New LED light bulbs

*Retired*
http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=49401040

MANHASSET, N.Y. — Lighting Science Inc. (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) has introduced an environmentally friendly LED bulb that reportedly slashes light costs by 80 percent compared to incandescent, fluorescent, and other LED bulbs.

The technology, called Optimized Digital Lighting (ODL), utilizes a patented LED (light emitting diode) bulb that's designed to generate less heat than other bulbs while delivering 30 percent greater light output, according to the company.

Another drawback to LEDs, color shift, was solved by using red, green, and blue LEDs to produce a white light.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
very interesting, they are actually selling a 65 watt replacement bulb using only 6.5 watts. But it looks like you have to sign up to see a price, and there are no real pictures of the things that i can find on their website! I HATE it when companies are selling interesting and expensive things and only include a computer rendered drawing of their product! Come on http://www.lightingscience.com show us your bulbs!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There was another thread that posted a similar article, it may have been the same one. Their LED *bulb* was actually a flood lamp or R-30 type equivelent which although useful won't appeal to most light bulb users. The cost was 33.00 each and the picture looked like it had 50-100 LEDs stuffed into a flat round board in a cone shaped base.

Free

Enlightened
You can find out the details, with pictures Here

Also, if you click on order, it shows the price of $34.95
Here

These are non-dimmable, but I found it rather exciting that they are planning dimmable versions as well. They are about 3-4 X the cost of regular halogens, but would pay for themselves over a lifetime.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
One thing I like about these is that they seem to have standardized on 3500K (or 3800K in one case) as warm white. This is pleasant and tolerable for most indoor lighting conditions, unlike the disgusting yellow 2700K of most CFLs. I hope LEDs for general lighting follow this trend where 3500K is the warmest they get, and also with options for higher color temperatures.

I still find the efficiency claims a bit unbelieveable. And I think this is the same bulb that I started a thread on a few days ago.

*Retired*
At least the CRI will be better than white LED based bulbs.

Yes, there is lots of hype these days, guess we will have to wait and see. One advantage of utilizing may LEDs (if they did it right) is redundancy.

Keep in mind that there is many LED die in this solution, and since there are so many LEDs, it is very possible they are actually under-driving the LEDs which would make them more efficient.