Z2 switch

detenebrator

Newly Enlightened
Is the tailcap switch on the Z2/ G2Z the same as on a regular G2, or is it improved (lockout type). Is there a clickie which fits the Z2?

suppin

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap on the Z2/G2Z is a lockout tailcap, which is not the same as the non-lockout one on the G2. I think the clickie tailcap for the classic series is the Z58, however, the finishing is in HA, not BK. I'm not sure of the part number of its equivalent in the BK finish. There is also a clickie with the shroud that comes in BK finish, the Z49.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Black (not HA Black) version of the Z58 is the Z59.
Al-swts.jpg

davidra

Enlightened
15S, for those of us that aren't Surefire aficionados, would it be possible to post somewhere a description of the differences between all the clickies that are available? What the differences are, what they fit on, etc?

K-T

*Moderator*
Davidra,

from their function none of them is realy different. There are two groups of clickie switches. These with (Z48,Z49) and these without (Z58,Z59) the rubber shrout. These with the rubber shroud are longer, the rubber sleve is there to protect the light from accidental switch-on. Thus these clickies without the rubber sleeve need to be locked out! The rubber sleve can also be removed. Both styles come in two colors, either HAIII or black. While the Z49 doesn't have a very scratchresistand black coating, its smaller brother with the same mechanism but without the shroud is black hardanodized.

Basically it's all in his picture above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Al-swts.jpg

The Z48/Z49 and Z58/Z59 do not have the same click mechansim. There is a difference in the feel of the click switches. The Z48/Z49 Clickies are the same as the SW02 for WeaponLights - this mechanism is built for battle and it is very popular.
Here is a photo of the shroud removed.
It isn't that easy to remove the shroud and I have failed in my attempts to replace those I have removed.

The Z58/Z59 appear to have been created after the "E Series" Z57 Clickie - the aim being to offer a more compact clickie for the standard body SureFires [such as the 6P and the M3 etc)
The "Z58/Z59" clickie TailCap is used in Black HA by the U2.
I don't have a Z59 - you may notice that the TailCap labelled in my photo above is Black HA when you compare it's finish to the Z49...
Anyway, Some models look better balanced with the Z48 compared to the Z58 - for example the M4 I think looks better with either the Z48, or in fact, the SW02. It certainly helps grip and activate it. The shroud also offers some impact protection if the light is dropped (although the M4 is likely to hit bezel first in the majority of cases).

The other day two Z58's arrived - one of which has the most amazing touch - significantly softer and almost silent click mechanism. Depending on your requirements, a positive, harder to activate click mechansim could be more desirable because it is less easy to accidently click giving you the ability to use the momentary on/off more easily.

An important aspect of SureFire's click switches is that they allow momentary on/off use of the push button pressure switch. I find this a very valuable feature. I am surrounded by click switch flashlights - I remember telling PK that I didn't like click switches. It turns out I just didn't have experience of well designed ones until SureFire introduced them to their lights.

Al