M*glite Solitaire 3W Luxeon Star Mod

s2k

Newly Enlightened
My friend is making some of 3W Luxen Star modded Maglite Solitaire, it is direct driven by a rechargeable Li-Ion battery as you can see in the pictures.

A small metal part is specially made for heat sinking, this is not shown in the picture.

Because the voltage of rechargeable batts are around 4v, so the LED is fully powered, so you can image how bright it will be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mag1.jpg

mag2.jpg

mag3.jpg

the last pic shows moded Solitaire in the left and X5 in the right, it's an early 1W prototype, the final thing will be even brighter.

maybe later my friend will make a batch of these and share on CPF, but now we are still seeking the comments and suggestions.

sorry for my poor english, hope can make myself clear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Patrick

s2k

Newly Enlightened
sorry i don't have a lux meter to test.

my friend told me, it can keep about 30 mins in high brightness, followed by 1 hr lower output.

it's quite enough for a normal use, maybe charge once a week?

Krit

Enlightened
How about heat transfer. I think DD with Li ion will give current nearly 1 amp to Luxeon and will get hot within 1 minute.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks good. id be interested in one if the price is right. I already have some of the 14500 cells so i wont need one in the package. Whats the price going to look like?

Shane

Kiu

Enlightened
There is a lot of heat for DD the lux3 with Li-ion. I doubt it can withstand the heat for more than 1-2mins.

S2k,
Will you plan on placing a resister on it or using a High Vf lux3? still looking forward to it.

s2k

Newly Enlightened
Shane:
the battery used for this is 10450, same as AAA size and smaller than 14500.

for the heat sinking, it woun't be so bad, the current prototype can be held in bare hand on for 10-15 mins, i think it's enough for normal daily use. my friend is still working on this, the thermal conductive compound is also used in the bezel for better heat sinking.

hope the later product could be better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
nice to see you here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the expected time frame for a finished product offered to CPF? What will be the cost of the light, battery, charger?

Looks cool. What is the run time? I expect a low run time. Which means it needs a way to operate in longer run time mode, like a two way switch or Andrews three way switch.

Thanks

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an interesting mod.. but there are some things to point out... a LiON battery is rated for 1.7W maxiumum.. in testing i've run a lux3 over 3W from an AAA... but more realistically.. 1.5W for about 1/2 hr is what can be expected from a single AAA... i would not recommend starting current over 500mA, so if it's simply direct-drive no resistance, there is a good chance with a low-bin emitter like a J.. it'll draw like 900mA to start with.. double the battery's rating.

If the emitter is a "K' or "L".. that would put it more in line with what is described here.. (or if throttling with a resistor.. i use a 1/2 ohm resistor in mine in 'hi' mode (1.5 for medium 10 for high)..

The runtime does fall right into place for about 1 1/2W.. maybe as much as 2W starting just like mine.. and it will only get 'fairly toasty' in my brass light.. i imagine the aluminum light will get a little warmer.

in any event.. i'm planning to sell a bunch of brass versions of the same concept.. thread is in BST here I don't expect i'm really 'stepping on any toes' here.. i'm intentionally throttling back the power to about 3/4 to 1W to get up to an hour of runtime, and it didn't sound like this was aimed for 'mass market'.. if it is.. i'm up for some friendly competition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any thoughts on price? charger? etc with this light?

-awr

ps.. nice mod.. lots less work to make your reflector!

s2k

Newly Enlightened
Pocketbeam:
hopefully i'll have the first few pieces within this month. i don't think it could come with two stage levels now.

GreenLED: yes it will come with charger and battery, about the price, i can promise it will be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn: your peak AAA mod is nice. for this one, actually it's my friend doing the mod, he is still working on it, so i'll post more details later when he think it's right time. :p

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be having a brain-fart and totally forgot that a solitaire was a AAA not an AA. If the price is right i'll for sure be in for one of these. especially with charger and cell.

phoneguy

Enlightened
I would be up for several of these, price pending.This should be an awesome little light!Please contact me when available.
Thanks
Bryan

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
woah man, woah man, gotta have gotta HAVE!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif once you make them! hopefully we're looking at either a 2 week or until xmas timeframe here....

neg

s2k

Newly Enlightened
More pics coming:

20041020215650342.jpg

20041020215718692.jpg

2004102022239181.jpg

the pics are still 1W protos, old proto to the right, new proto to the left.

the samples will come with bin code SYAKW 3W LS LED.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

s2k

Newly Enlightened
about the price, i WAS thinking about $59 and a $5 shipping

HOWEVER I FORGOT THIS:

the terrible currency rate now:
cc.gif

US$ to SG$ rate is almost 7% lower than 2 month ago, and KEEP DROPING...
so I have to add a few dollars to cover this. and the 4% paypal fee... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

how about $69.95, covered shipping and paypal fee?

i'll have 4 first run samples for CPFer's very soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the set will include a light, with original M*g packaging, 2 AAA size Li-Ion batts and one DIY charger.