My mouth tastes like dentist.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I went to the dentist a week ago for a root canal (Infected under a deep filling from 7 years ago) and now today my mouth tastes like dentist. It's been off and on all week but today it's bad! I can chew a mint or brush my teeth or much on crackers but as soon as I stop it tastes like dentist again.

What gives? Any bright ideas?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably some of the antibiotic that they fill the void with after the procedure is coming out into your mouth.

Peter

sithjedi333

Enlightened
How would you know what a dentist tastes like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
If I were to make a claim like that, my grandma would offer to wash my mouth out with soap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm....
Which taste exactly?
Mediciney?
Rotting meat?
Burning hair/teeth?

The first would be the antibiotic.
The second would be an infection warning.
And the third would be debris from the drilling that was possibly trapped in some pocket/crevice and just released.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Is the root canal complete, or do you need to go back and have it finished? Is it a molar, bicuspid or a front tooth? Did the dentist give you antibiotics? Had the infection spread into your jaw? Did you have any swelling in your cheek? Did you have an abcess?

Wisti

Newly Enlightened
Saaby
The temporary filling in your tooth is defctive and because of this the desinfective medicine can come out .
The only thing you can do is to go back to your dentist and let him put in a new filling .

Frank -dentist-

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmm, well the root canal is actually complete. Needs a crown eventually but the procedure itself is done.

Well the antiseptic taste is gone but today it just tastes like rotten tooth! They did give me an anti-biotic and I've used it all up. Maybe I'll call and see what they recommend! I wish it was all in my head, but you can't imagine stuff like this!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You might want to consider having your dentist call in a prescription for Periogard (a prescription mouthwash). Tastes horrid but does an amazing job of killing bacteria. I've fought off many an abcess with this mouthwash alone (and frequent brushing).

Saaby

Flashaholic
Dentist says it's normal, so I guess I'll keep using Listerine. Lots of Listerine...

mapson

Enlightened
I don't mind my mouth tasting like a dentist but last time our family went for cleaning, we all came back feeling a little under the weather. I can't put my finger on it, just a "I think I'm coming down with something" feeling. Anyone else get that?