this question in digital camera forums but am always amazed at the advice I get here in the Cafe. I am going to give a very non-technical family member my old digital camera along with a USB card reader. I am wondering if people know of any very easy to use software that will grab the images from the card when it's inserted into the reader and then allow you to easily do basic editing such as resizing, maybe some "auto image enhancement", etc. I always personally like a feature to easily crop it to a 4x6 format as well, for printing purposes. But at least be able to grab it and resize it with a simple to use interface. I like the Kodak easy share concept along with the docking station but this camera is not a Kodak. I'm not really familiar with what's out there because I always grab the images manually and then edit individually using Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Elements, but the person I'm giving the camera to would never go for that much detail and steps. I had a tough time to show and get her to use a cd burner.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Re: digital camera image transfer software for new

What about the applications that came with the camera? I think most digital cameras come with some very basic software that will do just that.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Microsoft "picture it" is really easy to use. It may not be the best software out there but it's easy for non technical persons and does a really good job. If you get it with a Microsoft works suite cd, you can get it really cheap. It even comes with word, works, encarta, money, streets & trips. It's usually less than thirty bucks.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12198.html

I've purchased from them with great service. Just curious, does the camera come with any type of editing software?

Irfanview might work and it's free. It is pretty good but I don't remember how good it is at capturing from a camera. But since it's free, it might be worth a try.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's shockingly easy even for newbies if your operating system isn't too old.

In the happy, "Sunny Day" scenarios, here's how it'd work on Windows, Mac, or Linux. I tried both WinXP and Mac just to verify. Because my camera is too new for Red Hat 9's camera tool "gtkam" and I didn't feel like updating I didn't test that platform.)

Win XP: (I just tried this with my Canon S400)
- Plug in Camera to USB port and then turn it on.
- The PnPlay interface identifies the camera and says so.
- Go to and open Start --> All Programs --> Microsoft Office Tools --> Microsoft Photo Editor.
- In Photo Editor, choose the camera in File --> Select Scanner Source.
- In Photo Editor, choose File --> Scan Image

Up pops a window showing you the photo contents of your camera. The same/similar should happen for the camera card reader.

- Double-click the image you want and from then on it's on your PC to view and edit as you wish.

-------------------

Mac OS X (10.3.5 is what I tried)

(iPhoto opens)
- Click the blue "Import" button in the lower-right area of the application window.
(The new pics from the camera are downloaded.)
- The pics are now available for editing in iPhoto.

----------------------------

Linux (RH 9, KDE)
- Open the application at Hat --> Graphics --> Digital Camera Tool
- Choose Camera --> "Add Camera..." --> Detect
- Open Hat --> Graphics --> The GIMP
- Choose File --> Acquire --> "Load From Camera..."

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should have added, the camera is a Nikon CP990, circa year 2000. It comes with that particular version of "Nikon View" in which I confess, I never loaded. It was a $900 camera at the time of purchase but would rather try and get a family member to use it rather then sell it for 10 or 15 cents on the dollar.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

You could just show them how to use the do it yourself digital printing thing at walgreens or most photo stores.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nikon's CP 990 has USB 1.1 output, so you can show a newbie how to connect the camera directly and/or how to use the USB card reader, right?

Either the card reader or the camera should work well.

If you want to go the Nikon sofware route you can download the latest Nikon View software here

CNC Dan has a good idea too, that maybe the simplest is to just do the printing at a photo store. My wife does that and leaves the camera management (pic backup to pc, deletion from card) to me which she could certainly do but doesn't care to deal with. Besides, I'm just surfing all day anyway, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I don't know about all cameras but the one I have I didn't install any software on purpose. I just installed the driver for it and acessed the pictures in windows explorer.The camera I am using has them as jpg files and it sets it up as a removable disk drive you just drag the folder to your desktop or wherever and to delete pictures just hit alt-A which highlights all the pictures and hit the delete key and say yes to the trashcan. Most picture editing software you can browse to where you put the pictures.

Another good image viewing program is Xnview it is freeware.