HELP!!! Streamlight Strion or Twin Task 2L???

mls

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new to this forum, having found my way over here from forums such as bladeforums and spyderco forums. I've been trying to make a tough decision and I figured you guys were the right people to help me make this decision. So here it goes:
I am considering a new flashlight. This light would be used when working in the Bronx for EMS purposes. No, no, no, not for checking pupils (80 lumens or so might be too bright), but as a light for illuminating dark apartments or streets when working night shifts. The light would also be used for walking my dogs at night.
So- the two lights I'm debating between are the streamlight strion and the twin task 2L. I really like the fact that the Strion is rechargeable and has 80 Lumens of brightness. I don't like the fact that this light is 105 dollars (store nearby home) and I'm not sure I can convince myself spending this much money on my first light is worth it (i'm sure i can get some help from you guys on this, right?). Second, I would also like to have the light at home in case of a black out or similar situation. The Strion only has about 70 minutes of continuous run time between charges, and I'm afraid this might not be useful during a blackout or emergency situation. Third, I'm worried that If I try to use the Strion to read something at night, the light reflecting off the page might be way too blinding.
As for the Twin Task 2L, I again like the fact that this light is around 80 Lumens. I really like the 3 LED option as well. I feel as though this might be a more suitable light for close-up operations and it won't blind my dogs if accidentally shown in their eyes while walking. The big thing I don't like about this light is the battery life of these 123 batteries. I have a cheaper lithium battery light with xenon bulb (Dorcy is the brand I think), bought at Costco, and the battery life sucks. I know the 3 LEDS will extend the battery life instead of using the xenon bulb constantly.
So, who can help me out? I'm sure the overwhelming opinion of those out there will be to just buy both, but I'm not up for that at the moment. Any suggestions? Any comments on the Strion (I haven't been able to find too much on the forum)? Any help out there?

-MLS- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Hello, and welcome to CPF.

Well, I have a TT1L and from the looks of it, I can't see the 2L putting out 80 lumens, but perhaps I am wrong.

I must tell you that my TT-1L is a favorite of mine due to the dual lights, but I have to tell you that the incandescent just didn't live up to my expectations.

If a general flood light is what you need then you are in business, cause the LED will provide generally good illumination for a long runtime, and the incandescent will give you more light, but at a shorter runtime. If you want a light that can throw a beam, ie: to read house numbers, I don't think the TT-2L would do, yet the strion would be perfect.

Remember, if you buy the strion, make sure you take into consideration how much you are going to use the light and whether the cost of batteries is going to be a factor with the TT-2L.

I am sure more people on this board will come in to give some more responses soon, and do post more questions if you have them.

Greg

Krit

Enlightened
Hi mls, I have one strion and use to see the 2L light. 2L light is more flood with suitable for walking as well.

Strion did narrow light with more throw than 2L and E2E. We can charge li ion cell and save more money. But notice that Strion cann't use 2 x lithium 3 volt when the battery is running out. Beware you have to carry the charge too when go far from home.

If you plan to use for just walking I recommend 2L.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TT2L incan produces about 25 Lumens. It looks almost identical to my Surefire E2O, except that the hotspot is more diffuse so it doesn't throw as far.

The TT2L and the Strion are two very different kinds of lights, so naturally you should buy both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the Stiron since it is rechargeable. You could put a charger into your vehicle and keep it in the charging cradle until you need to use it. I too use my Flashlights everynight to run my dogs and the lights that get used most are my rechargeables. I switch off between my SL-35X, SL-US, and Tigerlight and the three just mentioned are all capable throwers which I need. If you are going to use your lights daily which it sounds like you are I would again, go with a rechargeable. You could easily recoup the cost difference between the lights you mentioned in not having to have to buy the lithium batt's.

A solid OnLine Flashlight Dealer who is well respected by a lot of us on this board...

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10980290072566582&sku=STR74002

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum. As a CPFer, did you know you can purchase 123a batteries for $1 each? Here's the link:

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

I think you should get the TwinTask 2L. It has all the qualities you want for reading, walking the dog, and blackouts. The Dorcy Spider you bought from Costco should serve you whenever you need more throw. Just buy a bunch of $1 123a batteries and use the lights how you like. If you are that interested in rechargeable, just hang on for another year or so, there will probably be a quality rechargeable 123a soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

davidra

Enlightened
I've got the 2L. It is a great light for the money. And it puts out 72 lumens on the incan, not 25 (according to Brightnorm). The ONLY thing I don't like about the light, which some have fixed by modding a clickie, is the fact that you have to cycle incan to LED everytime you want to use the LED's. Irritating more than anything else. It's not a great fantastic light with a Surefire beam, but it's for sure worth what it costs and it's very functional. You can even get one that runs AA if that's important. Great glove box light.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I own the TT-2L. It's a good light. I don't know about the lumen output, but it has a much brighter beam (incandescent) than either of my Maglites (3C and 3D). It's got a very nice, smooth beam as well.

The LED mode is great for closeup work, with typical output for a 3 LED light.

The Strion has a great reputation, but it sounds to me like you might be better served by a Twin Task.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A Twin Task with the tailcap drilled and tapped for a Kroll switch makes a VERY VERY useful light!

As has been said, the incandescent beam is smooth, but lacks quite a bit in brightness. But that's ok, because the LEDs are good at least 70% of the time.

That was my EDC before I got the light of my life (Lambda 3W Drop in for a Minim*g).

mls

Newly Enlightened
You guys have definitely provided very useful info. I think I've got a plan. I am going to buy a box of 123 batteries for my Dorcy spider as a back up light at home (in case of a blackout where my strion dies), and i'm going to get the strion. It just seems that for repeated use every day, a rechargeable makes the most sense. If I find the strion too bright for certain close-up work, I do always have an ARC-AAA LED that I got as a gift from my brother. Awesome little light that's always on my key-chain. Please continue to offer suggestions if you have them, and thanks again for the feedback!

wwglen

Enlightened
The Streamlight website says 72 Lumens. That is an exageration. It is about 1/2 the brightness of my Brinkman LX or my Scorpion (generally accepted to be in the 65 range)

wwglen

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a point. For EMS work, a rechargeable sure is a plus. The Strion probably is the best for you. If you order it from Brightguy.com, you could also get a few spare li-ion batteries for it, I think $28 each? (get a few spare bulbs too) If you need the Strion for close up work, maybe one of Surefire's beam shaper filters would fit over the front of you light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif