Angryfox        

Thread: Is there life after the Arc AAA? ...

Default Is there life after the Arc AAA? ...

I've had an Arc AAA for a couple of years and given away 2-3 as gifts in that time.

I see that Arc unfortunately is no more. Other than a Photon style light, what has taken over for the Arc AAA/AA in the marketplace? At the time I seem to remember the CMG Infinity Ultra being the next best thing. Is that still the case?

Is there something better?

Thanks,

Chris

Default Re: Is there life after the Arc AAA? ...

Maybe a Peak light?

I've got two of the Peak prototypes in bare alum. and I'm quite happy with them. At $15 each it's not a bad deal, brighter than I expected. The heads and bodies are dead ringers for the Arc. They also have them in brass with white LED's, just not on the site.

I've got something different coming from them, I'll comment on when I get them.

Mark

You mention "ARC AAA/AA", the CMG-Gerber/Infinity Ultra is still in the running!

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

I believe that nothing on the market at present completely fills the Arc AAA's shoes. Or, put another way, out of a possible 100 points, the Arc AAA scored 100 and each of the available replacements scores fewer than this. Peaks are close, but not quite, since none is as small as the Arc AAA. For a stopgap until something else comes along that's better, I'd suggest the Peak or the Gerber Ultra, or even, dare I say, the Dorcy 1AAA 1LED as an inexpensive temporary fix.

peaks electronics also is'nt as efficient as arcs...

While I was a big Arc fan, I think Peak lights will (hopefully) improve as time passes. They are the closest thing to an Arc replacement I've found as of yet. Another option if you don't mind the form-factor is the CMG Sonic.

-Mike

I'm also hoping that Peak fills the gap. If size is an issue, you can order a CMG/Arc-like prototype body or a custom light.

If size isn't an issue, try the Dorcy AAA. Cheap, works fine.

I've never bought a Sonic because the phrase "dog urinator" pops into my head every time I think of the Sonic. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you can stand its shape the Sonic is, to me, a nice little light. It's as bright as an Arc AAA and just as easy to pocket. I especially like its covert type beam and easy turning switch. No, it won't replace my Arc, but it would serve nicely.