Neck rub
Take a nap
Power down PC and go for a walk

I hate headaches.

lymph

Enlightened
haha Sasha, thanks.

I took excedrin. Hopefully it'll help.

Neck rub/nap/power down PC will have to wait 'till after work.

2dim

Enlightened
Many different headaches. Check the internet. I found one excellent site, but unfortunately don't remember where. Might have been called migraines something. Don't take thos drugs too often or a rebound effect will occur. If you want to provide more info, I may be able to help. Best overall advice is to lie down with something cool over your eyes, in a quiet darkened room. Sometimes fresh air will help.

2dim

Enlightened
You can also massage uppermost part of the spine between thumb and forefinger tip, putting pressure where the neck curves in at the top. This especially good for migraine relief.

Greta

Flashaholic
Seriously... caffeine. Drink down a Mountain Dew. The active ingredient in any of those "headache" meds is... caffeine. Don't get diet Mountain Dew either... the headache could be caused from low blood sugar too so if the caffeine doesn't work, the sugar will. Then follow up with a big glass of water... on the off chance that it's just a dehydration headache.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
What Sasha said. My ex wife would get horrible migrains and the doctors weren't much help. One finally prescribed a medication that had caffine as one ingredient. We later discovered that a No-Doz and a coke would work just as well and was much less expensive.

2dim

Enlightened
My migraine med is Cafergot [1mg ergotamine and 100mg caffeine]. Must be taken very early in the headache. Start with two, then one evey half-hour until pain stops, to a maximum of six, and ten a week. Not to be mixed with certain other drugs. Makes me nauseus, therefore I use 1/2-1 gravol also. There are much better stuff available, but expensive, so government only provides this. If you already consume a lot of caffeine, it may not be advisable or as effective. Ask your doctor, or if no help there, see a neurologist. Most common sure sign of migraine are visuals, not to be confused with what you see after shining your flashlight in the mirror and staring at it.

lymph

Enlightened
I took an excedrin with caffeine and I feel better. Not 100%, but a lot better than before. Phew...

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
I lay down with a cold rag on my forehead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor Raggie... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Motrin

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm. Good stuff.

I would always get migraines at work. Read somewhere that raising a computer monitor's refresh rate can help eliminate eye strain. Tried it - it works.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I used to take some weird med combinations back when I had migraines. I'm lucky that they went away with age. I *do not* miss the flashing/dancing lights, throbbing head, throwing up, etc. :eew:

These days I've come to realize most of my headaches are tension related. Excedrin tension headache works great for those, but I guess I'm too sensitive to the caffeine 'cuz I'm kinda shaky afterwards (I don't drink coffee). Given a choice between shaky and headache, I'll take shaky, twice.

Sasha, good advice on the Mountain Dew, I'll have to "do the dew"+tylenol or one of the other pain killers one of these days. Does the caffeine work equally well with Ibuprofen or Acetaminofen? (sp?) Thanks!

Edit: One more question. It seems like I can't change the refresh rate on my LCD. Is this something you can do only with CRT's?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you should be able to but you just can't go higher then the native pixel resolution of the LCD. LCDs don't look good when down-resized though. Unlike a scanning CRT, each pixel is either "on" or "off" so interpolation has to be used and the text looks fuzzy. I would love a nice 19 or 20 inch LCD but don't have one because of the downsize problem and the native resolution is just too small for my poor vision.

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:

Edit: One more question. It seems like I can't change the refresh rate on my LCD. Is this something you can do only with CRT's?

[/ QUOTE ]