the Next Gen bb1000 off one cr123 VS SFL4

oldeng95

Enlightened
I have not seen enough specs to know. Is the Next Gen bb1000 w/the PR head off of a E1e brighter than a stock L4 running 2 cr123s ???

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you are talking about throw, there is no comparison. Bernhard did some beam shot comparisons that might help?!? If you are talking about flux or luminious output, the L4 is putting out more light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

oldeng95

Enlightened
ok, then is there any luxeon 1 cell light that is brighter than the L4, because to me the L4 is bright but not bright enough in some aplications. Even my Mod. kl3 800ma 3watt sometimes comes up short. But I would Enjoy an Arc 4X at 46 lumens if I could get my hands on one...

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldeng95,

Feed that sucker with a li-ion 123 and it will really be kicking. Although the beam should be VERY similar to the KL3 mod (if it's one of mine with the PR in it), it should be brighter. The L4 won't even be able to come close in terms of throw.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
oldeng95,
Are you after lux or lumens??? When you say not bright enough, what do you mean? Is the whole room not lit well enough or is a more distant targer not lit up well enough? Lumens tell you nothing about illuminating at a distance (concentration of light) and lux tells you nothing about area of illumination. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
a picture sais more than a thousand words:

"lux vs. lumens"

Pic1: The SF L4

rl_led_06_l4.jpg

Pic 2: McLux PR DB917 TWAK

rl_led_08_prt_TWAK_917.jpg

You see that while the hotspot of the McLux is quite hotter than the L4, the Surefire puts out more total light, but in a flood beam.
L4 has more lumens, McLux has more lux.

You have to ask the correct question (lux or lumens) to receive an adequate answer ...
smoker.gif

bernhard

bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
In that case, you aren't going to find much, in LED's that put out a significant amount of light over the L4. A larger reflector coupled with a 5W and driven harder will give you more punch in a more concentrated flood than the L4. This may or may not be what you are after. The NexGen with a LuxIII on a single 123 will not come close to the luminious output of the L4.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yeah ... my beloved 5W stomps'em all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
bernhard

cy

Flashaholic
I second that. for total output a good 5watt will stomp a 3watt. even an ARC4X.

toyopet

Newly Enlightened
Bernhard - You should post the beam shot pic of your PR X3T. That's what made me get the Aleph 5w... no regrets at all. My wife doesn't have to ask me to take out the trash at night anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oldeng95, a 5W in a PR head will out throw the KL4 with the same lumens if you want to concentrate your beam some.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
Hey, from where are popping-out those NextGen ?

I'm in search of one LE-NextGen-BB900/1000 , read more here .
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Marco,
If you look at my Price and Build List you might notice that I added the option of the NexGen into the build options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I wanted to sort of slide into these without making a big bang about them yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was going to wait until the weekend and then post a new thread..........

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If L4 is about 60-65 lumens(underdriven 5 watter) then 3 watter driven at high specs will easily equal or surpass lumens of L4. The real difference between the two is beam pattern, with 3 watter going for more of a spot (throw) beam, and L4 putting out more of a flood beam. The 3 watters do very well, lumen wise.

Bill

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think the L4 is under rated with the current 5W LED's that are being used in them and the L2 is more indicative of "real" output. Further, SF takes a conservative approach and provides true output net of thermal, optic and window loss. To compare a Lux III, even over driven, net of the real losses will show the 5W still well ahead in terms of lumenous output, IMHO.