good throwing led

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
Are there any leds that have throw comparable to a xennon light. I'm concerned about the lights that have the xennon bulb assembly how they just go out without any warning. sometimes i just don't have an extra assembly with me and i don't want to be in a situation where i need a light and the bulb goes out. I have a keymate and a sl tt 3c and like them for an area light but sometimes i need to see across the street.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that depends more on the reflector in the head than anything, or the optics. Do you need sidespill? If you don't, the TIROS assembly in the Inova X0/T1-T3/X03 series may help you. If you do need spill, I'd suggest maybe a Surefire L6, or an Aleph 3/2x123 combo with a Lux III if you're willing to pay for a custom-built light.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Everled in a 3 cell maglight will give you decent throw too. As already mentioned, the SF L6 and the Inova T3 are some of the better LED lights for throw. You could probably check out some of the lights from Elektrolumens and the PM6 LED as well.
Remember though that the color spectrum from an LED differs a little from incandescent light. Long throwing incandescents are better than LED's for long distance spotting because it seems easier to make out what you are looking at.
But, if you just want to see across the street, any of the above lights should do the trick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Inova XO3 / T3. I use mine to follow trails of reflectors at night, and have pretty much replaced my PM6 incand with this light. It has astounding throw for an LED. The two hours of runtime is a nice feature compared to a PM6, too. The PM6 incand has a lot better output and throw than the XO3 - with fresh batteries. If I just randomly pick up the two flashlights with whatever batteries are in them, it's usually closer to a tie. (I know that's not fair - but it ends up being a realistic test for me...)

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
How about the sl tl2 for throw. How does it compare to the tl2 xenon.

stockae92

Enlightened
pretty much what they said, for throw:

X0, X03/T03, SL TL2/TL3, PM6, SF L5/L6, Madmax LuxIII WO w/ Faren LP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the inova's. I have a xo, xo3 and a t1. Throw is same or better than a small xennon light (depending on there design) .Really nice to have.
The tl2 led and tl2 xennon are different animals wearing the same clothing. The xennon will blow away the led (at least till the batts weaken)(I have both).

If your asking specificaly about the tl2 led, It's a nice light. Smallish hotspot, but nice usable spill.Throws futher than my mn03 E2e. Mine is visibly green but still nice with good runtime and it can stand on it's tail which is a nice feature I like to have.

Of course the L5 and L6 are good for throw compared to others. I've seen a L5 (still waiting for my backorder) it throws quite a bit better than the L4 although the L4 is unbeatable at close range IMO (really lights up a room)

I've heard the pelican m6 led is a nice thrower too.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elektrolumens throw pretty well......at the expense of any usable sidespill. If throw is #1 priority, consider an EL light.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Silly me, I forgot to mention the new KL1. It hasn't left my side since it arived a few days ago. I was just outside. It's misty raining and very dark. Comparing it to my L4 was interesting. In tonight's conditions the KL1 made the L4 look like it had dead batteries. It has nice throw. A little better than my T1, not quite as good as my XO3.

Indoors the L4 is far superior, but outdoors the new KL1, at less than half the price is brighter, farther reaching, and much more effective when scanning the unknown.

Aloft

Enlightened
I was amazed when I took my T3 out at night. It was kind of foggy, so I got a good look at the beam divergence. This light really throws as well as any LED torch I've seen.

My furthest thrower is probably my Elektrolumens Tristar 4D. But I don't think it's produced anymore, it's huge compared to the T3, was more expensive, etc. So the T3 is probably "king" of currently produced lights for throw.

My EverLED in a 3D Mag also has decent throw. . . I was surprised to find that it at least equaled the original bulb.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aloft said:

My furthest thrower is probably my Elektrolumens Tristar 4D. But I don't think it's produced anymore, it's huge compared to the T3, was more expensive, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4D Tri-Star is NOT produced anymore, you are correct.

However, the Tri-Star Phaser (4C cell) is still produced, and gives the same lumens as the 4D did (less runtime though).