Brinkmann Legend LX

Odin

Newly Enlightened
Reading this forum made me look through some of my stuff in the garage looking for some flashlights (I thought I was strange for owning so many flashlights, but I see that I'm not nearly as bad as some people so I feel better already).

In addition to my Magcharger I found several AA Mini Maglites and a variety of cheap lights (all plastic and probably under $10). I also found 2 Brinkmann lights that appear to be a Legend LX model. They're silver with rubber grips, a larger head than the body, xenon bulb and operate on (2) 123 lithium batteries. I bought these lights while in FL on vacation a while back and stopped using them after their batteries died, which means about 1 or 2 uses. Now that I take a closer look at them they appear to be really nice lights.

When I got home from FL I stuck one of these in my pickup (along with a Mini Maglite in the glove box) and one in the saddlebag of my H-D for roadside emergencies. Unfortunately, the protruding tailcap button seems to have gotten pushed and both went dead before I ever got the chance to use them so they ended up in my toolbox in the garage. Now I'd like to resurrect them and do whatever it is that I do with all these flashlights.

Does anyone know the approximate candlepower/lumens for these lights? How do they compare with the "tactical" mini lights like Surefire, Pelican, Pila, etc. Any way to keep them running without going broke buying batteries.

Odin

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
electronics4life said:
Where are you buying batteries? You can get the lithium 123 batteries for $1 each from a cpf sponser. Batterystation.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now I'm buying my batteries from batterystation.com.

Harrkev

Enlightened
Just keep one thing in mind: The newer ones do NOT focus (apparently due to threat of a lawsuit, but that is just a rumor). If yours are the old kind, where the head twists to focus, then hang on to them. This is a poor man's Surefire.

*edited for spelling.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are good lights as an inexpensive tactical light and the beam compares favorably to the other mini tactical lights. They are not necessarily the best choice as an emergency/breakdown light due mostly to the short runtime. It may be possible to convert them to use rechargeable pila batteries if you want to run them a lot. It would probably require a bulb change.

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
This is a poor man's Surefire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a couple of the "old" style with the twist to focus, but I already knew I was a poor man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I don't understand how a focusable light could invite a lawsuit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HunkaBurninLove said:
But I don't understand how a focusable light could invite a lawsuit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It would seem that in the flashlight industry at least, there are a lot of patents and trademarks on things that you wouldn't expect. Even things as simple as which direction you print your company name on the light. It is hard to bring out a new product that doesn't infringe in some way or at least get sued for infringing even if it does not in fact infringe. Apparently there must have been a patent on a focusable flashlight of that configuration and locking out the focusability by installing a screw in the head was necessary to resolve the conflict.

Odin

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Harrkev said:
Just keep one thing in mind: The newer ones do NOT focus (apparently due to threat of a lawsuit, but that is just a rumor). If yours are the old kind, where the head twists to focus, then hang on to them. This is a poor man's Surefire.

*edited for spelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, these do adjust spot/flood. I bought them at a WalMart in FL last August for $20 each, which I thought was a decent price for a rugged, bright little light. That tailcap switch should be protected, though, because it's easily pushed if you aren't careful where you store/carry the light.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new ones can EASILY be made to focus!
They either have a roll pin put in them or a dimple stamped in the focusing thread. Fix 1= remove the roll pin. Fix 2 Drill out the dimple. This has been discussed and photographed in previous threads. The focusing threads are still there- the head is just blocked from turning. Take the front off and you will see.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights