mini mag conversion to new beam led

IlikeLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

Just recently convered my mini mag to a opleac new beam led kit and it works fine and everything but i'm quite disappointed with the output. I compared it to a brand new mini mag and in my opinion the mini mag with the incandecent was more powerful and had more throw compared to the mod led mag. So just wondering do people know any other led kits for mini mags the match or are more powerful than the output and throw of normal mini mag and if so where do you get them from?

Thansk

shooter08

Newly Enlightened
The Opalec is for short range close work. They run for a very long time
without dimming.
Here's a couple of links to longer throwing luxeons to start off.

http://www.anlighten.com/shop/

This site sells high quality regulated
luxeon sandwichs of various outputs.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda2/kit2.htm

This site has a sandwich that other members have and seem to really like.

Hope this helps you out in your quest.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Remember there is a tradeoff between brightness and runtime. The Newbeam will give you lower light output but extended runtime. Dat2zip's sammies are BRIGHT, but some have limited runtime (<1hr). Nice thing about sammies, they come in "flavors" -output-wise that is- so you can play a little with the brightness/runtime issue. You can also build them yourself!

I have not used Lambda's pills yet.
The Terralux "light engine" is another popular mod for the 2AA mini-mag. Run a search on all these names for specific threads.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you wanted to better the total output and throw of the Mini-Mag's incandescent blub, the Opalec just won't do the job.

You might want to try one of the InReTECH drop-ins, or one of the "sandwiches" from the Sandwich Shoppe.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ditto all of the above suggestions & guidance. Again, the Opalec is designed for long runtime, close up work, and as a general "weak flood" type light. It's a GREAT power outage torch! Sucks the juice out of AAs that seem "dead" in other flashlights. Then you get that little red LED lighting up telling you that "soon this set of batteries is gonna bite the dust".

It's like that drawer of screwdrivers in your tool chest...there are many different tools designed for different purposes.

Your Opalec seems to be performing within it's designed parameters. I say keep it and mod another MiniMag or Brinkmann AA, keep em' both!

The Opalec is a great "keep from stumbling" around the house at night torch. It's also a great tent light for camping...

You want "throw & output"? Get a mod using a side emitter LED & reflector from one of our modders!

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

It sould be pointed out that there is a problem with the asumption about the throw of the opalec.

#1: It can't be compare to the regular mini-mag as the MOD
has no reflector. Just a black sleve to act as a centering modual and actuator switch tab.

#2: The led's of the opalec themselves are not encased in any reflective or focusing material.

Ex. I have a 4 led mini maglite light that has a cylindical refector/colimnator (silver) that slips over the
led's (each led has it's only tight fit slot in the cylinder (90+% of the leds surface area is sourounded by the reflector/colimnator.

It's throws over 50 feet.

All that aside for the sugestion you requested for a mini maglite replacement . I would sugest the terralux ministar2.

The new kit now comes with a factory made (specific) reflector for the terralux an it's a simple drop in.

Enjoy.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IlikeLEDs said:
Hey,

Just recently convered my mini mag to a opleac new beam led kit and it works fine and everything but i'm quite disappointed with the output. I compared it to a brand new mini mag and in my opinion the mini mag with the incandecent was more powerful and had more throw compared to the mod led mag. So just wondering do people know any other led kits for mini mags the match or are more powerful than the output and throw of normal mini mag and if so where do you get them from?

Thansk

[/ QUOTE ]

you may want to actually "use" the light first before you jump to any conclusions. of course it won't have the throw of the stock crappy bulb but the usefulness of the clean beam will be much more apparent if you actually use it in a real world situation.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
that was one reason I didn't go with the newbeam, i got a chance to see one and passed i did get teralux ministar2 and it great,(for a inexpensive drop in) it has a fine up close properties, and a lot of throw. since most of the better pills are 20 or more dollar's higher, and some are not in stock, I think this is a great deal for a lux that will be a lot brighter, and last longer on batt's. I got another because of the it's ability to do both.
I see no reason to upgrade a MM if it doesn't out perform
the stock light.imho. VDG

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might consider just getting a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. Maybe wait for the holiday sales as it might be cheaper....or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too want to do this as I have 4 of those lights. I like the candle feature as it can be a nice room light and hate to loose that with an LED, second hate to have a light that is marginal too. I bought a drop in replacement from some green company and it contained a plastic plain reflector and a single led. It was very dull and dim. I called them and they said it was ment for like use in your locker and what not.

So, I would be interested in something equally as bright or brighter with maybe a side emmitter or so so it can use teh same candle function.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Then you be talking either a Lambda or a dat 2 zip drop in sammie.

If Lambda gets the build process nailed down, I would HIGHLY recommend his 3W High Dome pill. It is simply amazing! It is my EDC now and for as far as my eyes can see!

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are two more threads comparing mods. My quickie opinion:

Opalec- most generally useful amount of light and 2x battery life vs. incandescent. Is as bright as the stock bulb once the batteries aren't spanking new. Warning light is cool. I don't know, but imagine the Terralux 4x5mm LED mod has similar output but no warning.

TerraLux - Easiest to put in, but not like any are a challenge. Good for alkaline batteries as the 300mA current input is reasonable. 8 hr runtime, brighter than stock bulb with new batteries.

Inretech- can't really recommend except with Lithium AA cells for an emergency light. It is cheaper than other luxeon mods though as no electronics. Also the most reliable. Will run off alkaline for a long time, but pretty dim generally, and doesn't fully discharge the batteries.

MadMax by Dat2zip - the adjustable or light (500mA input) versions are good if you want a lot of light but don't want to give up the option of alkalines. 500mA is overdoing it for alkaline AAs but the converter is very efficient and capable of running the batteries to 0.4V each. And, it's bright enough that you won't keep thinking your NiMHs should be in something that gives them a harder workout. Also available now in HD (longer throw, more uniform beam) for $30. The fraen optic is a little tight for general use but can be de-focused for a wider beam. Also, it's squirrely to fit it properly in the head, with the o-ring between it and the front lens, as it tends to slip through the middle of the "o". You can order a NX05 wider beam optic, which is best with a LD, but does work with a HD.

Lambda SMD+ - $25, Draws up to 2 amps, gets hot, picture is HD actual unit I got LD, dunno how hard it drives the LED. It's as bright as my Q3J MadMax adj set wide-open (WO), brighter than the MadMax lite HD I just got. The electronics or LED are not very efficient. Maybe as low as 60%. I can't find any measured efficiency or Iout spec - anyone know this info? Long and short of it is, this mod is for NiMH cells ONLY, and more tempting when the MadMax lite isn't on sale.

If that's not bright enough you're going to want a 3W LED on a BadBoy 750 or 1000, or Lambda's new 3W mod when they become generally available.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=710178

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=710170

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I believe as is i got like 4 hours of usable light, than it fades away and the bulb mirrors over and about 8 hours of use replace the bulb.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never tried the SMD+ I may do that next. I still think the terralux is gonna be best bet for simple/quick, with great brightness + throw.

As a semi newbie, i think some of the other's, that need tweeking, drilling,ad on reflectors/parts and more setup up are for later after you have had some time/experance on a decent drop in luxeon. imho. VDG

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SMD+ does require replacing the stock reflector with an NX05 optic, but that's pretty simple. None of the ones I mentioned are difficult.

Latest posts