new mini Luxeon LED

*Retired*
43 lumens, can solder on a board...
the version due out shortly is 80 lumens, p/n LXCL-PWF2

pwf_ruler.jpg

http://www.lumileds.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=17

datasheet is here:
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS49.pdf

Luxeon Flash LXCL-PWF1 provides output of 40 lumens at 1 Ampere, and an LXCL-PWF2 LED delivers 80 lumens at 1 Ampere. Conventional LEDs produce just 6-7 lumens. The new Luxeon
Flash products are rated for 100,000 flashes at 1 Ampere and 168 hours of DC (flashlight/torch mode) at 350 mA. These surface-mount products are only 1.0mm in height; their footprints (2.0 x 1.6 mm or 3.2 x 1.6 mm) make them the smallest functional camera flash sources on the market.

Okay, so when will our modders get these worked into some killer EDCs?

BTW, notice it's C/W is alot lower, at 9.3 C/W...

*Retired*
Would imagine so, just like any other LED, put less power in, and they last alot longer.

Sounds much like the five watt luxeons going dim in only 500 hours.

Still very impressive.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
168 hours at a drive current of 350mA sounds like horse puckey to me.

Horse puckey!!!
HORSE PUCKEY!!!!!!
HOOOOOOORRRSE PUCKKKKKEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

But for those equipped to handle, test, and install SMD components (not me), these do look like they'll make a terrific flashlight/torch.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just don't leave them out on the counter with a box of chiclets around... gulp.. there goes one expensive piece of candy into some kids mouth.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig sez it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

They'd better be field-replaceable at 168 hours of service life. As a camera flash they'd do pretty well though, 100K flashes should be enough even for the phoneaholics.

What comes to mind though is dat2zip's comment "I dropped another big LED in the carpet"..... better not drop these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why the lower lifetime at DC compared to a normal luxeon? This one has a better thermal path...Or are they giving those estimates based on it being mounted on a PCB, with a pretty crappy thermal path due to the PCB its self?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess failures due to thermal problems. That is a LOT of heat that would need to be dissipated, and there is no cooling for the PCB, Unless they mount a CPU heatsink and a fan on the side of the phone.
Jeff

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Think, If you put Cathode & Anode directly on some kind of Heat Sink and then try to run the mini Monster, it will give a LOT more LIFE than just mere hundreds ... Hours.

Think of a Copper Base round rod of lets say 3 - 4 mm Diameter, Cut centrally (to provide insulation to Anode & Cathode part, the Cut Portion gap is filled with a heat resistant insulating epoxy... now glue that miniMonster over the copper assembly with the help of conducting glue (both heat & Electricity)

Run this thing on 3 ... LR41 (small button cells) or may be the SR Cells (silver Oxide cells, give a lot more punch) (Diameter of cells is hardly 4 or 5 mm) .... and make WORLD's smallest & Brightest (for its size) Flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cut a 5 MM Led to make a DECENT Optics.... i am sure it will work GREAT...

I have checked LR44 button cells to give out a punching 1/2 AMP ... SR44 does up to 1 AMP !!!... (short circuit)

Also, check out other silver oxide small cells... they sure can drive that mini LED atleast at 100 mA for lets say 10 - 20 Minutes for sure...

ViReN

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
ViReN has it! Two pieces of copper (lapped flat) seperated/laminated with some .005" polyimide/Kapton and then machined into a 'sink offers some pretty cool potential!

Larry

ScubaFan

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if these can be PWMed using a high enough frequency that it appears constant on to the naked eye?

Will make a nice and bright flashlight...:)