13W HID bulb in 12cell DragonHID

Lexus

Enlightened
I ordered a HID light assembly which contains a 13W HID bulb and reflector from Trail Tech for my 12cell DragonHID. Voltage input range for the 13W HID bulb is 12.0-14.8 Volts DC. How does this affect runtime, lumens and color temp? I guess runtime will decrease but total lumens should go up and color temp should increase a bit in comparison with my 10W HID bulb. Is this correct?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... What about the ballast? I'm sure the ballast used with Solarc does match the lamps... If you try another brand lamp you could pop it up... Sincerely, DragonHID does work properly the way it is. Well, it is up to you, but DragonHID will no longer be offered. I have no DragonHIDs at all, they were all sold. If I had one I wouldn't try experiments... Call me conservative if you want to.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
all the bulbs are the same, doesnt matter what ballast, and 13watt bulbs do not exist, they are all 10 watt, just that the ballast overdrives them to 13watts.

Greymage

Enlightened
The TrailTech lights use the same series WA bulbs, which are 10 watts. They call them 13-watts for marketing reasons - that's how much the ballasts use, the bulbs themselves only get 10.

I had some concerns about the DragonHID since I measured my battery pack at 19 volts open, and none of the WA ballasts are rated for that, but it seems to work. The bulb does seem overdriven though, which will reduce its life, but since you can get replacements from TrailTech for <$50 that's not as bad as having to order $120 bulbs from WA.

I had no problems putting a bulb from the TrailTech HID in my DragonHID (did this because I had ordered the 6 degree and decided I wanted the wider light).

Lexus

Enlightened
Replacement parts for <$50? I had to order the whole light assembly. They told me they only sell the replacment parts to customers who have their lights. And they also mentioned they had too many problems with "do-it-yourself" people. Hmmm...I wonder if they ment us crazy CPF guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Anyways tomorrow I should get my 6° degree bulb from TrailTech which will cover my throw needs, if I want a wall of light I use my 13° degree one which came with my DragonHID.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Problems with do-it-your-selfers? I only blew up one 21 watt ballast! And I never returned it, I just bought another one