Energizer HardCase

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is posted or discussed before, I searched but didn't get any results, the HardCase is not available on Energizer website but I guess I share it with you guys. It's available in Australia, don't know about other countries though..

While strolling around the store(safeway) today I found something new hanging on the shelf. I made my decision in 1 second and it's sitting inside the shopping tolley. It's not the matter that it is affordable(AUD$19 ~USD$13) but it certainly looks well build for rugged use. The second thought came to my mind is a luxeon mod... More on that later. Third though, CPF!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The body(yellow parts) of the flashlight is made of very strong and durable plastic. It's very hard to flex the light. The rest of the part is rubberized(black parts). The rubberized system makes HardCase a very smelly light! I suspect this is recycled rubber(tyres) same material they use to make garden hose. It helps alot as a damping material when you drop the light.

Apart from the lens I think the HardCase is very durable. The tailcap is abit loose, despite having an o-ring. It is a special o-ring with the inner side flat to mate with the body. The light is secured with plenty of screws. 5 philips screws(2 hidden) and 4 hex screws. In addition, plenty of glue to make sure modders have hard time prying! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif On the top of the light body is a switch. It's made of very soft rubber, it's quite weak can be punctured by sharp objects, but it's very comfy for doing 1000s of presses per minute. The switch is push on push off switch, no momentary function. Apart from that, the shape of the light is very ergonomic, fits in my hand nicely with good rubber grip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The circuit uses a 9012 transistor and another unidentified transistor and a few more parts. More on this tommorow.. 50 hours from two AA is nothing to shout about but not sure if it's regulated system. I like the output very much. It's like a spot light with no spills. Looks very much like an Inova X1 output. The lens system makes HardCase useful for throw and also closeup work.

My guess is that this is aimed at builders who want a low power torch. Look at the color scheme, black and yellow.. ain't that look like a stanley screwdriver?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
there wasnt any glue holding mine together - not a bad light though
very happy with mine - also got the 2d model running on 7aas in adapters - and a kpr112 globe
its very bright with good thru

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mind is stuffed with glue, all the plastic legs broke when I pry it apart. I guess they are trying to make it waterproof.

You like the new tyre smell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So anyone in the US seen this?!

Vince.

Azreal911

Enlightened
i haven't seen this light out in canada yet. but looks really cool to throw around. only thing i didn't like about it was the single led for 2aa's! but that never stopped you guys in cpf to "mess around" with it.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
At it's size I was expecting a 1 watt or equivalent until I read Nichia at the back. Think about it it's pretty silly.. 2AA driving 1watt for 50hours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen these at my local Lowe's Hardware.
I passed on it though because it seemed a bit high priced and I already have the 4D Energizer Hard Case lantern.

I'm just not a fan of the beam that the lens in front of a LED produces.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The beam looks pretty close to the one in my doublebright light I got at lowes on clearance for 9.24. It uses and overdriven 5mm with a lense also. I would have to see what premium they put on the light to make overall judgement. I have seen several lights with single LEDs in a large case with prices equating the size of the case more than the light output.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the big 4-D model from Home Depot, but I've never seen this LED model.
-Chiphead, Austin,TX

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you have an office Depot they have the 2LED eveready lanterns for about 3.50 or less I believe. I thought about getting one but decided I was going to one day just buy a full 4AA krypton lantern and mod it with LEDs for about 5-6.00 from either target or walmart.

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
4.jpg

Somehow I don't think any of us can say that would be "The toughest flashlight you'll ever own" .

Seeing the insides of mass market retail consumer electronics products is fun. They all use 200% more plastic than they need so you think there must be some serious equipment in there. Then you discover there are about 50 cents worth of parts hot glued together in one little corner of whatever it is you bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif