Concept...mini Flashlight: "miniMonster"Luxeon LED

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concept...mini Flashlight: \"miniMonster\"Luxeon LED

Hi All,

OK, I am a Dreamer... I accept it... I donno when this LED will be out or wether this is available currently.... but... here is a Concept from my mind...to the design board.. and to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...

umm... Check this thread first....

The Thing.. that i am dreaming of is... this LED.... .. i call it "miniMonster Luxeon LED" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
pwf_ruler.jpg

Capable of 40 Lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... ooh its HOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif... ****

Based on the above picture & http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS49.pdf (the Datasheet)... and.. uuh.. http://www.lumileds.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=17 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had been thinking of making a miniMonster Luxeon LED Flashlight. This will be the Brightest (for its size) LED Flashlight & Smallest in size, runtime expected could be 30 Minutes, LED will be driven (DD basically) in range of 300 - 100 mA

Powered by SR68 Cells (75mAH) (3 of em in series)... I checked SC Current of single cell was 0.7 Amp.... for 80 Seconds... and then reducing to nothing up to 6:30 minutes. (10 Amp DMM Shunt) ...

Here is how it will look from top (ok, it looks dirty... but look deeply)

SR68MiniMonsterTop.gif

Here is a section, I have not put any dimentions, but I have detailed everything that would be needed for a CAM job on a CNC... including the 3D Model for the Light... (any large scale / first run... interests ???.. please PM me...for the drawing details... )

The Light has overall dimentions of about 9.98 mm in Dia and 39.92 mm in Length

SR68MiniMonster.gif

Note the Parabolic structure created combined by the "Optics" and the "Reflector" (part of bezel) ... the focal point of the Parabola is where the LED Recides.... so we can expect a good beam .... in the range of 6 - 12 degrees (as run on 3D Simulations) with a good side spill too...

The "optic" needs to be made up of acrylic but a custom machined .. again details for this have already been worked out. it is similar to the 5 mm LED, the RI of the optic should not be more than the RI of typical 5 mm LED's Acrilic, we need to change the profile for other materials, i am mainly thinking of a Ultra Transperent Epoxy... which will provide a good scratch resistance too...

Further More... this design can be easily modified to take N, AAAA, AAA Cell with of course a "Regulating Sandwitch" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I am currently in a process of CADing the light for a AAA & "sandwitch". Also, we can even DD it with a AAA Sized Li-Ion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

**** HOT Thing, has been taken care by 2 copper D's which also act as the Contact points for the LED, the LED is directly mounted on the 2 D's.... (again details have already been worked out)....

The machining needs to be very accurate, i do not think, i will be able to build this ever (locally) .. because it needs CNC CAM job... (thise kind of facalities are not available here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

so.. .its still a dream.. perhaps will vanish.. with time... unless some one is really interested in it...

-ViReN

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Concept...mini Flashlight: \"miniMonster\"Luxeon

I won't say too much about this because there have been other bullet sized flashlights before.

I will suggest maybe a different direction of thought. With prior LEDs we have been able to make super small lights for the keychain. The batteries tend to be the defining factor, even so with this led. Instead since this led is so THIN, why not tie it to a super thin battery. So mount this led on a credit card sized battery, and boom you have a credit card emergency light.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PocketBeam .... I am new to this (building lights etc) ...

the above design can be modified to make a N Cell (with converter), or a AAA Cell with converter.

the SR68 Cell is able to deliver atleast some power which will make the miniMonster light for about 20 minutes @ 200 mA (this could make it brightest flashlight for its size, which includes a optics & reflector) that was what i thought while making this design...

Your idea of making credit card size emergency light is nice. of course we need that kind of batteries may be lithium 2016 could serve the purpose....

I will try to work on this....

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All,

I am Happy to announce that this concept will turn in to reality ... and will NOT vanish in to thin air...

EDIT:{Content Removed on Request}

Life... is a Journey... and you meet people... some people give you hints.. some stay by.. some help... some are angels... some people stop you from making good things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened

Hey Viren,

Any idea when this light will be ready. Please consider me your first customer...

sylvestor.

Robban

Enlightened

And also what price? If cheap enough I would definetely be interested.

mrdee3

Newly Enlightened

i'm in if price is right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened

I'm interested too,I really like your design for the momentary button/lanyard hanger...nicely done.
Mike

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am waiting for samples for the light...

I will build a prototype first... More designing details done already, It will be a water resistant light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (cannot make it water proof yet, still working on it)....

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN