Will it hurt an lsl-p to run on 2x123 >>????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeforceFX

Newly Enlightened
Will it hurt an lsl-p to run on 2x123 instead of 1x123 i have a 2x123 from my ls3 i want to use to run the lsl-p i put it on it and it made it brighter. But im scared it could mess it up will IT>? and if it will what mod can someone do to let it work properly.Want to run 2x123. I like the longer form factor.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Not recommended...

Even if you are very lucky and don't force out some magic smoke, efficiency would suck (excess electrons converted into heat).

I'd suggest contacting one of the ARC modders around CPF, since the circuit itself is running at a specified output and increasing the input voltage will do very little to change the output.

cy

Flashaholic
don't do it, you would be sending up to 6.6 vin. if you had a five watt, that might be OK.

GeforceFX

Newly Enlightened
ok Then so its bad idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif was bright gets hot quick works fine though but bad idea i see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif what mod has to be done to a board with a lux3 and 667ma in order for it to accept 2x123 and not hurt it but make runtime longer hence the use of using 2 batteries to get longer runtime ? PLease let me know cy i know you know the answer i hope ur stuff and input are always great. Thanks in advanced and where can i get a dummy 123 at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would need to swap the actual board for a Downboy type buck convertor. No easy job, but i know there are at least a couple of people working on a replacement heatsink that would make it much easier.

***You could also try using a Pila 168s. It's the same size as 2 CR123 cells and rated at 3.7v nominal. It's still slightly too much voltage, but i've been using the R123 cells (same voltage as the Pilas) in my LSH-S with no problems so far.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Will a Pila 168a work in this case? They are the size of 2 x 123 batteries. Voltage of 168a is about 3.7 Might be a tad high for LS. But certainaly a lot closer than 2x123 config.

Seems to me I read in the FAQ thread of Arc flashlights that the LS3 was basically an LS rev. 2 board with a lux V on it. Powered by 2 x 123 batteries. I could be wrong on this so look it up for yourself. Apparently the LS3 was dropped from production because of the shorter life of the lux V's. In favour of the queen herself the 4+. If I had one of those battery tubes I'd be tempted to give a whirl. In the name of science of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers,
zwf

red_robby

Enlightened
you'll probably be ok if you changed the 1W to a 5W. if you want longer run time you'll need to change the board...

GeforceFX

Newly Enlightened
im going to Order some 168s batterys i think that is what you meant a normal 123a is 17mm not 19mm like the 168a the 168s is 17mm so i hope that will work hope this want hurt the luxeon what the diff btw 3.0 and 3.7 thanks for the idea going to give this one a try always wanted some pila batterys for my lights just scared to try them now i will give it a try though if this is a bad idea some one please post soon before the order gets proccessed thanks or if im ordering the wrong ones let me know thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif THank you fox man ur a genious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic
to determind what is aceptable, for what ever battery(s)/board/luxeon combination you are trying to run.

You need to match up the luxeon's vf (forward voltage) with the cell's voltage (vin). If combined cell's voltage is too high, then a downboy can be used to step-down voltage to correct range.

when running a single li-ion cell, be it pila 168, 14500, 14430, R123 etc. the battery's chemistry determinds the output. for li-ion range is from 3V-4.2V. Fully charged at 4.2v and depleted at 3v. If you deplete li-ion cell below 2.5v, permenant damage occurs. full charge can never be realized again due to anode damage.

a kbin vf is ideal for single cell li-ion use. I've run a single R123 li-on with my BB750 X4T (5watt) successfully for quite some time.

MM+ Tbin works great with R123, same for BB tbin sammies and single li-ion cell.

WARNING: when using li-ion cells. remove cell at first sign of dimming. then measure voltage a few cycles to make sure it's not going below 2.5v. Usually it will be aprox. 2.8v at first sign of light dimming.

GeforceFX

Newly Enlightened
SO it will be safe to use with a luxeon 3 watt cause its lights at 3.7 to 3.9 so should be safe i think Going to try it anyway im pretty sure if i didn't fry this 1watt ld when i used 2x123 then a 3.7 v isn't going to hurt a luxeon 3 at all even if it is 4.2 off the charger RIGHT? hope im right if not now i feel like a fool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
If bad things happen to the emitter ie. it lets out all it's magic smoke, then replace the emitter with one of higher vf. No need to feel like a fool. Chaulk it up to science and carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers,
zwf

cy

Flashaholic
Geforcefx, you are on the right track. only use a single li-ion cell with Kbin vf 3watt. for 2x li-ion cells, got to go with a downboy w/3watt, possible 8.4v max.

for an LS3, it deserves a 5watt. if you look you can find a Wbin 5watt. I just purchased two WX1S 5watt. S is generally the lowest vf for 5watt.

GeforceFX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks cy will give it a try /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif can't wait for the batteries to arrive how long to do initial first charge and how long does it take too charge one up ? the 168s i ordered 4 of them gonna use the heck out of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Plz tell me HOW LONG TO CHARGE THANKS> in advanced!

Status
Not open for further replies.