Initial login question for Windows XP users...

Stu

Newly Enlightened
s, p, d & f orbitals.. somewhere in the Rockies
I hate to post a noob question like this. I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows XP (it might be SP1 version?). The little Windows book that came with it tells me to do initial login as Administrator, then create a separate User account to avoid potential hacker type problems.
But, the initial install wizard basically asked "Who will be using this computer? (type in name) and what type of account should they have.. administrator or limited?"
So, I typed in my name first and checked "computer administrator" as the type of account, then created a second account with my nickname and listed that account as "limited" access. It looks like this on the User Account screen:
1st account:"Full name"
Computer administrator
Password protected
2nd account: "Nickname"
Limited access
Password protected

The question is, did I do that right as far as an initial login as Administrator (is the "Full Name" account THE Administrator)? Or do I need to create an account that is literally named "Administrator" to be able to do all the deep stuff with the software/hardware (which I obviously don't know how to do)?
I think I got thrown off when the install wizard didn't show the login steps like the book seems to indicate the initial login should go. I'll get an Idiot's Book for Windows XP tomorrow, but if anybody knows if I need to change or delete what I have done, I appreciate it.
Thanks

BobVA

Enlightened
Here's a nice, obscure incantation for you.

Do "Start" "Run" then type "control userpasswords2" This will bring up an applet that will list the accounts on your machine.

It's fine to have an administrator account called something other than "Adminstrator", but you'll probably see an account in there called that. It's a hidden account that you should set a password on as well. (If you access the accounts list via the "User Accounts" applet on the control panel, it won't show the hidden administrator account.)

Cheers,
Bob

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! That's a good one BobVA. I hadn't seen that one yet. Thx.

Another way to get to a useful user accounts admin screen is to go...

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management

Then click the '+' to expand the "Local Users and Groups".
Click on "Users" and you'll see even the disabled accounts on your machine.

You should see your 2 usernames you created and (well, I think you will) the Administrator account, which is created by default. You can change its password by right-clicking on the Administrator account in that Computer Management screen and choosing "Set Password..." then proceed through the warning screen that says you can lose data. I think you won't lose anything at this point since you haven't done anything yet (have you?).

Now, if the Administrator is listed there I don't recall what the default password would be..., meaning whether it's "Administrator" as the password for default I think.

Are you aware that in WinXP that to get to the familiar login screen so you can login as Administrator you need to press ctrl-alt-delete TWICE? You do. Just Mr. Gates messin' with yer head as usual. Hehe.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The administrator user does not have to be called "administrator". It could be "peanuts" for all XP cares, it's the properties of the account that makes it an "administrator". I used my name for the administrator user.

Stu

Newly Enlightened
Aha BobVA.. I found what you are talking about. Within that applet was an advanced tab that allows control of the passwords and assignment of user status. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should just utilize the user account for web surfing (once I get that connected) to allow for some amount of security against hackers (as opposed to using an account with administrator rights).
I'm now trying to figure out if I need an account with Administrator rights in order to use some business software, or just an account with only "power user" or "user" rights. It looks like the cutoff is anything with Administrator rights can change Windows system files, whereas the various "user" accounts cannot add software/hardware or change settings, but can run applications. I hope that's right, anyway! Man, this is aggravating trying to figure out. I appreciate the input you guys have given.

Stu

Newly Enlightened
greenLED-
That makes sense, and I see where the "group membership" assignment can be made to any of the user groups with the advanced properties tab.
I wonder if I should set up a "power user" account to run my business software, and just a "user" account for web surfing. But, what if I find some useful downloads on the internet, such as antivirus updates or other things that would need to be installed as programs (maybe this one should be a "power user" account, but a separate one)?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Exactly! I find that it's a drag to have two separate users with different permissions. I hate having to login/out when I'm playing with new software. Over time, I've given my "regular" user account full administrative priviliges. I have several layers of protection installed and running (and my PC locks itself after some short period of inactivity), so I figured nobody would be playing where they're not supposed to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, binky, what instance of XP are you using that requires you to press Ctrl+Alt+Del *twice* to access the administrator login? Maybe I'm too used to logging into a server, etc. and have forgotten whether there's an alternative XP login screen.

One last thing, please, don't check the option where Windows saves your password so you don't have to enter it at login...

turbodog

Flashaholic
Also, do not encrypt your files. I makes recovery more difficult if your drive dies and someone's trying to save your files.

It has been my experience (and I do this for a living for about 15 years now) that it really isn't gonna matter if you're an admin or not AS FAR AS PROTECTION goes. More often than not, NOT being a part of the admin group will spell TROUBLE in loading programs, setting up and changing printer properties and a host of other problems.

Bottom line, make your username part of the admin group, load all windows patches, turn on automatic windows update, run some name-brand virus software, enable your firewall, and DON'T click on anything that you should not on the internet! You will then be just fine.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
W-o-w. I do this stuff as a job too, and the best resource for tech info I've found? A flashlights forum... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks guys, this info will definitely aid me where I'm going.

I just learned two new things - pressing C-A-D twice bypasses the 'user friendly' click to log in screen. I normally have this disabled, and it will be disabled if you are part of a domain (not usually an issue unless you're on a corporate network) but it's good to know you can do that 'on the fly' too.

Second thing is 'control userpasswords2'.. the fact that they hide your admin account from you is very unnerving, especially when you change the other passwords and forget it or have no way to change it (if you didn't know this trick).When your computer is freshly installed, you create your username, you assign it a password. By default, XP assigns an identical password to the built-in admin account.

When you change your user's password for security reasons, the administrator password is NOT changed!! Furthermore, with the default control panel you can't access it to change it. Most people don't even know that there still is an Administrator account.

Joe Hax0r comes along, and you are rooted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Turbodog: agreed. The 'don't login as root' thing comes from the UNIX world. As you've rightly pointed out, it's more of a hassle on Windows than any real safety.

Stu

Newly Enlightened
You guys are really helpful.
I might be very slightly less confused now. Hopefully I'm correct in assuming that the "Administrator" account that exists on initial Windows startup can have both its username and password changed to whatever you want (I guess they have to start out with at least the one administrator account generically named "Administrator"). Also, it appears that you can create as many accounts as you please (potentially all if you select them all to be in the admistrator group membership)with equal administrator rights that are no different than those of the initial "Administrator" account. I think I saw somewhere in the Help files that there must always be at least one account with full administrator rights (apparently with any username/password you wish) and that this one such account cannot be deleted (or you wouldn't be able to make system changes as needed).

It also looks like the Control-alt-delete thingy done twice at the login screen allows you to list whatever account's username/password combo to get into that particular account, & it's apparently not just for logging into the "Administrator" account.

What is so confusing to the new XP user, is that Windows' advice is to not surf the net with administrator type accounts due to risk of viruses, etc., yet you apparently can't access/install lots of needed programs without administrator rights. So, although Windows tells you to quickly create your own separate User account after logging in initially as Administrator, for all practical purposes you will wind up with potentially just one account with administrator rights (cause you need 'em to do routine stuff anyway). Perhaps being "careful" and proceeding as turbodog and greenLED suggest is the way to go.
Thanks again, guys.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with all the above. I usually run as a non-administrator but I don't know if it's worth it. You need to be an administrator to install programs and to use a lot of the computer management stuff. You also need to be an administrator before McAfee will install any updates it's
downloaded.

I think somewhere around service pack 1, the way you create users during setup was changed. Apparently they didn't change the little book.

You can run most programs as an administrator when you are logged on otherwise by right clicking on the program or shortcut and clicking on "run as". You need to enter a password so it's still a bit of a hassle.

No matter how you slice it you ought to have at least two accounts. That way if your promary account gets it's registry mangled you still may be able to log in. The secondary account needs to be an administrator or it won't do you much good.

The screen where you hit ctrl-alt-del twice is usually called the "welcome screen". I guess that differentiates it from the old login screen you get after you hit ctrl-alt-del twice. By the way, that trick only works if there is nobody logged on.

If you want to get to users and groups one click faster you can right click on My Computer and click on "Manage". Lots of good stuff there.