What is a Grey kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened
I've seen several metions of the Grey kit. I didn't do a complete search, but did run across the Grey kit post in the archive. Wa sthe grey kit a $20 DIY mishmash of LS parts? Why were they called "Grey" kit? Were they anodized grey? Wish I would've been around when those things were selling for $20! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. It was a good idea, though I really can't say it was my idea, but ultimately Peter's. Funny thing. Initially I didn't even get one. By the time I got around to it, they'd all been sold. I did end up getting one though, eventually.

Grey Kit:

ArcLS01.jpg

Not the best angle, but you get the idea.

Side note, mine no longer has the LD, but a HD.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orion, IIRC you were looking for some of these on BST recently which I found a bit odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That reminded me about the threads up there which just came in handy now.

Hallis, the price was nice back then, but I also find interesting how these little ideas turned into actual products, or ummm, more like semi products. I imagine this could have been where some of the Arc modders started their 'careers'?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The grey kits consisted of 2 sets of rev1 LS parts. These were factory second or unfinished parts. We included 2 sets with the thinking that you could get at least 1 working light from the parts.

I named them "grey kits" because they reminded me of the term "grey goods" from my carpet days. Back when I was a broker, "grey goods" were rolls or fragments of carpet that were offered at a discount by the manufacturer but had no warranty. They usually were rolls damaged by forklift, the dye wasn't quite right, etc. The discount was usually pretty steep. We would have contractors who would specificaly ask for grey goods because you could get some pretty good carpet for cheap.

Peter

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the history behind these. I had thought they were just unfinished, "in-the-grey" kits for building your own. Thanks, Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.