Surefire L2 LED advice

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
Hello

Been a lurker for sometime now. I just got my AWESOME L2 in the mail today. I love the thing to death.

I did something stupid.... I was sitting on my couch with my L2 and E1e and for some reason I put the L2 LED head on the E1e body just to see if it would light up dimmly. It didn't light up due to not enough voltage. So I reassembled my l2 and e1e. That's when I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. My l2 didn't light up.

I know white leds have to have a certain voltage to drive it, and has to have a resister in the circuit.... But I see no evidence of the led burning up....

How can I tell if it is blown or not?

Thanks in advance

briteguy

Newly Enlightened
L2 head would not get blown out by 1 cell. You might try cranking the head to the body tighter to ensure both negative and positive contacts are made. Good luck.

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
I have tried a fresh set of batts. It has the whine w/o the head on the body and I am pretty sure the circuitry is in the body. At first I thought it was in the head. I also tried cranking on her to some extent to make sure the contact was true..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

luxlover

Banned
Does the E1e work with the bezel you were using before the switcharoo? If it does work, then take a tissue and wipe the top of the L2 body's leading edge. Wipe the pin on the L2's bezel that makes contact with the body. Wipe the contacts on both fresh batteries. Spin the bezel on and off the body a few times, just in case there is a contact problem, and tighten the bezel pretty good on the body. Make sure that the tailcap is engaged enough to prevent it from being in lock-out mode.

You could not destroy anything in the bezel by having it mate with one battery, when it was made for two. Worst case, SF will replace the bezel or the entire light without any trouble.

Good luck!

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all your help. Nothing I've tried has worked. I wrote to the website I had bought it from and they said they would replace it no problem. They told me to call surefire tech support also and I was amazed in how fast I got to talk to a person. It didn't do any good though, so I am most likely gonna send it back and have it replaced hopefully.

Thanks again

luxlover

Banned
Jolly (not so jolly at this time, huh?),

Don't give up yet. Considering that the L2s are still not available to every dealer in any quantity, I would suggest that you try a little harder to find out what went wrong when you mated the L2 bezel with the E1e body. There is nothing on the E1e body that could do mechanical harm to the bezel. The leading edge of the body touches a ring which is connected to the emitter negative, and the top of the battery touches a pin which is connected to the emitter positive. Would you tell us everything you did so far, and what you mean by "it must have pushed those two tabs down?" in your post in the thread titled "Just ordered an L2." (by Spango). Are the two tabs collapsed now, whereas before they were protruding?

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it bites a bit.

All hope is not lost.... Waiting for another email from the webmaster. I would say the positive-pin/post/bump/do-hickey (techie term) is the thing in the middle... and the other 2 pins on opposite sides would be the neg. Kinda on the floor plate/ring/emitter-toucher. And I don't really remember if they were protruding the surface sticking up at me. It appears that they have been pushed down slightly, moreson flush with the floor plate so as I cannot get any tiny pick/awl/microbit type of tool under to raise them. In my feeble attempts to do so, I heard a distinct metalic plink, mostlikely aluminum. Pop cans make a very good replicant sound.

So, as soon as Spango gets his new toy he might be able to shed some light on the subject. No pun intended. I'm 99.99% sure it is a contact issue but really don't want to take a chance when a refund/warranty will be out of the question....

I've tried all the suggestions that Brightguy, kinfebright and yourself have offered. I cleaned every contact surface, installed/removed the bezel a couple thousand times, tried w/o the o-ring on it to give me a few mills. When I installed the bezel on the E1e, those two tabs seem to be the perfect layout to touch the top of the threaded body. Not the threads themselves, to the very top if shining the ceiling. I guessed that there are more threaded surface area on the e1e than the l2, so it possibly screwed on too much thus squishing the tabs downward. I don't remember any distict hinderances screwing her on. Thats about it. Besides being a bit mad the rest of the night. Then I did break the cover on my old PDA. But I still use it as much as my ocket pc... That made the night more interesting.

briteguy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thanks

jollytoker,

I read your reply in the L2 Reach thread, regarding you getting another L2 if the dealer you purchase from is not helping you out? I thought that I should reply here because it it your thread.

You can always send your L2 back to SF for repair/replacement. Because SF only sells the lights that pass their QC (i.e. no seconds on the market), they guarantee their lights regardless of whom you bought them from!

Call SF and ask for a return authorization number. Your situation definitely does not sound like you abused the light. SF will take care of you.

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thanks

Thanks.

I haven't heard from the website and I email them one last time. Then I'll call surefire direct and get an RMA number etc. It isn't abuse, it's gross negligence...

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE!!!

I am happy to say I got my newer L2 in the mail late lastnight. I is even better than I remembered. The hum was almost competely gone compared to that last model I had.
It is a truely awesome light.

Later

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
Re: UPDATE!!!

Yes, I agree.

I was very happy about it. Except the wait. That wasn't fun.

They still don't know what was wrong with it either....

Weird