The light pipe reborn

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LightPipe has been reborn!

For those that don't remember, the LightPipe was a project I initially completed in July. It was a 35W, 10 degree MR-16 bulb fed by a 10 cell SC NiMH pack, built in a piece of 2" PVC tubing.

Here is the original sitting beside a 2D MagLite:

lp1.jpg

The original was 12" long, made from black plastic that had a tendency to melt and smoke after running for about 5 minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I finally got around to ordering some aluminium tubing and other metals to re-create this beast in a form that wouldn't melt down in short order.

After hours of filing, cutting, drilling, tapping, and some swearing, here is the result (sitting next to a 2D blue MagLite):

lp2-1.jpg

lp2-2.jpg

My least favorite part is the clips that are holding on the endcaps. I was hoping to put screws into the end of the tube, but it wasn't thick enough (1/8" wall thickness), and a 3/16" wall thickness tube cost twice as much, so this will do.

It's now only 8.5" long, instead of 12, so it's easier to handle. The i.d. of the tube is now 2.25" instead of 2", so I was able to fold the battery pack in half (so it's a 2x2 cluster, instead of a straight 2x1 stick) making it over 2" shorter. I can't even tell that the tube is any larger.

Beamshots are identical to the previous incarnation, here's a refresher:

(5W VV0S@750mA in a Mag 2D on the left, LightPipe on the right, shots of my garage)

lp5.jpg

lp6.jpg

Can't wait to take this thing for a walk tonight...should light up the park quite nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks.... original...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Runtime?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 hour with a 35W bulb.

Took it out for a walk with the wife tonight. It's like carrying a car headlight with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now now... put a 150 watt one inside would ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 50 or 75 watt MR16 bulb would work. I think I found 8-degree 50 and 75-watt MR16 bulbs once (but can't remember right now who made them)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you managed to shorten it by a few inches, nice work. I do really like the black plastic looking one though. both nice stuff. How hot does that little aluminum puppy get in your hand? I imagine the heat spreads fast.

Shane

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier, I left it on pointing up (so the heat would be concentrated at the top) for about 15 minutes, and the top of the light was getting just barely too warm to hold, but the bottom half was just above room temp.

Last night walking around (about 50F outside) I had the light on for a good 15 minutes continuously, and the head of the light (right around the bulb) was just barely warm. So with just a little airflow, this light can pretty much run continuously. The body of the light has about 66 square inches of surface to dissipate heat.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Measurements for everyone

Just got a light meter. Here are some numbers:

Mag 2D Luxeon V mod (on the left in the beamshots): 3560 lux
LitePipe: 7300 lux

Twice as bright AND a wider beam!

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evan I jsut ordered some Osram 50 watt IR bulbs, they are equivilant to 75-80 watt MR-16 but way more efficient. They also make a 37 watt version that is equivilant to a normal 50 Watt MR-16...

They are the IR Sylvania-Osram brand bulbs Make sure you get the ones with the IR in the part number if yu decide to try them out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, and the 50's are also avail in cover glas but you HAVE to call cause they don't list the part number in their PDF, I have ti someplace if you need it. I can't rememebr but I know the have a 10 deg, thats what I'm using on my quad for light right now, 2 of those 50 watt 10 deg. Ihtink they have a 24 or 28 deg etc but you would have to go to their website and look through the PDF.