In search of a greenie to mod!!!

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i have just joined this forum as i am going mad with the idea of green beams. I have found out more info about green laser pointers than i already know as a result of reading unhealthy amounts of your forum in the last few weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Before questions - about me. I live in west Wales in the UK - actualy as far west as you can go - and on the top of a hill so i think a green laser pointer would be brill for me! My dad owns a local shop and we have an endless amount of red lasers to sell and take apart but there is nothing in them!! <font color="green"> Enter green lasers!!! </font>

I am looking for a RELIABLE source for my first green one as I want to have one that i can mod in both ways - optical and pot - so that means one that has not been opened up and i want to get the most out of it - obviously! but i have a few questions:
1. How easy is it to get to the optics to do the polarisation turny thing?
2.How easy is it to get the button back on once you removed it for a pot adjustmant?
3.Bit silly really but not quite sure - what is a mod-2?
4.Is it ok to order from the UK an illegal 5mw unit?
5.MCA, OC mirror and KTP - what are they?

Who do you recommend to get it from wickedlasers, atlasnova, abeland1 (are they both the same?) or someone else?
But i want one that hasnt been opened up before so i can do a bit of modding on it myself and that way it would be cheaper, right? thankyou for bieng so patient ANY help is worth it

Thanks

P.S. are they easy to focus?

Hi, Leadlight units will not be able to be modded anymore by turning up the pot, there will be no hole under the button, and the "pot" itself will be glued to prevent any change.

Chris

robertbick

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wickedlasers_com said:
Hi, Leadlight units will not be able to be modded anymore by turning up the pot, there will be no hole under the button, and the "pot" itself will be glued to prevent any change.
Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are talking about the new Leadlights with the little LED. Atlasnova still has the old ones, that's what I got two weeks ago.

If you want a good cheap one to mod, call abeland1 (Atlasnova). He has the best deals.

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
Would a 1mw version be very bright or able to see the beam in DARK conditions if at all? Anyone?

:[EDIT]:

I have just read a post about a 40mw greenie from z-bolt wrote by FNinjaP90 and made it sound easy to get the ir filter out but i thought it was hard to get inside the leadlights (maybe it wasnt a leadlight??) also with the ir filter out will the ir light be in the laser beam or like a torch?

Myx

Newly Enlightened
You'd have a hard job seeing the beam on a 1mW.... without it being foggy or you having a source of smoke/haze at hand.

You can buy 5mW lasers on uk ebay (99% of which from WickedLasers). 5mW is technically illegal as a pointer, in the UK - but ebay havent caught on yet, and most people dont seem to care that much...

Failing ebay / wickedlasers - most US green laser stockists will happily post to UK.

As for removing the IR filter on a Leadlight. No - its not hard... its just hard to open up a Leadlight and remove the DPSS module in order to do so. Its possible, but difficult; and its gonna scratch your laser barrel quite a bit in the process.

Removing the IR filter wont make any difference to the percieved brightness of the laser. Its just going to give you laser thats more capable of burning things... and causing permanent, irreversible Eye damage.

From my rather crude understanding of IR light - I think it disperses quicker than visable light..... but I dont know if it would be described as a "torch" effect....

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
How would i stand to sell those <5mW units in a british shop - could i just tell the police that people have been told that they have to use them in thier own home only - that would be ok - right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
Actually thinking about it as abeland1 and everyone are selling >5mW units on the internet would it be the same for me to sell them in a shop in britain as after all if you can sell lasers that cant be used legally on the net then why not in a shop - as long as i dont show people what they do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened
I believe the european and australian law is that you cannot have anything over class 2. A class 3a in USA is classified as a class 3b in eurpoe and australia.

It is legal to own one but not to sell them and if you import alot you will have to show customs that they are onder 1mw

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few moddable 5mw leadlight first generation greenies if anyone is interested. Dont PM. email me with addy in my profile.

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
so auss you mean that it is legal to own a 5mw in uk but not use them and it is legal to own and sell a 5mw unit but i shouldnt demostrate? HELP!