Taking a flight with a Glo-Toob? Wondering

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
Right now I'm spending a vacation in the US. I have just bought a Glo-Toob to bring with me as a flashaholics Souvenir /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
The more I look at this thing the more I wonder where I best put it for my flight home tomorrow?! It probably looks nasty under X-Ray. It has electronics in it/a rather solid Aluminium Tube at the inside and no light bulb or anything. A security officer could easily think it some kind of an
explosive device... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What do you guys think is the best. Put it into my check-in Luggage or take it with my carry-on? What should I do if they want to seize it? What are my rights. Could you imagine TSA seizing it without notifying me if it is in my Check-In Luggage?
I do not want to get in trouble and of course I want to bring home my souvenir savely. On the other hand, I do respect the need for intensivly security checks!

Any hint for me there??
Where are you frequent flyers in the US out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Holger

greenLED

Flashaholic
Put'em in a clear plastic bag and stick it in your carry-on. If they have questions you can turn one of them on and show them they are only lights.

Last time I traveled I asked if I could nearby when my bag was searched. They let me watch from a distance but I could've answered any questions right away since they were aware of my presence. This may differ depending on the airport's security setup, though.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked luggage gets a lower level of scrutiny because you don't have access to it in flight. For that reason, I think it would be fine there. I would check it. Of course there is a slight chance it would be stolen from your suitcase, though.

If you carry it on, you are much more likely to be questioned about it, but you would be there to demonstrate what it is, so that should be fine also. I wouldn't worry about it and just do what is convenient for you.

If you are really worried about it, shipping it ahead in a package is always an option, but I don't think that is necessary for a glo toob.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your recommandations guys. I have found the original packaging with the Operation manual and I have decided to put it back in there and have it in my carry-on luggage. I'm presuming I would best explain the glo-toob in its original packaging to a non flashaholic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Holger

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Original packaging AND in the checked luggage.
Probably the best way of transporting one of these via flying machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your hints and opinions.
I have done it as mentioned above (original package/Carry-on) and no questions at all were asked?! This has been my 2. flight originating in the US in the past 12 month and security checks on both flights where "very relaxed" to say the least.
No questions asked, didn't have to take my boots off, nobody wondering about various flashlights, several boxes of SF123 Batt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and a laptop computer on my carry-on.
In Germany for instance, they scanned my complete carry-on 3! times, questioned me 4 times about who packed my stuff tested my Laptop computer for explosive substances on a routine basis...
At least I got home safe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Holger

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatda think of the glow tube? I ordered one from a camping website as I was looking for battery operated light sticks that you can reuse. Well, that search did not turn up much for me. I found something that used EL, the disposable light tastic things and the glo tubes.

I find it was a bit dim for the white one compaired to a light tastic light stick, but the worse part was the fact teh website said it uses an N battery when in fact it uses a 12 volt single cell one the size of a n battery.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Whatda think of the glow tube?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a funny toy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Honestly, I could imagine it would fit the bill for marking divers at night and stuff like that. For me, the only duty this light will see is probably marking my tent about twice a year. Not that I would need that... but since I got the Glo-Toob.
So Batteries and light output are no real issues for me. Anyway, the more I play with this gadget the more I can imagine using it as a marker beacon for times when I'm walking/standing on the street (beeing a cop, this happens every night)
Holger

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need a marker, the nighttize market may be better in that case.