Rotten Cat Urine as our color benchmark -- WHY??

avusblue

Enlightened
Watching many threads (the HDS one in particular lately) where the tint of White LEDs is discussed ad nauseum . . . and the "nauseum" seems to be accentuated by the prevailing use of cat urine as the reference point for the color of an unappealingly green tinted LED.

This has been going on for years. I believe our beloved Craig coined it long ago. But I dare to ask: "Why?"

How did cat pee become our benchmark?? Who looks at cat urine, anyway?? And moreso, not just cat urine, but ROTTEN cat urine??

Eeww. I think we should consider a new point of reference. How about cheese mold? Or tree lichen? Just about anything would be less disgusting than cat pee.

Food for thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cheers,

Dave

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Re: Rotten Cat Urine as our color benchmark -- WHY

Because cheese mold comes in a variety of colors, and I don't think I could pick tree lichen out if you pointed to it.

But I'll bet my lithium batteries that you knew exactly what Craig was talking about, the first time he said it, even if you've had the good fortune never to have actualy seen rotten cat urine.

You just can't argue with results like that.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Well we "flashaholics" certainly realize the connotations when that term is used. Perhaps we should come up with a "suitable" color name/synonym for that "Rotten Cat Urine/Pee Green" term that could be used in a "professional" sense?

"Rotten Cat Urine/Pee Green" isn't exactly the term that I would use in a letter to SureFire, but it certainly gets attention, doesn't it?

If I had a contest, I'd say that the original CMG Reactor 2 cell torch would be the winner! I've probably got that prime "example" in my torch collection as well! Perhaps we should have a contest for a new term and the winner will get my "prime example"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However, I'd be willing to bet that there are many "prime examples" out there!

Though Craig references this term with words & pics all throughout his website...does he cover it anywhere else besides specific reviews? Is the "Luxeon Lottery" explained anywhere?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

You won't likely see anything That green any more with the advent of the new phosphor application process. The really green ones were mostly present in Low Domes.

So now we have to resort to a True "tint departure" from pure white. Just a slight variance. That's about as bad as you're likely to get, especially from the new Luxeon 3s...

Flashlight Enthusiast

^I'm not sure what Longbow uses (low or high dome)?, but I have a Micra that is ugly nasty rotten cat urine green, and it was bought a couple months ago.

BTW, is their a technical reason why low domes generally have inferior tint?

rdshores

Enlightened

Rotten Cat Urine? Is it the cat or the urine that is rotten? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
LD phosphor was 'painted' on, HD is vapor deposited (more even coverage).

[/ QUOTE ]

You should look at LumiLEDs pad printing process patent...

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember in the early days it used to be "pea green". Which was quickly distorted to "pee green" from which it got worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif . I have always found the urine-related references rather offensive and unpleasent. But maybe that`s just me.

Most people it would seem, dislike green tints more than purple ones, perhaps hence why such a vile description was coined. I actually prefer the yellow/green tints to the blue/purple ones, which perhaps makes me in the minority again. Of course, I prefer a "daylight" untinted white most of all, but given a choice of two, I`d take the warmer tint most of the time.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree that there has been an excess of bathroom metaphors used on this website and some related review websites. References to dunking flashlights in toilets and descriptions of the appearance of certain flashlights, etc. I guess it just caught on as a form of slang around here. I personally find it odd every time I see it.

Longbow

Enlightened

I like Craig's site and visit it daily.That said I too find bathroom humor offensive, always have. Pea green is fine.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i wanna know what sick individual collected the cat urine,let it rot,and came up with its color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif
poor cat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened

Some Edin Festivals ago worked on a show that was brought in from Israel,at some expense with a company of 12, performed entirely in Yiddish, Jewish (?) dialect, with continuous translation provided by 4 translators and induction loop around the auditorium.

The entrire plot appeared to revolve around toilet jokes, but in Yiddish, thats art folks.

Adam

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i still recall my first lux light it was a streamlight 3 aa i saved for ever to get it. at that point in my life i never ordered off line before. so i had to find it close to here which was fort benning ga at the army place called ranger joes i had to get a ride there and pay for ride but i was so excited i had my money saved . the excitement built i was so excited at casher i couldtn wait to get incar to open it. i do and man it was so green i was so bummed.i had like 50 invested in it after ride and everything i sold it on bst and even said something like worst light ever lol sold it for 20 bucks if i recall. eww that green still bothers me

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

raggie, I think I bought that Streamlight 3aa from someone here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just joking, though I do have one and it does have a bit of yellow/green to it. I keep it around as a "power outage" torch. It is well built and has a lifetime warranty on it...so it's a keeper in the drawer.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I respect those who find these terms offensive, and I'll make an honest effort not to use that term when describing tints in the future. However, at least the slang terms used on this board are not using vulgarities....there are plenty of sites I've seen that would make the use of the term "urine" seem rather minor. At least for the most part, CPF members are keeping the vulgar terms to a minimum. Just IMO, YMMV.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I believe I originated the term "rotten dog urine green" when I received my first CMG Reactor, and the color of light it produced reminded me of when a dog goes #1 against a wooden mailbox post with green algae growing on it; the puddle of pee acquires this sickly greenish color after a few days.

I'm not sure when or who substitued "cat" for "dog", but it stuck, and I believe I've used both animals' old urine as a color descriptor for heavily green-tinted white Luxeons.

Trying to drown flashlights in a {vulgar term for poop}bowl is another phrase I've used rather extensively on my website; if this pisses people off, I'll start removing it from pages it appears on. The only flashlight I've ever tested in the commode was the Heliotek HTE-1, because it was too long to be tested in the sink. And I used the cistern for this test, not the bowl. So it was still clean afterward. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I won't change that web page because I really *did* test the flashlight in the john. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

flashlite

Enlightened

I have a cat that has been banished to the basement because of a behavioral problem which causes him to pee on carpet. Since the basement floor is concrete, he's been doing an excellent job of using his litter box. About ten months ago, he did manage to find a clear plastic bag to relieve himself on. I haven't had the courage to go near it yet. I can tell you that rotten cat urine looks more like your typical American Ale....not green at all. In terms of beer hues, I'd give it about 9 units on the Lovibond Scale .

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said: ...The only flashlight I've ever tested in the commode was the Heliotek HTE-1, because it was too long to be tested in the sink. And I used the cistern for this test, not the bowl. So it was still clean afterward...

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Ahhhh...now the truth come out! You always talk about the toilet test and now we find out you only did it once! You sly dog you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know I "believe everything" I read! I feel so "used" now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif