X5 waterproof ?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey just wondering how waterproof the Inova X5 is supposed to be ?
i just took the battery out of mine and dropped it in the pool (about 2 metres deep) and left it there for 2 mins
a little bit of water leaked into it (i dont know where from)
the o ring was properly lubed with silicone grease
just wondering if anyone else has experienced this - and will it kill my light ? (it seems to work ok now)

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X5s have made it through snow, rain and a good dunking or two. You can not go wrong with silicon grease as this is recommended by most manufactures. Just make sure that there are no dents around that steel ring on the face. What I've learned is that if you back off the tail cap you can rock it back & forth. This maybe your breach point.

chiphea

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem making things really WATERPROOF (i.e. IP68 look here ) is that water molecules are 1000 times smaller than a hair, so when they are pushed (pressure) they can find a way to come into almost anything. High pressure water jets are used even for cutting 100mm/4 inches thick stainless steel parts...but that is another story.

Water and pressure is a terrific combination, and getting a IP68 10 ATM ratting is difficult and expensive. If you want a real waterproof device you will have to look for something specifically designed for that purpose. If you need just a weatherproof flashlight any of the quality ones will do the job, as they all use o-ring, epoxi and greases, that means they will survive to very rough conditions... but not the combination above mentioned.

At this point I was sure first units X5 (just twist on) were really weatherproof.. am I wrong?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beating you gave the X5 is definitely above it's design parameters. It was never meant to be totally waterproof at this depth (see barbarin's post). I myself dropped both my X5s in my bathtub in maybe half a foot of water. No leakage, no problems. That's more than I expected, so I'm perfectly happy with the result.

That said, if you let it dry for a few days (without batteries or tailcap) at a warm place (window sill) and re-lube the thread it should be fine.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my X5T in our 4' deep pool once. Found a little bit of water inside afterwards.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I take my X5 in the pool and the hot tub at least 5 days a week with no problems so far. .

BBL

Enlightened
There are plenty of lights with e.g. 50ft depth rating - seems it can be done.
For me it would be sufficient if i could rinse a flashlight with flowing water, but that seems already too much for some $60 lights from a wellknown maker of diving lights...

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
BBL, who are you talking about?? I can tell you personally I've had my Pelican SuperSabrelite to 125', and my brother brought his PT and UK lights to 110'. .