Google desktop search released

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bit. (Oink oink! I'll be a guinea pig! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

My machine's making the index at the moment.

Has anyone else tried it yet?

Apple will include something more integrated and available to any app (named "Spotlight"), but kinda like this in its upcoming OS. I wonder if this will be a problem for them. Well, looks like this is a ".exe" only app for now anyway.

Since the search is done through a regular browser, but just on the local machine (via loopback address 127.0.0.1:4667) I wonder if it's possible to access remotely via that machine's IP address and that port number 4667. That's the limit of my knowledge of port usage, but I'm hoping it doesn't open up a gaping security hole for others to search stuff on my machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[edit] WAY COOL!!! IT WORKS GREAT!!! I typed "pancake" and instantly it found my pancake recipe that I wanted to put into the CPF recipe book. Really, it was instantaneous; No flipping sand-filled hourglass, no nothing, just BAM. Done. Here are your results. I'm sold so far. Now to test on WinXP with the "Windows Firewall" turned off and some other stuff.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
yes, but does it send any information back to Google? I know there was a concern about this with GMAIL. Also, I think Windows came with an indexing service but most of the tweaking websites tell you to turn off indexing as it slows down your PC

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Ok, just looked at the policy:

Your computer's content is not made accessible to Google or anyone else without your explicit permission.

For more information about what Google Desktop Search can do, please see the Product FAQ.

What information does Google receive?

<font color="red"> </font> .

Personally identifying information, such as your name or address, will not be sent to Google without your explicit permission.

How we use unique application numbers, cookies and related information.

Your copy of Google Desktop Search includes a unique application number. When you install Google Desktop Search, this number and a message indicating whether the installation succeeded is sent back to Google so that we can make the software work better. Additionally, when Google Desktop Search automatically checks to see if a new version is available, the current version number and the unique application number are sent to Google. If you choose to send us non-personal information about your use of Google Desktop Search, the unique application number with this non-personal information also helps us understand how you use Google Desktop Search so that we can make it work better. The unique application number is required for Google Desktop Search to work <font color="red"> </font> .

Google Desktop Search uses the same cookie as Google.com and other Google services. If you send us non-personal information about your Google Desktop Search use, we may be able to make Google services work better by associating this information with other Google services you use and vice versa. You can opt out of sending such non-personal information to Google during the installation process or from the application preferences at any time.

How do I keep Google Desktop Search from indexing or displaying certain files?

If there are any files or other data that you do not want indexed by Google Desktop Search, there are several ways that you can keep this data from being displayed, copied and indexed, as well as ways to remove it from the index after it has been included. You can see specific instructions on removing items in the user guide.