Streamlight JR. Luxeon, someone just ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
commented on this light in another thread, seems pretty nice, and regulated too! Also AAs.

Anyone have one they can comment on?

Is it pretty bright?

http://flashlightreviews4.home.att.net/reviews/streamlight_jr_luxeon.htm

http://www.streamlight.com/jr_lux_all.htm
jr_lux_02.jpg

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I bought one for many weeks already since, but never used it. Because I find it difficult to carry, its simply too long. But I am very satisfied with the beam, too bad its not that "EDCable"

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
This is a great light IMHO. Very bright for a 1 watter. Regulation is very good; it just loves NiMH cells, so I'm very happy feeding it for $0 per battery change -- CR123A cells are expensive in Canada and a hassle to order over the internet. Overall, the light is 3/4 of an inch longer than a miniM^g -- some of the increase is due to the Kroll-type switch on the end which I much prefer to M^g's head-twist on-off approach. IMO, it's just as EDCarryable as the miniM^g.

The beam is very usable, with lots of spill and a somewhat lumpy, square hot spot. It'll bother you only if you insist on shining it at blank, white walls all the time. Not bad at all considering the light is only about $30. I consider it to be a workhorse-type of light. Too bright for close work (use a 5 mm LED type of light for that) and not great beyond about 125 feet or so for loooong throw -- in this very large middle range it works just fine. It works great as a light for walking, especially being so cheap to feed.

If you carry an Arc AAA on your keychain and a SL Jr. Luxeon on your belt or in your knapsack/briefcase/toolbox, you're set for 99% of tasks. All the rest can be handled by the outrageously bright and expensive CR123A-powered Surefires.

In my mind, it's the replacement for the miniM^g in the new millennium.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is brighter than can be, very white.

A bit slippery, I added several large O-rings to the barrel to help grip.

Love the use of AAs.

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
I bought one for many weeks already since, but never used it. Because I find it difficult to carry, its simply too long. But I am very satisfied with the beam, too bad its not that "EDCable"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I like the light; it fills a "necessary place" among small Luxeon lights, but for some reason I haven't carried mine either. Run time bothers me a little, but other than that it's a nice light. Typical Streamlight bombproof

FYI Dorcy is now marketing a light that is made by Shinfung/FavourLite (see thread on Nuwai) that looks to be "exactly" the same light (or close to it). We'll see what that one retails for. I have several of those on the way to me courtesy of Dorcy I'll compare the two and post what I see.
Have a great day, all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Krit

Enlightened
I think JR use BW02 PY0J the light is natural white. But it slippery when in my hand particulary when momentary switch on.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I have one of these, and have commented in other threads. It's a great light for most tasks, well-built, and you can't beat the price.

Christopher, I've noticed that you seem to be hitting all the commonly-admired lights around here. Good taste. As someone who only become a Flashaholic recently, let me share with you some of my favorites, all in one place. I consider all of these "must haves" for the budding Flashaholic.

UK eLED 4AA -- I know you have seen many comments on this one. Enough said.

Streamlight Jr. Luxeon -- Again, lots of comments on this one.

Arc LSH -- This is my EDC light, sits in my back pocket next to an extremely small wallet. Bright, durable, well-made, and expensive even when I bought it. Now that Arc is out of business, they will only get more expensive. If you see a good deal on one, get it!

Elektrolumens Hyper-Blaster 1R -- 2 x D, so it's a larger light. Fully-regulated to 8 hours of bright runtime. This is what I use when I need a bigger light (I do volunteer search and rescue work, and am an EMT). Sometimes you just need something brighter. This is also big enough (barely) to hit someone with if necessary.

Streamlight Scorpion -- Just bought last night. This is an incandescent powered by 2 x CR123 lithiums. It's small, and brigher than anything I have. I have a night SAR excercise tonight, and I'm going to put it through its paces. The advantage of a light like this is that it has a much longer throw than any LED light. Sometimes you need to reach out and touch something. Not necessarily a "must have," but so far seems like a good value performer.

I hope one person's perspective helps!

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bonvivantmike said:

Elektrolumens Hyper-Blaster 1R -- 2 x D, so it's a larger light. Fully-regulated to 8 hours of bright runtime. This is what I use when I need a bigger light (I do volunteer search and rescue work, and am an EMT). Sometimes you just need something brighter. This is also big enough (barely) to hit someone with if necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the Hyper-Blaster is partially regulated. Wayne has said several times in the past that his "regulated" lights use partial voltage regulation. (unless he just suddenly changed the circuit recently?)

Having said that, any regulation (even partial) is much better than no regulation, IMO.

2dim

Enlightened
"It'll bother you only if you insist on shining it at blank, white walls all the time."

Oh man! That reminds me, I gotta stop doing that, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ledy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thanks bonvivantmike!

Hehe, shining it at a blank, white wall most of the time... that's what I do (the rest of the time is shine directy at my eyes!).

2dim

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
ledy said:
Hehe, shining it at a blank, white wall most of the time... that's what I do (the rest of the time is shine directy at my eyes!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just before sleep it gives me really weird and colorful dreams...
...oops, better not try this one at home, kids! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bonvivantmike

Enlightened

357, you're probably right about the partial regulation on the Hyper-Blaster. My mistake.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I agree on the cr123 or any other lithium battery type
flashlights. If your not in the USA those battery types are $$$$$$$$$!.

I am curious as to your approx 30$ streamlight JR. I've only been able to purchade mine (here in Canada) at 49$+shp+tx (lowest price I've seen)?

Also to any one else. I noticed the mentioning of the DORCY 2AA 1 watt mini maglite version. The dorcy web site has little or no info on this product with the exception of
the 1 watt claim and a photograph of the packaged flashlight.

I would be nice to have any opinions on this DORCY version, including just what type of led bulb there is in that flashlight. Hrmmm 30 hours on 2AA's 1 watt. I find it dificult to believe that it's a terralux luxeon type bulb.

Thanks

yt

NF

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Snickers. I wonder if shining or staring at a led light in one's eyes or on a white wall is a form of self hypnosis...

OOOOOO Buy more led'ssss BUY More LED'ssssss You can not resist... Surender to the LED SIDE OF THE LIGHT.

Fzzzzzzz 5 watt LED light saber. Darth hasn't a chance.

rdshores

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Northernflame said:
Hi.

I am curious as to your approx 30$ streamlight JR. I've only been able to purchade mine (here in Canada) at 49$+shp+tx (lowest price I've seen)?

[/ QUOTE ]

$29.95 here: BRIGHTGUY.COM

Azreal911

Enlightened
be careful on ordering from anyone that only ships through UPS going to canada. I've ordered a streamlight 3N before from brightguy and stupid UPS tagged on another $15CDN as brokerage fee and taxes!! it doubled the price of the light coming here. This fee is NOT from brightguy, it's from the courier company and they charge whatever they like i find. From now on i'll never use UPS again for shipping. another friend had a brokerage fee of 60 bucks from them once for a 150 dollar item. seem's like highway robbery to me!