Tough Decision Made Easy

I'm a geek for cell phones as much as I am for flashlights. Always looking for the ultimate EDC in a cell phone. I already carry a bulky Treo 600 when on business but carry a smaller pocket sized phone as well. I've been using a Motorola V60, then a V600, but lately I've struggled with the best small EDC phone. I definitely wanted something WITHOUT an antenna stub, so I wouldn't break it in my pocket, and there were several options. But what put it over the top for me was when I was in the T-Mobile store today and the salesman showed me that the Samsung E715 (which happens to be VERY cool looking and has an internal antenna - no stub) has, get this....a flashlight ! Well, at that point it was a no-brainer. Here it is. I love it. That's the flashlight in the second photo.

E715.jpg

E715_Light.jpg

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Awesome!

Thanks very much for sharing with us.

And I am sure it is only a matter of time before a flashlight feature on cell phones becomes more common.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I LOVE PDA/smart phones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a Treo 600 too and found it very useful since I use email and IMs a lot. It's not too bulky for me, may be a little too wide, but I don't like small phones anyway. The biggest thing I hate about the Treo 600 is no Bluetooth support, not even using a SDIO card. A higher resolution screen would be nice too...I guess I am describing the Treo 650 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before the Treo, I had a Samsung VGA1000, it has a LED as flash for the camera. But it's totally useless, instead, I used my EDC SF L4 as flash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, I like the external LCD on your new Samsung, looks very nice! Is that another LED on the right of the camera?

[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
I like the external LCD on your new Samsung, looks very nice! Is that another LED on the right of the camera?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the service light. It's pretty cool: flashes green every ten seconds or so when in active mode, flashes blue when you've missed a call, and flashes red (I think) when you're out of signal range.

I like my Treo 600 but it's a bit heavy if you just want to go out on the weekend. Unfortunately, I need it almost all the time. So I'm usually a two-phone dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Did your Treo die on you or have any problem at all? I read on treocentral lots of people have to get multiple replacements before they got a perfectly working phone. I am lucky, I got a good one the first time, even though my ESN is within the supposingly problem range.

The Nokia 6630 to me seems to be too big for what it does, a bit too wide to be exact. This is the same thing I dislike the most about my Treo, it's a bit hard to hold up to your ear.

And for the new Blackberry, I found it strange that they ditch their QWERTY thumboard and use that "QWERTY-like" one. I like their thumboards, easier to use than the Treo's.

No, I actually got one of the earliest versions from Sprint and I've never had a problem (unlike a friend of mine). Yes, the new Blackberry does have a strange keyboard, but it looks good and it seems to be priced very competitively. I am half tempted to convert to it and lose the Treo.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now thats a sweet phone. My friend has the Samsung VGA1000, im embaressed to say ive got a Nokia 3595. I just dont use my phone enough to pay for a good one.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Didn't know you have a Sprint one, I thought you have a T-Mobile. Sprint is good for heavy data users, which is me...I use data more than voice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it wasn't Sprint charging the extra monthly fee for a PPC smartphone, I probably would have got that instead. Even though I have a Palm OS fan, but the multimedia stuff on the PPC is very tempting.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
Now thats a sweet phone. My friend has the Samsung VGA1000, im embaressed to say ive got a Nokia 3595. I just dont use my phone enough to pay for a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the VGA1000, I like the way you can take pictures with it. All you have to do is hold on to a button and it will bring the camera app up and then you can use the external LCD for viewfinder, very handy for taking spy pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I didn't really get interested in cell phones until recently. Now they can do so much more than just making phone calls, it's like having a mini computer with you.

J_Oei

Enlightened
As for Sprint, look for the Samsung SPH-i550,
looks like the E715, but with PalmOS features.

(And unlinke the Treo, actually looks like a normal
phone.) Now, if they ever release it....

KingSmono

Enlightened
I have the EXACT same phone!!

But, I hope you didn't pay T-Mobile's price of:

Suggested retail: $249.99
Mail-in rebate: -50.00

Final price: $199.99

Because you can get it at Amazon.com (where I got mine) for:

Our Price: $279.99 (when purchased with service plan)
Special Offers: -250.00
Price After Special Offers: $29.99

Yes, that's right... after rebates and offers, you save 170 dollars!!!!!!!! (Which is almost an HDS EDC Ultimate, or a McGizmo Aleph!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) The only catch is you have to sign up for a new 1 year contract (which are the EXACT same contracts offered at tmobile.com or in the store). So, if you're an existing t-mobile subscriber, you don't qualify...) I hate Mail In Rebates, but this deal was too good to pass up!!!!

-Allen

[ QUOTE ]
KingSmono said:
I have the EXACT same phone!!

But, I hope you didn't pay T-Mobile's price of:

Suggested retail: $249.99
Mail-in rebate: -50.00

Final price: $199.99

[/ QUOTE ]

Argghhh. Yes, of course I paid the T-Mobile price. Well, live and learn, I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif But, hey, don't ya love that phone?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KingSmono

Enlightened
Yes... It is amazing. The only qualm I have with it is the battery life. But, a solution easily remedied! I ordered a spare samsung battery (model BST2069DE), and a samsung desktop charger for the battery (model DCH069BBC). So now, I ALWAYS have a full battery on hand. When I notice mine is getting low (usually a couple of days, depending on usage) I just swap the batteries! It's especially handy when I'm heading out the door, and notice my phone isn't gonna last much longer, but I don't have the time to charge it, or don't wanna hassle with bringing the charger whereever I'm going... The only thing is, if you get these accessories, make sure you get OEM Samsung parts. The aftermarket substitutes are CRAP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Let me tell you, the Mail in Rebates were a PAIN!! They were delayed, denied, re-approved, and FINALLY processed. About 3 or 4 months later, I got my rebates... Oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif It was kinda like getting paid though when I finally got them, because I had almost forgotten that I had money coming my way!