Small LED for hiking

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a small LED for illuminating the footpath on nighttime hikes. I will be carrying a Pelican M6 incand. for spotlighting the critters, so this is just to avoid stepping on the diamondbacks (they do hunt at night, you know!).

My criteria are fairly strict---something about the diameter of my trusty CMG Infinity Ultra-G (~.75 "), but can be a little longer (up to ~4-4.5"). As much as I love my Ultra-G, I need a bit more light. My first try was an "Xnova" clone, which is fine size-wise (a little bigger than the Ultra-G), but the 5 LEDs put out, if anything, less light than the Ultra-G, with a lot less burn-time!

I want either AA (cheap) or CR123 (can use the "tired" cells from the M6). Cost is a factor, so those beautiful little Peak LED solutions models might not work (but if they're really great, come on, talk me in to it).

Would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Ratso

Enlightened
I've been recommending the UK 4AA eLED a lot recently, because it works so well for just about every task! I think the 4AA is perfect for camping/hiking. The output is not tremendous, but it provides enough light for 90% of my tasks. More importantly, the light runs for nearly 12 hours at a constant brightness. The light is very tough and reliable. It is waterproof to 500 ft, and the yellow color makes it easy to spot if dropped. The flat side by side configuration fits fairly well in pockets. I recommend you check these out. They are only $20 at BrightGuy.com.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I go night hiking about 2-3 times a month. Go out around 6pm and come back about 1-2 am. It's nice and pitch dark now with the clouds rolling in more often. I literally cannot see my hand in front of me when I'm 4-5 miles into the woods.

Headlamps are good because it keeps your hands free for a walking stick and/or GPSr. I don't like to wear a headlamp for a 5+ hour hike so I usually just keep it in my pack.

Some suggestions in the $30 range:

Petzl Tikka Plus Tactical (black or olive drap, the tactical version does not have the ugly orange and has a flip down red lens) $30

Inova X5t: Decend runtime and nice wide flood $30

ARC AAA on neckstrap: Good for quick close up lighting $30+

Princeton Tec Surge: Initially bright, tapering off to a moderate beam for decent runtime ($25)

chumley

Enlightened
I think that the Gerber Trio or Inova X5t would be perfect for your needs. The Trio uses 2 AA's and is semi-regulated, the X5t isn't regulated, but still has good runtime. Both are smaller than mini mag.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gerber Trio. 3 white LEDs, 2xAA, tough, water resistant, good looking and relatively inexpensive. I bought one from The Battery Station a couple of months ago for $20.00.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You fellows are great, and your excellent suggestions are forcing me to be honest with myself about what I want: can't do a headlamp, and I guess I do care about looks (I'm shallow!)---so the UKs and Princetons won't do. I want that beautiful metal look/feel.

A Streamlight Jr. Luxeon a few inches shorter, a CMG Infinity Ultra-G a bit more powerful, a Peak LED Solutions Kilimanjaro a little cheaper! Inovas look good, but are too thick in the waist. Gerber Trio appealing, but too long and tall (seems like a good mate for my SL JR. Luxeon).

I'm beginning to think that Peak Solutions is the solution. My Scotch blood is rebelling, so if any of you more experienced CPFers can talk me into/out of it, please speak now!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wish the ARC AAA were $30.00, I would still be thinking about getting one when I get the funds.
there is also the uke 2L and buying the seperate ELED module for the 4AA version which works with it.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peaks are small and lovely lights, but my McKinley has too narrow a beam to be very useful as a hiking light (same problem with the various multi-recessed-led Chinese lights).

Since I like spill in my walking lights, the next useful (cheap) step up I've found violate one or more of your conditions (Ceemore too big, PT Attitude too plastic - but is an excellent walking light, etc.).

Some of the custom lights like the AA TNC look good, but are fairly expensive. If someone else doesn't find the magic light for you, you may want to think again and prioritize your desirements.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nightcutter lights are rather nice. My red LED chartlight (3 LED's), red anodized head and body, runs on 2 CR123 lithium cells for a claimed monstrous 400 hours (!), and last I checked you could get your name laser-engraved on the light for free. I believe it's also the smallest 2 CR 123 light available. There's some ringy-ness to the beam which I've solved with a small piece of Scotch satin tape over the end of the bezel. A nice little touch is that the light is machined with a short rim around the end of the bezel which helps shield the red LED's from your direct vision.

I think I got my Chartlight for under $30.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the Peak solutions AA, make sure you get the hi-output version.

14C

Enlightened
KL1 on a VG FB1
or
KL1 on an Aleph 1X123 with a McGizmo 2 stage.

KL1 on a VG FB1 is small and uses CR123 batts.

Likewise on the batts for the KL1 on an Aleph (or for that matter E1E) but the McGizmo two stage gives you a choice of power levels.

I have a LEDSupply lux in a McLux Bead Blasted Black head driven by a Micro Puck and using a sox17 reflector. The head is mounted on a VG FB1. I have adjusted the clip so it snugs up when I clip it in my shirt pocket. Really nice for night walks.

For hiking.......I told someone this once...just before they lost an expensive light...use a clip AND a lanyard.

paulr

Flashaholic
How about the Streamlight TL2 LED or the Pelican M6 LED? I'm not sure how those compare in cost to the Peak LED's that you're thinking of. Are they too big?

The Inova X5/X5T are nice lights but may not be bright enough for your purpose, especially with tired cells. They'll sure run a long time though.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
You have a Pelican M6 & you want something brighter than a Ultra-G. You seem to want a light about the size if a Ultra-G, but brighter.

I think you need a Luxeon light. I don't think a 5mm LED light like a Peak or X5T is going to be enough brighter than your Ultra-G for you to be satisfied.

Something like 14C recommended or a E1e/KL1 or a Aleph 2 1x123 with a Luxeon III. A McLux 1x123 with a McFlood would be perfect if you could find one. Maybe a Fire~Fly, these are shorter than your Ultra-G.

If you could accept a little longer light a Surefire L1 would be great or a E2e/KL1. In length these are about half way between a Ultra-G and a MiniMag.