TW4 runtime?

bajaiman

Enlightened
I was just wondering if you guys can tell me the runtime you have on your TW4 (KL4 with 1x123 body) before it drops out of regulation. When its starting to drop outside regulation does it mean that it starts to flicker?.

I'm not sure if mine is normal but I run my TW4 for 85 minutes before it started to flicker. I measured it with my metermann and it registered about 500 lux at 70cm then dropped to about 400 lux in the next 5 minutes then it stayed at 390 lux for the next 70 minutes then dropped gradually for the next 15 minutes before it started to flicker.

I like to know if my runtime bad/avg/above avg.

Cheers.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the TW4 combo runs in regulation at all. 5 watts is asking an aweful lot from a single CR123.

bajaiman

Enlightened
Kakster...thank you for your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought it would be regulated as I saw the reading from Metermann was steady for 70 minutes. I was wrong then. I'd like to get the idea if my TW4 runtime normal compared with other TW4 owner out there.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
bajaiman

Very good results , your is a very good KL4 , it has a very good led in it IMHO.

You would better not to sell it or sell it at a premium price !

Can you tell me what is your lux reading with 2x123 at 1 meter ?

Thanks

luxlover

Banned
Although we will never see on SureFire's website that the KL4 and the E1e body can work well together, because of Vf variations in the Luxeon V emitters and the low voltage of a single 123 battery, in far too many cases it happens to be a wonderful light. One of those cases is mine. I must have a fairly low Vf Luxeon V emitter, because my TW4 combo projects a "wall of light" just like it's big brother the L4, even though the light output is less. The scope of the sidespill is similar regardless of which body it is used with. I think that Dan of Tactical Warehouse had a brilliant idea when he married the two parts which have each proven to be a good performer.

Flashdark

Enlightened
bajaiman,

I have tested 3 KL4 heads on the E1e and all three have run about 35-45 minutes before the output fell to the level of a KL1. I did not continue the test until flicker so I can't help you there. I also did not watch closely enough initially to see if they IMMEDIATELY started to dim as soon as I turned them on. I can only report that for about 35-45 minutes, they exceeded the output of the KL1 and I was very pleased with the amount of light output.

knifebright

Enlightened
It depends on wether or not i'm using primary cells or r123's. with a primary cell mine runs for about 40 minutes before flickering but it is never at full power. With a r123, modded to hold 4.2volts i get about a little over 20 minutes at regulation (know this from comparing and it gets hot with an r123 from the capacitor working overtime) then it drops out after that. I've never ran it after it drops out of regulation because i'm afraid of damaging my unprotected cells. When it does drop out the voltage always reads 2.86 volts.
great little light especially with a mce2s
jimmy

bajaiman

Enlightened
Thanks for all your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Miciobigio ... lux reading with 2x123 is about 570 lux at 1 meter. With 1x123 its 190 lux at 1 meter.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
bajaiman,

thanks , i've not done a runtime of my KL4 on 3 Volt but i've done a runtime of a similar head (Aleph2 BB700 5W) , i'll post that here for comparision.

Aleph2 5W 1x123 on the left , Kl4 1x123 with an Aleph body and tailcap ( 2 level-brightness ) on the right.

10110019.jpg

A1runtime.jpg